• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

48 posts in this topic

My biggest pet peeve is the inconsistent grading of large cents but the TPGs. I have seen coins net graded or over graded in holders while other coins got the shaft for knit picking problems that were of less offense that the issues noted on the graded pieces. Consistency has been a huge problem with TPG grading of early copper.

All those 2009 so-called errors. Double finger, extra finger, etc....

Don't forget WAM's! I get so tired of seeing this acronym used for circulated coins.

I feel like someone just rear-ended me!

Chris

The fact that the mint keeps changing the wrong side of the current cent. It's the obverse design that needs to be scrapped (and has needed to be since 1909)

:o

i love the Lincoln cent obverse!

Guys that don't know how to handle coins-----they like to finger and thumb them up.

+1

also scratches from 2x2 staples. how hard is it for people to take a coin out CAREFULLY of a cardboard flip?? (tsk)

The collectors who seem to freak out if someone calls them pennies instead of cents.

... and then proceeds to talk about nickels and quarters...... lol

or proceeds to talk about "nickles" and "murcury" dimes

The fact that the mint keeps changing the wrong side of the current cent. It's the obverse design that needs to be scrapped (and has needed to be since 1909)

The man who while President ran roughshod across the American Constitution (setting a precedent followed by nearly every President since) doesn't deserve to be commemorated on any coin.

The man who while President ran roughshod across the American Constitution (setting a precedent followed by nearly every President since) doesn't deserve to be commemorated on any coin.

many will disagree with you.

the fact is (even though no politician can get 100% of the citizens to like him), that Lincoln was, and still is one of the most popular presidents of the united states. some would say "America's favorite president".

but politics aside. while i understand the importance of the people portrayed/commemorated on the obverse of the nation's coinage/currency, i was simply stating that i like the obverse design of the cent. it's the best obverse, in my opinion, of all of today's circulating coins.

This comes down to whether or not you viewed the Union was worth saving or not. You might read the Lincoln book by economist Thomas DeLorenzo. I think that DeLorenzo got a lot it wrong, you and he are entitled to your opinion.

My biggest pet peeve is the inconsistent grading of large cents but the TPGs. I have seen coins net graded or over graded in holders while other coins got the shaft for knit picking problems that were of less offense that the issues noted on the graded pieces. Consistency has been a huge problem with TPG grading of early copper.

In my opinion, many early coppers (1793-1807) should not receive numerical grades due to the amount of corrosion they often exhibit. And those that do grade should grade much lower. Much of this is corrosion is post-mint, environmental damage; far fewer of these rough coppers were struck that way than some would have us believe. Granted, low quality copper is more prone to disease, and that is partly why so many have not survived.

Colonial coppers with actual corrosion (as opposed to planchet defects) do not grade, numerically, as often as do the early US pieces. And interestingly, it is easy to distinguish planchet problems vs post-mint corrosion on these coins, so why is a different standard given to the later pieces?

In my opinion, many early coppers (1793-1807) should not receive numerical grades due to the amount of corrosion they often exhibit.

Okay here are some of the coins that flunked.

1797HalfCentO.jpg1797HalfCentRJPG.jpg

1800HalfCentO.jpg1800HalfCentR.jpg

Ex Garrett sale, Breen book condition census coin.

1802HalfCentO.jpg1802HalfCentR.jpg

This one does have red corrosion, but after I sold it, it was graded in EF-45, not a "sharpness, net grade." I got a body bag. Why did it grade for someone else and not for me?

1797CentO.jpg1797CentR.jpg

This one is chocolate brown. The picture is from an old slide. The coin that is now in my collection is not as nice with more issues, but it graded perhaps because it came from a "name collection." I image that this is probably in a high grade holder now.

1814LargeCentO.jpg1814LargeCentR.jpg

Now perhaps you can understand my "pet peeve."

It explains why I would not close the deal on this 1795 half cent until it had made into a holder. I had too many negative experiences with nice coins that got the shaft because non-existent problems.

1795HalfCentO.jpg1795HalfCentR.jpg

My pet peeves..

As for general: people spelling Chevrolet Camaro wrong, "Camero."

As for general in coin world: people tried to tell me that my certified coins are worthless and wants to buy my coins for lowball price.

As for general: people spelling Chevrolet Camaro wrong, "Camero."

Guilty as charged. ;) I've been called them that for years. I've never owned one, but it is one of the more interesting cars that Chevy makes. When I was of the age to own one of those I had a AMC Javelin. The one with the big fender humps circa 1973 was a sharp looking car.

As for general in coin world: people tried to tell me that my certified coins are worthless and wants to buy my coins for lowball price.

They don't exactly say my coins are worthless, but I have heard my share of low ball numbers.

What are you, a nut? Go to any country where you can't lift a thought critical of the political system up off the ground without being everything but burned at the stake for it and you'll see what that man at bottom was in fact about.

I'll never understand the attraction to red pennies. I like them dark and shiny. I think the details show even better and the coin is in a natural state, just a different natural state.

Add a little blue toning and I get really excited.

I'll never understand the attraction to red pennies. I like them dark and shiny. I think the details show even better and the coin is in a natural state, just a different natural state.

Add a little blue toning and I get really excited.

Red is all there is for Lincolns after 1940 because the toned ones are not worth much, but for many cents I agree that red is an over priced, over rated and risky pleasure. One spot or add some toning, your investment is down the tubes.

The collectors who seem to freak out if someone calls them pennies instead of cents.

or doesn't know that "a lot" is two words.

or doesn't know that "a lot" is two words.

Maybe I'm going off on a tangent, but so often I hear people say something like, "That is a whole nother story." Can someone please explain to me what half of a nother is?

Chris

I hate that you cant melt the pre 1982 ones legally for ~2x profit.

I also hate people that spell REDiculous. Not directly related but the word red ties into red cents.

What makes you think they are worth 2x melt value? Prices quoted are for Grade A which is pure copper. Do you think a smelter is going to pay you the same price when it costs them to refine it?

Chris

What makes you think they are worth 2x melt value? Prices quoted are for Grade A which is pure copper. Do you think a smelter is going to pay you the same price when it costs them to refine it?

Chris

I don't think they are 2x melt value.

Chris

I don't think they are 2x melt value.

My mistake! You said "2x profit". Then how much do you think a pre-82 Lincoln cent is worth in copper value?

Chris