• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prooflike Shield Nickel - With Rays!

19 posts in this topic

I was watching three coins in the Heritage Auction this week. The one I wanted the most (and which is quickly becoming my white whale) was a PL Bust Half, in 63PL (which you can see here: http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1192&lotNo=3627 ). I thought to myself, "Sure, a 63PL will be expensive, and an R5 will have a bit of a premium," so I bid strong. I put a bid in at $4500.... and got blown so far out of the water its not even funny.

So my backup plan was this shield nickel. I already have the No Rays version (I bought that one earlier this year, a monster 1871 graded 65*PL). The With Rays version was only made in 1866 and 67, before switching to the no-rays. There are 4 prooflike examples listed in the census (3 in 65 and 1 in 66), but after searching the Heritage archives I am fairly well convinced that at least one of the 65's is a resubmission.

Anyways, I am extremely pleased to add this beauty to my collection. I'm waiting to see what it looks like in hand, but it appears to be a perfect complement to my No-Rays shield!

1867raysobv_zpse49d3124.jpg

1867raysrev_zpsf21b56ba.jpg

Nice one! It does seem to have any die striations either which is something I've never liked.

And tell me about getting blown out of the water. My recent bid on a Newman Bust Quarter had a similar outcome to your CBH...even the bids and final price were close.

jom

Jason that's an amazing addition to an already amazing collection. That CBH has incredible mirrors from what I can tell and I think we all know the HA images are lacking to be nice. Keep up the great work Jason.

Most likely attribution is F-04 (S1-3003).

Thanks! I don't really know much about these, so I was hoping you would pop in and tell me.

Very nice coin. Why wasn't the coin (a 65* PL) graded with any attribution? Is that something you have to ask for or pay for as an extra when sent in for third party grading?

The coin finally arrived today. In hand, the spotting is a little worse than I anticipated - so I'm going to see what NCS can do for it. I'm also going to get teh variety attribution, because it is almost certainly the F-04 that you mentioned, skippy. The repunched 1 is pretty extreme, and I really like it! In hand, the flash of the mirrors is strong, and the die polish is noticeable. What really struck me about this coin is the seeming crudeness of the coin - the repunching, Longacre doubling, die polish, and pervasive planchet flaw/laminations all lead to a very charming coin. Even the edges show laminations, visible between the prongs! This is a really cool coin, and definitely a solid addition to my prooflike collection.

IMG_1192copy_zpse65f98e3.jpg

IMG_1205copy_zps1436d4a6.jpg

That's a nice coin. Fortunately, F-04 is on the list of varieties that NGC attributes (as VP-011) so you should be able to get the correct variety attribution on the label.

Outstanding! My absolute favorite series. And of coasre the 66 & 67 with rays just puts it over the top. Sorry about your lost half but IMHO this is much nicer. I'm very jealous.