• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT Peace $ - How was it AT'd ???

24 posts in this topic

I would love to hear theories on how this coin was AT'd....

15 yrs of enjoying toned coins and I am still amazed at how this is done. This has to require skill AND equipment. All of bashing coin doctors get there is certainly a level of artistry to being able to tone a coin this nicely. And anyone here that says they can do this or this is easy, please post a picture of your work.

FYI, this coin was purchased off Ebay from a jewelry store acct and it didnt look like they had any other toned coins... So it wasnt purchased from the person who did. And I didnt pay a huge premium. I think I got it for $50.

And sorry for the big pics...

25_O1.png

25_R1.png

25_O2.png

25_R2.png

what makes you think it is AT? anyway my guess

It just doesnt look "right." And this is the most colorful 1925 I have ever seen. Actually this is one of the most colorful examples of any year I have ever seen. Ive never seen another one like it. Banded toning on the obverse and reverse is hard to explain. I can understand one side being toned that way but not both.

There is no reasonable explanation I can think of as to how both sides toned this way except if it was done on purpose.

I'm guessing it was heat treated. I really don't know however.

Definitely not heat treated. Ive seen plenty of heat treated coins. This is a little too colorful to be just heat.

I can't see them either. Could you upload them to a photo hosting site and then add the link to album here, for those of us who can't see the images?

They are ---

Here's the direct link --

Photos.....

They're .png images so just copy the image url into your browser to view them.

Its hard to tell with the pictures. Peace dollars don't typically tone very bright so that's probably one reason it'd get an AT designation. If we can get some better pictures it'd be helpful. Is this an AU coin?

They look At to me. Of course, I've mostly only seen target toning on one side of a coin maybe caused by an end of roll or something. With target toning usually starting from the outside to in, the outer colors are usually darker than the inside rings correct? especially when the target has progressed soo much in to the coin.

I've seen similar colors on some AT Morgan dollars. The guy who sells them on eBay states in his listings that his coins are AT and are exposed to an electrical field and doesn't use chemicals or heat.

Look Here!

Yes, Ive seen his work before. I dont think this is one of his coins though. He usually covers his coins with toning - except for the crescents. Those are pretty cool. I havent seen a double sided rim toned coin he's done though.

The interesting thing about the coin I posted is that the even the space between the reeding is toned.

And I cant see anywhere the coin was held by tongs during the toning process.

Is this an AU coin?

No. It would probably grade MS62

Looks to me like a round induction coil was placed over the coin...the progression colors do not look right for a natural type of tone pattern.

Motor oil and baking in the oven can do it. I've never personally done it, but I have bought a few that have had it done. I wouldn't pay a premium for an AT coin and I surely would'nt recommend taking a nice blast white coin and making it AT, but the do look cool.

Naturally toned coins on the other hand I will pay far more than I should. lol

Looks to me like a round induction coil was placed over the coin...the progression colors do not look right for a natural type of tone pattern.

Is that the electrical current that Deerefan is referring to in his post ?

Can you explain further ?

Here's all your coin sizes in one kit.

Induction Coil Kit

From Wiki-wiki: Induction heating is the process of heating an electrically conducting object (usually a metal) by electromagnetic induction, where eddy currents (also called Foucault currents) are generated within the metal and resistance leads to Joule heating of the metal.

Here's all your coin sizes in one kit.

Induction Coil Kit

From Wiki-wiki: Induction heating is the process of heating an electrically conducting object (usually a metal) by electromagnetic induction, where eddy currents (also called Foucault currents) are generated within the metal and resistance leads to Joule heating of the metal.

Is the coil placed above the surface of the coin ?

I was at the Albany show a while back. One of the sharper dealers, an early copper expert, etc., had a 1928 Peace dollar with shimmering toning, blue tinted, etc.. It was definitely MS, so he wanted to sell or work out a trade for my certified material. I asked him if I could show it to another dealer. I showed it to a sharp fellow who questioned why the obverse and reverse toning did not match? Whether it was AT or not is anybody's guess as I have seen many coins I would swear were AT but get into high grade holders. My guess is the graders have stopped trying to fight upset submitters, as a rainbow toned dollar needs the legitimacy of a numerical grade to sell for top dollar. I saw a common date with rainbow toning sell for $1500 plus on ebay recently! And it was not really attractive toning at that, but to each their own.

I told the dealer to let me know when the coin graded and I would be a buyer near GS.