• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with a new rare CC morgan

37 posts in this topic

This coin is the rarest coin i have purchased. I know there are alot of fake slabs out there. i am IN NO WAY trying to offend person i got this from but i am not used to dealing with such rarities and im always paranoid.

So hopefully someone can ease my paranoia.

1st question, can anyone help me figure out what the dark line in first picture is? It does not feel like it raises through the hologram.

2nd question: I cant figure out which die marriage this is. out of the 6, i didnt match one, or did i overlook it? or did i not research enough?

Thanks for any help!

BTW, This person i traded with was very professional and shipped very fast with great communication! i am not sure if he wants me to give his name...

144962.jpg.2dc138c073d2abc921c22836d4f20750.jpg

144963.jpg.902af508f08f973b96de16298b5ed612.jpg

144964.jpg.b8393fd442b5e5ace2fe10f3105b820e.jpg

144965.jpg.816d8caf7fb375a46fc58e9fc89567f7.jpg

144966.jpg.07564f6eb13a5d78c6408ce205ec7aad.jpg

The dark line in the first picture, if I'm understanding you right appears to be a shadow cast from the hologram onto the label. As for the coin, I'm no expert but the coin looks authentic.

"I was just weirded out by the black wavy line through the hologram... "

Not to worry -- just a strand of underarm hair.... :)

i believe the coin is authentic all the way.

im just trying to firgure out what the black line is on the hologram. its def not a shadow. its a line right in the hologram.

Could it just be a minor flaw in the hologram?

also wanted to see if anyone knew which die pairing it maight be...

thanks

I don't think it's a fake holder. Is it VG or F condition? I bought 1889 CC at G4, it's worth it to own it though.

Its in F12.

I got it for a really GREAT trade!

I believe both parties are happy, but i cant speak for other because his packaged hasnt arrived yet :-)

i believe the coin is authentic all the way.

im just trying to firgure out what the black line is on the hologram. its def not a shadow. its a line right in the hologram.

Could it just be a minor flaw in the hologram?

also wanted to see if anyone knew which die pairing it maight be...

thanks

Why do you apparently care so much about the hologram?

because i saw a line in it and not in any of my other PCGS coins....

was just trying to see if anyone knew what it was...is that ok or did i do something wrong?

Of course you didn't do anything wrong. I just didn't/don't understand your concern about the hologram.

It would be different if the coin, itself, were at all questionable. It's not, however and you seem to care more about the hologram than the coin. Hopefully not, as that would be a shame.

Its not a major concern, it just doesn't look right to me :-)

I don't know what else to say.

I come here for my questions because someone always knows the answer.

Apparently nobody knows what it could be because nobody has tried to answer it,

Instead ppl like "coindude" bust my chops.

Thanks

because i saw a line in it and not in any of my other PCGS coins....

was just trying to see if anyone knew what it was...is that ok or did i do something wrong?

Of course you didn't do anything wrong. I just didn't/don't understand your concern about the hologram.

It would be different if the coin, itself, were at all questionable. It's not, however and you seem to care more about the hologram than the coin. Hopefully not, as that would be a shame.

I don't care more about the hologram then the coin. You are analyzing this way to much. It was just a petty question to spark some feedback.......geeez

I have gotten some feedback so no need to break anything else down and analyze

Thanks

Its not a major concern, it just doesn't look right to me :-)

I don't know what else to say.

I come here for my questions because someone always knows the answer.

Apparently nobody knows what it could be because nobody has tried to answer it,

Instead ppl like "coindude" bust my chops.

Thanks

If I were going to bust your chops, you'd know it. I was joking around, I completely missed the line in the hologram to begin with. I thought you were talking about the shadow. Anyhow, all the best to you and a nice pickup on a CC Morgan.

Looks like a defect in the hologram's process. Holograms which are made with lasers (by aliens) have a layering process of the film. Probably a strand of cloth of some sort fell on it as the final film layer was placed.

And don't worry, Mark Feld yells at all of us.

because i saw a line in it and not in any of my other PCGS coins....was just trying to see if anyone knew what it was...is that ok or did i do something wrong?
Of course you didn't do anything wrong. I just didn't/don't understand your concern about the hologram. It would be different if the coin, itself, were at all questionable. It's not, however and you seem to care more about the hologram than the coin. Hopefully not, as that would be a shame.

Agree with Mark.....I know when we buy we want everything to be perfect and when we see something we missed, we get Buyers Remorse.

Trust me....in a few days/weeks you'll be LAUGHING if the worst thing was some wavy line on the hologram and nothing at all with what looks like a very nice Silver Morgan Dollar purchase.

FWIW, I'm hesitating on a coin right now because it's slanted in the holder...if I re-submit it, I understand it'll be in a newer slab (which I don't want) even if the grade is the same (plus I have to pay for this). I think I'm gonna suck it up and buy it.

I can understand why he might have gotten scared....you read now not only about fake coins but also face PCGS/NGC holders...or passing off older/used ones with fake coins inside, it gets scary.

Read a story elsewhere where a guy in CT bought 4 fake Morgan Silver Dollars in the GSA style and he helped nabbed the guy who had a whole production going.

Local police, FBI, Secret Service -- all helped nab the dirtbag. (thumbs u

goldfinger, that story first was on coin community were that person posts a lot and I'm very happy they nabbed the person

Yes, sounds familiar....

You know...with SO MANY things to look at now on a coin -- for both fraud/counterfeit and general appearance -- plus dimensions, size, and other elemental diagnostics....I am wondering with all the computerization and scanning technology now as opposed to 10-20 years ago that all coins being graded don't go through something that can verify their chemical composition, size, weight, and scan for the dozens or hundreds of things that might indicate a problem coin.

Then you could have the actual graders do the final review.

I think PCGS is coming out with some enhanced security features but nothing at all like a scanner to evaluate coins and/or catch counterfeits.

I think something like that could really clean up the industry.