• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loupe Recommendations?

23 posts in this topic

I was just curious if anyone had any recommendations on loupes to examine coins. I've been using a Gemoro 18mm 10x for regular examination and a Gemoro 21mm 20X for closer examinations for things like RPMs. But I just sent my 21mm 20X through the washer and dryer, and will be needing a new one for closer examination. Any recommendations? Any thoughts on the loupes with LEDs?

I just bought a 60X loupe with an LED from eBay. (seen below) But it's coming from China, and will probably take a month of Sunday's to get to me. I don't know how it's going to work out. It might be a little too much magnification. But I only paid $2.06 for it with free shipping. And even if it's a POS, no big deal. Thanks.

2nrzkaf.jpg

Everyone has different eyesight, different perception of what they are viewing, different color interpretation, etc.

What your comfort level is, it is.

60X, while certainly eye opening, is quite a bit and will most likely cause distortion of the object you are viewing.

Agreed, $2.06 is cheap enough, but seems more appropriate in a surgical setting. I can see how it would be fun to look at objects with that power, though, and I use a 60X a lot when I am interested in knowing certain factors about what I am viewing that I can't process at 10-20X.

Normal quick review of a coin, I use 5X. I carry a 9X if I see a doubt flag with the 5X. But that is just because my particular viewing ability at those powers are better for me than a 10X or 20X.

I normally recommend about 5x for grading, and 10x for varieties. Much more than that, and you start seeing every single itty bitty minor variation - if it can't be clearly seen with a 10x, its probably not worth it. More important is that you get a *good* 10x, a good triplet is what I recommend.

60x is just excessive.

I normally recommend about 5x for grading, and 10x for varieties. Much more than that, and you start seeing every single itty bitty minor variation - if it can't be clearly seen with a 10x, its probably not worth it. More important is that you get a *good* 10x, a good triplet is what I recommend.

60x is just excessive.

yeah, what he said.

I use a B&L 7x. It does all I need it for. That china 60x you bought are basically just a small magnifying glass. They're ok to play with but the optics are very cheap and will probably distort around the edges. You will see the difference in the types of glass when you start investing a little more dollars for a loupe.

My strong magnification glass of choice is the Bausch & Lomb 10X Hastings Triplet. I only use something stronger, 20X, for counterfeit detection, which I do not use that often since I'm no huge branch mint coin buyer. The Charlotte and Dahlonega coins I collect are usually so much different in appearance from their Philadelphia mint counterparts that I don't need to spend that much time staring at the mint marks. For general observations I carry a Bausch & Lomb loupe packette that is either 3X or more recently 5X. I am near sighted so I see a lot more with my naked eyes than most people do.

I do have microscope, but that is strictly for use at home.

Zeiss 3x6x9

and sometimes as a secondary piece bausch and lomb hastings triplet 20x for closer examination of a coins surfaces edges mintmarks troubling areas that need a closer view in the bourse etc.

For high magnification those "little blue telescopes" can't be beat. They are about 10-12x magnification and have a good field of view, good working distance, and low distortion. Best of all they are quite cheap...Ray

I use:

http://www.ottofrei.com/Eschenbach-1186-9-Folding-Magnifier-3X-and-6X-Coated-Achromatic-Lens.html

It's pretty expensive. I think I paid over $100 with shipping, but I believe it will last my lifetime, so it's worth the money.

A little bit more affordable solution:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belomo-triplet-lens-loupe-magnifier-10x-high-quality-Better-than-Bausch-Lomb-/251224220208?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7e216230

Those very cheap high magnification loupes such as 60X from China are apparently not what they claim to be, you can find several of them listed on Amazon.com, and if you then read the reviews, they say the true magnifications are very much lower than claimed, and the optics are atrocious.

Since the TPG grading services use 5X for most purposes, that might be a good choice. My favorite now is a 5X Eschenbach with LED illumination and a very wide field of view allowing you to use it with both eyes rather than squinting with one eye. You might be able to find one for less than a c-note.

I like the

H.E. HARRIS WIDE FIELD 16X FOLDING LOUPE

that I can get on eBay for $10-15 delivered

I realize there are many better, but I frequently misplace or damage my stuff.

It is a little larger than some of the fancy ones, but not too big.

I like the

H.E. HARRIS WIDE FIELD 16X FOLDING LOUPE

that I can get on eBay for $10-15 delivered

I realize there are many better, but I frequently misplace or damage my stuff.

It is a little larger than some of the fancy ones, but not too big.

When I bought my B&L, it came with a lanyard. Really nice for coin shows as you just put it on an never lose it. At the house, it just stays in a drawer. lol

Guest AuroraRarities

Having used many of the readily available offerings I must say that the BelOMO are my favorite by far. I prefer them because of the slightly larger viewing area which I find makes a big difference to me.

Having used many of the readily available offerings I must say that the BelOMO are my favorite by far. I prefer them because of the slightly larger viewing area which I find makes a big difference to me.

+1

doh! Just bought myself a new loupe and never thought about asking here...

Had an old Bausch & Lomb10X Coddington that I bought new about .... lets just say a long, long time ago. lol It was a beast, well made, and even though it had but a single lens it gave really sharp images and served me well, but I had finally worn out the hinge post.

Since my B&L purchase things had changed a bit ... my eyes have gotten a little weaker and there are new options to consider. I decided to search for a new triplet loupe (not readily available so many years ago) that had both a strong LED and a UV light (for fluorescence) to go the distance with me. I finally bought a SE 10X 21mm UV/LED Triplet Loupe - Dual Light (White & UV) 10X-21mm loupe on Amazon. Yes, it's made in China (what isn't) but I feel the quality is excellent and the price was sure right.

Zeiss 3x6x9

This is the kind I have and use most of the time. Great loupe and highly recommended..

Same here, it is apparently what they use in the grading room when needed.

I can't imagine those small squint through things being anything but a recipe for disaster and frustration. You get what you pay for.