• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New purchase 1918 Buffalo opinions wanted

23 posts in this topic

Looks gem but in-hand is needed as in most cases.

Both side's die seemed to have been on their last legs but it's a good strike nonetheless.

jom

Both side's die seemed to have been on their last legs but it's a good strike nonetheless.

jom

I agree as to the state of the dies, I believe what we are seeing is die erosion.

I personally think that the die erosion adds a little character since the strike is still nice.

Although I am not sure a hardcore buff collector would like the erosion

jom

I agree as to the state of the dies, I believe what we are seeing is die erosion.

I personally think that the die erosion adds a little character since the strike is still nice.

Although I am not sure a hardcore buff collector would like the erosion

Yes, I agree..die erosion.

On whether "hard core" collectors would like it. I can't say. When I collected the series I was unusual in that I'd always prefer pretty toning over, say, a nicely struck piece (all else being equal). That's just me as I'm a toning fiend. Most Buff collectors love the strike detail though....

jom

My guess is 64 or quite possibly, lower. That is based on what looks to be light discoloration/disturbances on the Indian's cheek, upper forehead and upper right braid area.

I believe the coin to be a 64

Despite the dies the strike is nice and the luster is there.

Here is a link to a different pic with different lighting. Shows the surfaces better, but not the luster and color.

Also a huge pic link of the original pic

Caution huge pics

http://robecsimages.com/photos/CT/1918Buffobv_04.jpg

http://robecsimages.com/photos/CT/1918BuffobvLg_10.jpg

Looking at the two links:

The first one makes me think the coin is probably a 64.

The second one makes me think the coin could grade anywhere from 58 to 63, to cleaned.

That's a better photo...the coin has been wiped with all of the hairlines. Not sure what to grade it now. <= 63 I'd imagine. It doesn't look like it has wear though...it's easier for me to see the reverse as far as that goes.

jom

I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about this coin.

Its got to be the Die Erosion that makes me feel the coin

will be difficult to grade. If you say its MS - ok - but I would

think its not higher than a 64.

As Keyman64 mentioned - I can't grade Buffalos either,

at least accurately !

I like the coin, but given the state of the dies, I can't see it getting much beyond MS-64. I actually like that kind of toning, but it's not what the high grade buyers like to see.

The second photo was intentionally left the void of some of the color and luster to better show the details of the surfaces I believe what some are seeing as hairlines from being wiped or cleaned are actually die polish which appear to be raised

I agree with bill the die erosion and color will probably limit to a 64

The second photo was intentionally left the void of some of the color and luster to better show the details of the surfaces I believe what some are seeing as hairlines from being wiped or cleaned are actually die polish which appear to be raised

I agree with bill the die erosion and color will probably limit to a 64

I assure you, what appear to be lines on the cheek are not die polish lines.