• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obscure Sets

27 posts in this topic

Has anyone else noticed in the set rankings where it says obscure sets are NOT eligible for awards and will not receive a rank. They are Placed according to their score. The rankings don't show a number there is a ? beside the name. MAILMAN

Yes---This is a brand new policy-----likely employed by the negative feedback given to obscured sets, recently, by our board members. ;) I am in favor of it.

They are still placed in the same spot in the rankings (i.e. an obscured set that was #54 will still be placed between #53 and #55) and the sets behind the obscured sets do not move up a slot in rank. I would prefer that the obscured sets are listed separately with no ranking, but this is an important step in the right direction. It may also be that this first step is an easier change from a programming standpoint than changing the ranking order and listing the obscured sets separately, which may or may not follow at a future date.

Either way... Thanks NGC.

I just noticed this today, like walkerfan I feel that the registry is about sharing your collection with others rather than just receiving awards. One of the great things about the NGC registry is that here you are allowed to share your coins in the registry even tho some are not NGC slabbed. ATS the registry is much more closed and snobbish by only allowing one brand. But the idea of sharing a collection is moot when a set is obscured. I and others voiced some thoughts about why having closed/obscured sets goes against the reason for having a registry; as usual the folks here at NGC listened to those thoughts and responded. I want to thank the NGC management for its forward thinking and responsiveness to collectors ideas and thoughts.

Wow! I think it says a lot that the host listened to the concerns of the participants and put this positive change in place. Thanks.

It will be interesting to see how many members open their set up for viewing as a result of this change? :)

What's an "obscure set?"

An obscure set is a registry set where the nothing can be seen. If you click on an obscured set all you get on the screen is the name of the set, the rank (or used to), no detail no pictures or comments zip zero nada.

Something I've always wondered about with these sets is do the people that made the set really own the coins? It would be very easy to build some sets by going to dealer sites and using certs from coins for sale. Then by obscuring the set no one would ever know; in reality I'm sure this does'nt happen oftten but who knows.

It's about time!

For years, some collectors with deep pockets have built award-winning sets in so many categories without showing a single coin. Now, they have a choice: Either post photos or forgo the awards.

Thanks, NGC!

Chris

No, photos still aren't required. I'd like to see a points bump for photos, but coins listed without photos still score the same. A points bump for photos would encourage collectors to actually share images, not certification numbers. It's the images that interest me!

No, photos still aren't required. I'd like to see a points bump for photos, but coins listed without photos still score the same. A points bump for photos would encourage collectors to actually share images, not certification numbers. It's the images that interest me!

I agree 100%. (thumbs u

I may have spoken too early about obscure sets not causing other sets to move up a slot in ranking. A look at *another* category reveals non-obscured sets *do* move up in ranking when an obscured set is above them. The programmers are making positive changes as we type. Very pleased to see this!

Correct! Photos are not required, but those sets without photos are not eligible for awards. At least that's my understanding.

Chris

Correct! Photos are not required, but those sets without photos are not eligible for awards. At least that's my understanding.

Chris

I'm afraid that they still are eligible for awards such as 'Best in Category', although they'll not win a 'Best Presented' award without photos but they can still win others.

What's an "obscure set?"

An obscure set is a registry set where the nothing can be seen. If you click on an obscured set all you get on the screen is the name of the set, the rank (or used to), no detail no pictures or comments zip zero nada.

Something I've always wondered about with these sets is do the people that made the set really own the coins? It would be very easy to build some sets by going to dealer sites and using certs from coins for sale. Then by obscuring the set no one would ever know; in reality I'm sure this does'nt happen oftten but who knows.

This absolutely does happen... for sure. Not saying that is the only reason someone is going to obscure their set, but the other reasons I can think of make less sense to me than this possible reason.

Makes ya wonder (shrug)

Shouldn’t the term be “occult sets” as in “hidden,” rather than “obscure” as in “ambiguous?”

(Obscure has multiple meanings related to ambiguous or vague, but only one referring to opaque. Occult refers to hidden knowledge – as in hiding the photos of the coins.)

Chris

I'm afraid that they still are eligible for awards such as 'Best in Category', although they'll not win a 'Best Presented' award without photos but they can still win others.

In that case, the press release seems a bit vague. It doesn't mention any exceptions.

Obscured Sets in the NGC Registry

Posted on 6/5/2014

In an effort to provide the best experience for NGC Registry participants, we have modified the treatment of obscured sets in the Registry.

An obscured set is one where the owner has chosen to have their set appear in the rank list but the details of the coins within the set do not display in the public view.

Many Registry participants have asked to compete against only publicly visible sets so that the rankings were more transparent. In response to this feedback, we have changed the handling of obscured sets. The obscured sets will still appear in the rank list. However, they will not have an official rank and will not be considered for awards. If an owner of an obscured set wishes to compete for awards or have the rank of their set displayed, they may change their set from obscured to public at any time.

Here's a nice coin...

1C 1909 S INDIAN

PCGS MS 65 RD

I own that same coin in a 66 RD!

Cool! Do you have an "Image Not Available" we can look at? :grin:

It looks identical to the image posted for the 65!

It is never the same as a pic though... come on... I want to see it!

Wouldn't a member just have to "unobscure" them for a day, say on the day when the registry closes? Could they then block them from view afterwards and still win? I know lots of people make last minute additions to bump their competition a notch. Would be the same thing, sort of.

Wouldn't a member just have to "unobscure" them for a day, say on the day when the registry closes? Could they then block them from view afterwards and still win? I know lots of people make last minute additions to bump their competition a notch. Would be the same thing, sort of.

NGC takes a snapshot of the winning sets and they are preserved in the Registry Awards area of this site. A person may make their set viewable for only a day in order to win, but the snapshot of that set will then be permanently viewable even if the active set is removed or the collector leaves the site.

As an aside, NGC had a bug a few years ago, that allowed the contents of award wining obscured sets to be viewed in the awards area even if that set had never been visible. Unfortunately for us, they found that loophole and closed it.