• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Newps!

20 posts in this topic

I won these 3 coins a couple of Sundays ago in the internet coin auction. I will be sending in the 1902 Barber Dime to NGC so I can add it to my registry set. Comments and opinions are welcomed!

1902 Barber Dime- ANACS AU58

1902BarberFullCoin_zps85c94f15.png

1902BarberFullCoin2_zpsf120b739.png

1941 Mercury Dime- PCGS MS66FB (coin is in an older style holder)

1941MercuryFullCoin_zpsc7de2205.png

1945-S Jefferson "War" Nickel- NGC MS67

1945-SJeffersonFullCoin_zpsc32b130d.png

I won these 3 coins a couple of Sundays ago in the internet coin auction. I will be sending in the 1902 Barber Dime to NGC so I can add it to my registry set. Comments and opinions are welcomed!

1902 Barber Dime- ANACS AU58

1902BarberFullCoin_zps85c94f15.png

1902BarberFullCoin2_zpsf120b739.png

1941 Mercury Dime- PCGS MS66FB (coin is in an older style holder)

1941MercuryFullCoin_zpsc7de2205.png

1945-S Jefferson "War" Nickel- NGC MS67

1945-SJeffersonFullCoin_zpsc32b130d.png

Great pick ups. Looks like you're collecting various series. My favorite is the '41 Merc. Love the die polish lines in the right Obverse field.

BTW your pics are very good.

Carl

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I am very pleased with these coins!

I purchased the Barber Dime because I really like the eye appeal of the coin. The toning is somewhat subtle, but when directed into the light at the correct angle, it does have some "Pop" to it. Although somewhat muted by the toning, the coin appears to have a good amount of Mint luster remaining. If there is a rub or something else holding this coin to the AU58 grade, I'll be darned if I can see it! I will submitting it to NGC for grading in my next submission. While I am hoping for an upgrade to a Mint State grade, I'll still be happy with the coin if it comes back as an Almost Uncirculated piece.

I was thinking that since the Mercury Dime was in an older PCGS holder, it may have had some potential as an upgrade. But after further examination of the coin, there are a few tiny marks that would most likely keep it from upgrading. There is great luster but it is somewhat muted by the hazy toning. I'm not too familiar with the strike characteristics of each Branch issue, but the strike for this coin appears to be quite exceptional.

Needing a "Silver" Jefferson Nickel for my US Type Set, I decided to bid on this coin as it seemed to have a bit more eye appeal(to me at least) than some of the other coins that I viewed in previous auctions. After looking at the coin a little closer, there is a neat little die crack running through Jefferson's hair(even though you can't see it in the photo). Well, after looking this coin over a little more to add to my description here, it looks as if I may have found something a little more interesting. I'm thinking this coin may be a 1945-S/S RPM-004. It has the die markers that are listed in CONECA. Maybe some of our Jefferson Nickel experts here can help out?

Die Crack running Southeast through upper hair:

1945-SJeffersonDieCrackObv_zps195f807e.jpg

Die crack from top of dome Southeast to dome window:

1945-SJeffersonDieCrackRev_zpsd69dc501.jpg

S/S East:

1945-SJeffersonSMM_zps55b6fc8c.jpg

Great pick ups. Looks like you're collecting various series. My favorite is the '41 Merc. Love the die polish lines in the right Obverse field.

BTW your pics are very good.

Carl

Thanks Carl! I sure do appreciate the compliment! When you look at the coin under some magnification and at the right angle, you can see that there are many more die polish lines hiding under the toning!

I'm thinking this coin may be a 1945-S/S RPM-004. It has the die markers that are listed in CONECA. Maybe some of our Jefferson Nickel experts here can help out?

Nice pickups Justin!

I don't know if this will help you but you can download this:

Free download:

The Jefferson Nickel RPM Book

(PDF format, 22 megabytes)

Begin your download by clicking here..

JN%20RPM%20Cover2.jpg

Variety Vista

I'm thinking this coin may be a 1945-S/S RPM-004. It has the die markers that are listed in CONECA. Maybe some of our Jefferson Nickel experts here can help out?

Nice pickups Justin!

I don't know if this will help you but you can download this:

Free download:

The Jefferson Nickel RPM Book

(PDF format, 22 megabytes)

Begin your download by clicking here..

JN%20RPM%20Cover2.jpg

Variety Vista

Thanks for the link Bill! I've visited the Variety Vista site many times but I was not aware there was a PDF download for the RPMs for the Jefferson Series. I will have to download that book tomorrow for sure! Thanks again!

Well, I got the grade back on the 1902 Barber Dime. NGC body bagged it as "Artificially Toned". I would be a little more disappointed but my Proof coins submission went extremely well! Out of 15 14 Proof coins, I got 4 Cameos, 1 *Cameo, 1 Ultra Cameo(1959 Roosevelt PF66 UCAM) and 2 more Star designations. Most grades were PF66/67. I may resubmit the Barber Dime but I'll have to think about it for a while.

Nice coins. One caveat, if you send NGC the ANACS coin you may well get a downgrade or purple holder coin, whereas PCGS will not crack the coin if it will not get a clean grade at PCGS.

I cracked the coin out of the ANACS holder and sent it in raw. I was willing to take the chance on a downgrade but I have done quite well with the old ANACS holders crossing to higher grades at NGC. I just didn't understand the reasoning for them calling it Artificial Toning.