• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats your best find?

31 posts in this topic

What is the best find you have gotten unexpectedly? Yard sale, auction, pocket change, digging in the yard, ebay etc.

I bought a handful of wheats and a 1908 Indian head from a guy on ebay and when I got them noticed it was a 1908 S

He got good feedback

I never thought that I'd be able to find a nice 1917-S Obv. WLH----Many are flat, dull and with ugly surfaces and they cost a fortune in near gem to gem condition. Not only did I find one that I liked better than almost all that I'd ever seen----I got it REALLY reasonably priced from an internet website. I called the guy on the phone and we made a deal. I was VERY LUCKY.

Picked up a 1921 high relief peace dollar from a tray of $18 pick your own dollars.

1908 Motto $20 Saint priced as a 1908 No Motto $20 Saint (MS64 PCGS). Meaning I got twice the coin.

Just in the last 2 months I got a 1956 Type 1 Franklin half in a complete proof set an 1879 MS dollar and an 1880 O dollar all for under a hundred fifty bucks TOTAL.

They are all currently being graded at NGC. I think the half comes back PF67, the 1879 MS 64 and the 1880 O MS 63. Total value should then be easily $650 if I'm right.

Man, NGC is slow at the moment.

Picked up a 2000 MS70 Australian silver lunar dragon at a pawn shop for twice melt several years ago for around $50. Sold it on eBay for around $400.

Picked up a Tidy House Morgan at an antique shop for $30 that had very nice toning.

Picked up this Hart's Gold Montana coin for $5 about 6 months ago.

img084_zpsd1ecfec6.jpg

Paid about 3 or4 X face for this and a few Kennedys.

They were in a small plastic bag at an IRS auction.

Image_0253.jpg

Image_0256.jpg

Very Nice!

This is a fun thread....I posted about this before but my best find was from when I was kid. I mowed lawns for some people on my street. An old lady knew I liked coins and offered her 1853 seated liberty as payment for mowing her lawn for about two months. Fast forward 30 years and I discovered it was the 1853/4 Seated Liberty mint error variety. I got it graded and sold it for $500 to start my gold coin collection. Nice!

A lot of neat stuff here....

I remember , as a kid, pumping gas here (35.9 cents/gal), someone was paying me a dollar and a quarter or some such trivial amount. They were counting out change from their hand a nickle or dime at a time. I saw an athiest cent ( die break and cud over the word 'God') in the change group. Sure enough, they got to the cents and gave me that one. I was on top of the world......

Paul

I forgot about this story....I went to an auction and was talking to a guy. His friend had bought a 50 gallon barrel of old roofing nails for about $20. The barrel was too heavy to get into the truck so they started taking out 5 gallon buckets of nails. After a few buckets they noticed the nails were covering Indian head pennies. They quick covered the barrel. One guy went and got the tractor while the other watched the barrel. Then they hauled it home.

i won this 1916-D raw off ebay for $800. it was damaged but i still loved it for the details.

i sent it off for certification for authenticity, it came bcak AU details. i sold it for $2750.

After thinking about it, i SHOULD have kept it!!!! ill NEVER find a 1916-D with that high of details again for the price. i didnt care it was damaged.

Pics are raw and certified.....

145860.jpg.48c1edc87631bbc8ee347c9ea53372ed.jpg

145861.jpg.b6212794f2131f2b785552b52f89fa8f.jpg

145862.jpg.e0d696fa5a3d9cd6d8286ca80f89910f.jpg

145863.jpg.e082ed10bd960bdb97aba4636af64044.jpg

145864.jpg.796042f428f19cd14d4b582fe9b31391.jpg

I found a 1962 Proof Set in the original government cello for near melt on eBay ($24). In it was a gorgeous toned Lincoln Cent ...

1962_ProofSet_IP_O1.jpg

I submitted the Lincoln to PCGS and got the crazy high grade of PR68BN on the first try.

Amazingly, there are only two PR68 Lincoln Cents in the Brown (BN) Color Class that have been graded at PCGS (none higher) in the entire Lincoln Cent series. One dated 1962 (mine) and another one dated 1988-S. Quite a rarity for practically free.

TVBlack_1962Linc_PR68BN.jpg

Some very nice finds!

(thumbs u

Bought this Raw in a Stacks Auction in 08 (Stacks Image):

MISSOURIOBVA-1.jpg

Sent it to PCGS where it graded MS64:

missouri.jpg

Bought this in a PCGS MS63 holder (sellers image):

1893ColumbianCombo.jpg

Sent to NGC:

Consignments106173_Combo_A.jpg

Great stories and great finds everyone. I love the barrel full of nails story!

Leeg: I like the first Missouri commem picture better than the PCGS TruView. The first one shows more detail and has better lighting.

This has been posted so many times before, but what the heck........

I got the 2001-D Kennedy on my sig line from the Mint for 68c in late 2004, and the only other one known sold on eBay raw for $555.

Chris

PS. For some reason, the photos won't post. ???????????

A few years ago I was surfing eBay early in the morning and found this doll. I didn't pay all the much for it. There were two listed on eBay by the same seller and I was only able to grab one. It seemed somebody else couldn't sleep that morning.

1880-SDPLGOOD.jpg

I once picked up a 59 proof set from ebay, the nickel made 68 cameo, the half 67 cameo, both pcgs, probably 8 years ago, I probably paid $35 for the set.

I purchased a 65 Special Mint Set, the cent came back as 65 cameo by pcgs. Probably a $30 purchase.

Another ebay find was a 66 SMS, the half came back 66 Ultra Cameo, NGC of course.

At a show, the TNA in Fort Worth, I made two 67 dimes in 67 deep cameo and a 66 dime in 68 ultra cameo. Now that was a great show. I traded the 66 dime to an old time member here, SchatzyJr. He was a great guy and he was gone after one of my short hiatus'. I miss a lot of the old schoolers who are no longer here.

Very nice all!

(thumbs u

In 2006:

1913icgmplobvslab1.jpg1913icgmplrevslab.jpg

Sent to PCGS:

1913mplmediumA.jpg

PR64BN

In 2010:

1897IHCCombo2.jpg

Sellers Image

Sent to NGC:

1897_Proof_IHC_Slab_Combo.jpg

1897pcobvm1B-1.jpg

1897pcobv1B-1.jpg

A few years ago I was surfing eBay early in the morning and found this doll. I didn't pay all the much for it. There were two listed on eBay by the same seller and I was only able to grab one. It seemed somebody else couldn't sleep that morning.

1880-SDPLGOOD.jpg

What a beauty Kenneth. Great Morgan. I wish I was that other person who couldn't sleep.

My best find - and completely unexpected - was Joanne!
Suckup!! I wish I would have thought of that first. I'm just jealous, pay no never mind to me! :)

My best find - and completely unexpected - was Joanne!

lol

Good one Roger.

(thumbs u

Your post reminds me that I had to laugh at #14 in the WLH Short set registry category.

His name is Gilmore and his set's name is 'Charlene'. His set description states--"The love of my life" lol I guess that there ARE others as crazy as me. :grin:

So is Joanne your wife or your coins Roger? I assume that she's the former. ;)

My RAW Cherrypick at Winter Fun.

1941 Mercury Dime DDO FS-101 PCGS MS-65 (Toned)

This is the RAREST Mercury Dime Variety of the entire series with only 6 examples attributed at PCGS!

This example is STAND ALONE TOP POP!

This is the finest example known by 7 points!

This is the ONLY MINT STATE EXAMPLE KNOWN!

None are known in FB

The 1945-D/Horiz D has two in Mint State, a MS65 and a MS-64 FB. The MS-65 example sold in a Teletrade auction for $3,466 but this coin is MUCH MORE RARE!

The 1945-S/Horiz S has only one Mint State Example Known with the MS-60 example and it sold for $2,500 but here again my coin is much more rare and is graded GEM.

My coin is starting at $1....

I have it listed on the BST.

I have been searching for 4.5 years and this is the only one I have ever found.

Others have searched for longer and have never found a Mint State Example!!!

1941_DDO_FS-101_PCGS_MS65.jpg

1941_DDO_FS-101_PCGS_MS65_MOTTO.jpg