• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ridiculous price for 1900-O

21 posts in this topic

There is a category of collectors that collect these low grade coins. I forget the term they use for these collectors. They will pay top dollar for them though.

There is a category of collectors that collect these low grade coins. I forget the term they use for these collectors. They will pay top dollar for them though.

An accept term might be low grade collector Kool Aid drinkers.

The trouble is you have to get this coins in the right holder, which is not always a sure thing.

. I forget the term they use for these collectors. They will pay top dollar for them though.

I believe they call them Everyman Set collectors but at the prices I have seen the coins priced at they sure would exclude me.

Doug

. I forget the term they use for these collectors. They will pay top dollar for them though.

I believe they call them Everyman Set collectors but at the prices I have seen the coins priced at they sure would exclude me.

Doug

I believe the everyman set's are the AU58 and lower. There are lowball sets over there as well.

Originally Posted By: rockhobby

Quote:

Doug

I believe the everyman set's are the AU58 and lower. There are lowball sets over there as well.

Sorry for the misinformation, you are correct. Thanks for the correction.

Doug

I think it's silly because I think you can rubbing and rubbing on Morgan (maybe in blue jean pocket or whatever) to make the condition fading into PO1. PO1 for $375, that's ridiculous. It's just my opinion..

Just because something is for sale for $374, doesn't mean anyone will pay that for it. The price guide ATS shows $60 retail for one of these, and a population of 10, so I'm guessing this listing is going to be collecting some dust.

Lowball collectors do go nuts for this stuff, though. Not for me, though. I have one lowball coin in my collection, an 1878 VAM 115 Morgan dollar in FR2 that was given to me as a gift. I attributed it on a dare several years ago for someone. Other than that, though, lowball stuff ranks just above old or limited production slab generations in things I'm interested in collecting. But that's just me.

I think it's silly because I think you can rubbing and rubbing on Morgan (maybe in blue jean pocket or whatever) to make the condition fading into PO1. PO1 for $375, that's ridiculous. It's just my opinion..

The trouble is you have convince PCGS that the wear is decades old, not months old.

I have never understood the concept of owning the poorest known set. It seems that would be something that comes naturally. ;)

...........lowball stuff ranks just above old or limited production slab generations in things I'm interested in collecting.......road kill!

Edited!

Chris

Agreed, lowball pieces can be rapidly produced, even in one of the tumblers used by rock collectors for abrading and smoothing their specimens.

I was interested in this topic on the angle of how significant was the metal loss by weight of those "slick" lowball pieces, and we had a discussion thread a few months ago on that subject: How much metal is lost …?

Just because something is for sale for $374, doesn't mean anyone will pay that for it. The price guide ATS shows $60 retail for one of these, and a population of 10, so I'm guessing this listing is going to be collecting some dust.

Because that is in an ANACS slab, it will never sell at that price. But if it were in a PCGS slab, it would easily go for that or more.

Agreed, lowball pieces can be rapidly produced, even in one of the tumblers used by rock collectors for abrading and smoothing their specimens.

I was interested in this topic on the angle of how significant was the metal loss by weight of those "slick" lowball pieces, and we had a discussion thread a few months ago on that subject: How much metal is lost …?

I've heard that more than a few times, however, I have not seen anyone do it and get one slabbed.

if I recall, Braddick has a very nice standing offer for a lowball coin. I forget which one....may be a later date Kennedy? Anyway, if it is so easy, contact him, see if his standing offer still stands, get the coin tumbled and plasticized, and make yourself some money ;)

I've heard that more than a few times, however, I have not seen anyone do it and get one slabbed.

if I recall, Braddick has a very nice standing offer for a lowball coin. I forget which one....may be a later date Kennedy? Anyway, if it is so easy, contact him, see if his standing offer still stands, get the coin tumbled and plasticized, and make yourself some money ;)

I was offering several hundred dollars for any PCGS graded AG03 or lower 1970-D Kennedy half and the same offer for any PO1 Ike.

The only coin I ever purchased out of that long standing offer was an FA02 NGC Ike.

Other than that- even though my prices were high no one was able to 'rock-tumbler' their way into 'producing' such a coin (successfully).

$65 to $100 in a PCGS slab is more in line.

Artificial wear is difficult in a tumbler as there is more than usual wear around the edges and rim than in the center. The centers wear more down before the edge becomes rounded in a typically worn coin.

The recent clad coinage also is stronger with the copper - nickel outside layer than anything we have seen in circulation (the same as nickels - unless you have seen some platinum in circulation).