• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Worthy?

21 posts in this topic

I posted this coin in a different thread but didn't capture the color very well. These images show the light purple around Jefferson's jaw/collar that turns into light blue before changing into the yellow, orange, pink and specs of green around the rim. The reverse is a bit more vibrant in hand, than the pics show, but the colors are spot on,

From these images, does it look Star worthy to you?

1_zps7452dc9d.jpg

Full slab -

IMG_3023_zps5df21c04.jpg

Reverse -

IMG_3029_zps576c8d6f.jpg

The looks very "Gemmy" to me with attractive toning, virtually no marks and blazing luster. MS-67* is very lofty grade, which says that it is almost MS-68. That is a nearly impossible grade for a coin of this era. Maybe some might say the grade or star is too high, which is subjective, but it certainly is one heck of a war nickel.

Thanks for the opinions. Seems as though any question regarding

toning is going to get a mixed bag of responses.

Personally, this coin does it for me. I feel this coin looks better than any 43D in

67. One of our own members who is currently in the top 5 in

The War nickel series said "this is probably the nicest 43D he has ever seen!"

High praise from a guy that has spent a lot of time looking at this series.

Clearly, NGC saw what I saw and distinguished this one as having exceptional Eye appeal. I have another 43D in 67 6FS that is a great coin, but side by side, the color on this one

takes it to a higher level.

Thanks again - Mike

PS - Mark and Jason, maybe I'll see you at a show sometime and you could

evaluate it - in hand. I'd love the chance to change your opinion of this beauty. :grin:

It's a nice high-end coin but I wouldn't have given it a star based just on color. Based on surfaces and strike, yes, but just not color alone.

I'm currently sitting in my office with two coins. The coin from this thread and another 43D graded MS 67 6FS, Both coins have great strikes, as all 67's should have. The toned coin is hammered so I could see that helping with the technical grade of 67+

The fields of the obverse of the toned coin are ultra clean. There are a few ticks on the devices but very minor. The reverse has the luster graze to the left of the dome, which is not as bad as the diffused images made it look, but it's there. The surfaces of the toned coin are superior to the white coin, as well as my other 67's, and I can see that they may have contributed to the grade. I'm inclined to think this also helps with the Technical grade of 67+.

I will disagree with you on the color. I think this is where the * comes in. - Eye appeal

How many Morgan Dollars have you seen that have a sliver of a crescent of rainbow toning on the reverse, that takes up less than 5% of the coin, and have a star? The number has to be in the thousands. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. I love the vibrant crescents.

The obverse of this coin is 100% toned. Purple, blue, orange, yellow, pink and green. I think the color on the reverse of this coin would be enough to get a star on almost any problem free Morgan Dollar, Peace Dollar, Capped Bust Half, Walker, Mercury Dime, Buffalo Nickel............

Bottom line for me - I'm holding two 43D's in my hands. They're almost the same grade but one has eye appealing color. The Morgan comparison might be a little bit of apples to oranges but the two in my hands are as close to apples to apples as it gets. Looking at these two, side by side, it would be a disservice to the toned coin to not acknowledge it. The surfaces may have contributed but the color is pleasing enough to stand on it's own.

Take a look at the star Jefferson's in the registry sets and compare my coin to them. There are some with crazy/awesome color but there are also some with far less than this one has.

yes but not because of color, it has very nice/interesting surfaces. the toning is not spectacular and doesnt get in the way, kind of highlights the surfaces, i like it

It's a nice high-end coin but I wouldn't have given it a star based just on color. Based on surfaces and strike, yes, but just not color alone.

The star is supposed to be based on exceptional eye appeal. Surfaces and strike are not typically characteristics upon which the star is based/awarded.

The star is supposed to be based on exceptional eye appeal. Surfaces and strike are not typically characteristics upon which the star is based/awarded.

Interesting. For me, any coin that has exceptionally clear fields and devices as well as an exceptionally strong strike is very eye appealing. Add the beautiful toning and the trifecta of an exceptional coin is completed.

Mark, if surfaces and strike are not a consideration, are you saying that a star is based upon the toning?

Carl

Interesting. For me, any coin that has exceptionally clear fields and devices as well as an exceptionally strong strike is very eye appealing. Add the beautiful toning and the trifecta of an exceptional coin is completed.

Mark, if surfaces and strike are not a consideration, are you saying that a star is based upon the toning?

Carl

I'm inferring he also would include PL tendencies, cameo contrasts, and luster to the list.

Carl

I'm inferring he also would include PL tendencies, cameo contrasts, and luster to the list.

In trying to capture the color I didn't quite capture the luster.

The term - "dripping with luster" applies to this one. It has the "halo ring" luster instead of luster bands. Much like a lot of the early year, San Francisco minted, Morgan Dollars.

It has exceptional eye appeal for several reasons to me.

I'm once again eagerly awaiting a response from the man that once occupied a grading chair. ;)

Carl

Carl, the exceptional eye-appeal upon which the star is supposedly based, is typically awarded for characteristics such as beautiful toning or for coins that don't make full cameo/ultra cameo or PL/DPL, bur are close on one or both sides. Perhaps on rare occasions, the luster of a coin is so exceptional that it garners a star.

But the surfaces and strike characteristics which you mentioned are qualities upon which the numerical grade (and not a star) is usually based. The star is not about quality, but rather, about eye-appeal.

Carl, the exceptional eye-appeal upon which the star is supposedly based, is typically awarded for characteristics such as beautiful toning or for coins that don't make full cameo/ultra cameo or PL/DPL, bur are close on one or both sides. Perhaps on rare occasions, the luster of a coin is so exceptional that it garners a star.

But the surfaces and strike characteristics which you mentioned are qualities upon which the numerical grade (and not a star) is usually based. The star is not about quality, but rather, about eye-appeal.

Mark, I know you qualified your answer with "usually", what do you think a grade of a Ultra Cameo Star on a blast white coin could indicate? It's a slab like this that brings into question the intentions of the star in my opinion.

PF69* UCAM 1971 Half Dollar