• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's one I think NGC got very wrong

26 posts in this topic

I am not pro PCGS and like my NGC coins best in the big debate BUT in this case....

Check out the close in shots zoomed in. I don't think its a 58 nor do I think it should be in a problem free holder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-Peace-Dollar-NGC-AU58-Hi-Relief-Nice-Eye-Appeal/301140565509?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222003%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22043%26meid%3D6039034336517545567%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D9536%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D201069496242&rt=nc

$_57.JPG

I will concede that it's not an attractive coin, but it looks ok to me as a problem free AU58. 1921 is softly struck, and sometimes semi-glossy in the fields, which can magnify the typical handling lines and rub seen here. At worst, this would go down to 55, and I would not consider that "very wrong." I think the non-close-up images give a better perspective, in this case.

I believe he's speaking of the hairlines throughout the obverse. I'm undecided on whether or not it should have slabbed but since I have a better one I wouldn't have bought it! :)

The coin looks like an AU55, at worst, to me and deserving of a "problem-free" grade/holder.

It seems like a very odd and poor choice of a coin, with which to make the point "Here's one I think NGC got very wrong".

The eye appeal is sorely lacking in this example

and there seems to be a few molecules out of place...

the ion examination chamber must have been on the

futz that day so the submitters got a lucky break.

I believe he's speaking of the hairlines throughout the obverse. I'm undecided on whether or not it should have slabbed but since I have a better one I wouldn't have bought it! :)

The hairlines through the obverse are a mixture of polishing lines and handling marks, which are magnified by glossy fields.

I dont know... looks like a 55/58 to me but grading 21s are hard.

IMHO it does have a "cleaned and retoned."

I dont know if its up there in the stratosphere of mistakes though.

I think this is another thread where people are making definitive judgements based on photos. Mumu obviously thinks the coin has been cleaned but if he saw the coin in hand he might change his mind.

I see a very clear sign of harsh cleaning. I know the coin also is one of the VAM with the polishing lines namely up around the rim edges, but the harsh hairlines on the cheek alone scream harsh cleaning to me. I don't see how this is a 58. Even if wrong about the hairlines I see a 53 at best.

If in fact it is a 58 then there is something wrong with the 58 being the top of the AU rung. I don't have any 58 Peace dollars but here is another crown size coin I do have in 58 with die polish hairlining. You cant tell me these are even separated properly within the 58 grade let alone by the A, B, C coin designation. And that coin I posted isn't even the cleanest of 58s out there. Ill see if I can come across a P$ example.

1921DosPesosObvmd.jpg

There's a good chance the 1921 has very nice luster. It appears to be one of those with semi-glossy fields. Pull any State quarter out of your pocket and examine the multitude of harsh hairlines all over the semi-reflective surfaces, which were created by circulation. Sometimes light circulation wear manifests itself as a series of hairlines that can run across the entire surface and cumulatively scrape away the high points, where the most prevalent contact exists.

Id bet my bag of berries that if someone posted that as an Anacs AU50 asking if it had a shot at an upgrade they would get a resounding no.

The pics are so damn big that an MS 65 would look beat up. It's probably fine in hand IMO.

Agree. It probably looks much better is hand. I'll reserve judgment on this coin.

It's a circulated 1921 Peace dollar. There's probably nobody who cares whether it's AU-58, 55, 53, or 51.48494. The real question in my mind would be to wonder WHY anyone would pay good money to even get it certified.

As to whether or not it "should have gotten slabbed", nothing in the photos suggests that a "details only" grade would be worthy arguing. It's just a plain old lightly circulated common 1921.

Alright...its a 58. I give up. Dont see how 50 hairlines from a polishing cloth(in addition to the die polish lines) keeps it problem free but I will chalk it up to being wrong.

Alright...its a 58. I give up. Dont see how 50 hairlines from a polishing cloth(in addition to the die polish lines) keeps it problem free but I will chalk it up to being wrong.

Im with ya... If I sent a coin with hairlines like that it would get a details holder. Years ago I sent in a 34-D VAM4 that came from a half roll. All the other other coins graded. That one coin got an improperly cleaned details grade. And there isnt a hairline on it.

I agree with you about the coin. While the large photos tend to show all tiny imperfections, I thought it was full of cleaning lines and it deserved to be "details" graded.

I'm surprised at the comments from those who have more experience than me in coin grading. It just shows me I still have a long way to go.