• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When you see a penny on the ground.....

26 posts in this topic

I pick it up and immediately send it off to be certified authentic then graded and put in a plastic slab. It then goes into my #1 TopPop Register Set that I will sell at auction in a few years and make lots of money from the poor suckers who only slab pocket change.

I have the #1 WAWA, 7-11, Wegman's and Walmart sets, and spent NOTHING for the worderful TopPop coins the rest of you missed!

;)

I pick it, but don't bother to check it because I don't have a parking lot registry set.

Chris

When I was young I was taught by my older brothers that you only pick up pennies that are face up and then you make the sign of the cross where it lay and offer it up to God. Not sure where that all came from but I still pick up pennies and cross the ground to this day.

2 weeks ago, my girl friend and I were walking across a used car lot and I noticed a penny on the ground and walked right by it and said look a penny. Well she picked it right up. It was a 1909 S. wheat in really good shape to, I was amazed. There was only a couple little minor surfaces scratches on it and they were not deep at all. The details were very nice, so I asked her if I could have it. "NOT A CHANCE IN THE WORLD, FINDERS KEEPERS" I was told, and i was the wheepers Ya that will be the last penny I will ever walk by again. Live and Learn!!!!

My signature line assumed that no one that collected coins could resist the urge to bend down and pick up any coin. I know I can't.

I haven't been lucky enough to find a keeper like your 1909-S ..... but I will keep looking. :wishluck:

2 weeks ago, my girl friend and I were walking across a used car lot and I noticed a penny on the ground and walked right by it and said look a penny. Well she picked it right up. It was a 1909 S. wheat in really good shape to, I was amazed. There was only a couple little minor surfaces scratches on it and they were not deep at all. The details were very nice, so I asked her if I could have it. "NOT A CHANCE IN THE WORLD, FINDERS KEEPERS" I was told, and i was the wheepers Ya that will be the last penny I will ever walk by again. Live and Learn!!!!

Do you suppose some clever used car salesmen will salt their parking lot with 1909S vdb pennies purchased cheaply in bulk from China, in the hope that finders will be psychologically affected and feel encouraged to buy their autos?

Do you pick it up because you are "frugal" or because you want to see the date!

None of the above. It's for four reasons, not wanting to have to break a dollar every time I'm short a penny as often would have otherwise happened.

Then to get a momentary bit of stretching exercise.

And also because of being paid at the rate of $36 an hour to pick 'em up, tax free. Since it only takes about a second to do it, and considering there are 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in an hour, the one second you spent stooping to grab the penny is only 1/3600th of an hour.

Your salary rate goes up considerably if you find them in bunches and/or if some of them are higher denominations like dimes, or if any turn out to be valuable collectibles such as 1909Svdbs.

Someone with good eyesight and fast reflexes could earn a decent living in the right places, such as streets with lots of coin operated parking meters, by going around making pick ups.

The 4th reason is that having such a lucrative occupation might facilitate making other types of pick ups.

Do you suppose some clever used car salesmen will salt their parking lot with 1909S vdb pennies purchased cheaply in bulk from China, in the hope that finders will be psychologically affected and feel encouraged to buy their autos?

yes!!!

........................... but what i dont like is on the reverse it usually says "proudly made in chungking"

also i pick up cents most all the time when i see one on the ground as i want to check the date as i save 95% bronze cents pre 1982

Oh Yea? I think that it might be getting a little deep, went out and bought some higher boots......

I pick it up and immediately send it off to be certified authentic then graded and put in a plastic slab. It then goes into my #1 TopPop Register Set that I will sell at auction in a few years and make lots of money from the poor suckers who only slab pocket change.

I have the #1 WAWA, 7-11, Wegman's and Walmart sets, and spent NOTHING for the worderful TopPop coins the rest of you missed!

;)

Don't forget to get it stickered and then write a book about it.

WAWA and Wegman's puts you somewhere in eastern PA.

I always pick up cents when I discover them on the ground. I haven't been as fortunate as some of the others who shared their finds in this thread, but perhaps someday I will discover a rare cent. Hopefully it won't be disfigured with deep scratches and gouges from a car tire driving over it. I find that is the case of about half of the cents if find in parking lots and on the street.

Oh Yea? I think that it might be getting a little deep, went out and bought some higher boots......

So I really dought you went out and bought any Higher boots also called hip waders. Why would you want to tell stories about that. I have no reason to lie or advance the truth here. I'm not sure why you would.

Gonna tell a story, tell it the right way, like as in The Truth......

I'm sorry, but it pisses me off when one person can judge another person by a story he has to share. My bad to think I could actually come in here and share something with everyone and expect to not be called a lier more or less.

For the most part I pick up every coin I see, Why I didn't that day is beyond me.

Hey Wheat's, have a good one in your new Boots...

Later All!!!

Bill, I believe your story could very well be true. There are people who carry around curious pocket pieces and this may well have been one of those.

Best of luck to all who pick up the strays on the street!