• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK, 2nd and Last Pawn Shop Gold! $5 Indian

16 posts in this topic

I looked harder today at the damage on the $2.50 indian. It was soo small! lol I have to look closer. So out of curiosity, here is the other coin they had. Really bad phone pics again. They have a $400 price tag and they Will Not Negotiate. I did notice a scratch on the reverse and I circled it. It didn't look like a details scratch but who am I to make that decision. lol What ya think??

First off there are 2 pics each. One with Phone flash and one without. The coin has some nice luster to it. I don't really have the money to buy it but was wondering what ya'll thought of it if it were you. The date on the baggie shows it's been there for about 2 months.

20140221_133124_zps2c08f99e.jpg

20140221_133135_zps471f9b3e.jpg

20140221_133159_zps1514c77e.jpg

20140221_133206_zpsfc6bab81.jpg

There is a laundry list of red flags on that one. Color looks way off for gold in first pic. Looks die cast in a couple of the others. Looks corroded and polished as well.

Well I do believe it is polished like ya'll say. As for the color, I really think it's my phone pictures. In-hand it actually looks like the $2.50 indian I posted yesterday. I did look at this outside the baggie with my b&l 7x loupe. Besides the polished look, I really didn't see anything else that looked bad besides the small scratch on the reverse. Don't worry though, at that price I can get a nice AU $2.50 in a slab.

a genuine original coin

but unfortunately skin salts and wear/rubbing make the coin into this after many decades as it was used as a jewelry piece in a bezel worn against the skin and some people more than others have a much more acidic skin ( due to what they eat??) i dont know why but with soft 22k gold (21.67) as this piece is along with the skin salts pieces like this worn for decades against the skin have this exact same appearance

and of course with the population aging and the fastest growing segment of the population 65 and over pieces like this are coming back onto the market when the owner dies as the sentiment is lost and is usually sold for the gold content which has been substancial the last few years and also pieces like this were popular to wear a a pendent back in the 1950's until the 1990's when popularity waned...................

my take and i have seen hundreds like this over the years with the exact same "look"

usually the 5 dollar indian is a nice size and quite beautiful compared to the mundane liberty gold coins and once you start getting into 10 and 20 dollar gold coins they are just too heavy and not "danty" enough for a womans pendant

seems like now i rarely if ever see any women of any age wearing pendents with gold coins in them usually the new carry-all luxury adornment for any age women is a Iphone 5 gold lol

You can get MS slabbed $2.50's with no qualifiers for the price of this coin. I'm too skittish to buy non-graded gold - too much risk for me (personally) to get something that looks nice but turns out to be polished, ex-jewelery, etc. for example.

Good luck with your research.

I can not tell from the pictures if polished or lighting makes it shine with your camera phone.

It might even be authentic, just the photos make the low areas look mushy, which should be fully struck, as they are hidden from wear,

and depending on your budget the 5 dollar for a little more

http://www.apmex.com/product/23207/5-indian-gold-half-eagle-ms-61-ngc

I read their description and they mentioned an "incused" design. I thought this coin had a sunken design, not incused? What are your thoughts?

I buy a lot of bullion from APMEX, but rarely buy a coin like this from them, because they choose the coin. The one in the picture is not the one you'll receive, but anyway, I wanted your opinion on the design.

and depending on your budget the 5 dollar for a little more

http://www.apmex.com/product/23207/5-indian-gold-half-eagle-ms-61-ngc

I read their description and they mentioned an "incused" design. I thought this coin had a sunken design, not incused? What are your thoughts?

I buy a lot of bullion from APMEX, but rarely buy a coin like this from them, because they choose the coin. The one in the picture is not the one you'll receive, but anyway, I wanted your opinion on the design.

Incused equates with sunken - the devices are sunken, rather than in higher relief than the fields.