• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two of my Nicest Bust Halves

31 posts in this topic

Just back from Bob, and he did an excellent job with them. Both are vivid, lustrous, and beautiful. The 1830 has the added advantage of being semi-prooflike (or at least, has traces of being PL at one time). I got these both at FUN last year, and they have sequential serial numbers (almost certainly from the same old-time collection).

1829CBHpXF45obv_05_zpsd8952ba9.jpg

1829CBHpXF45rev_03_zps6a776300.jpg

1830CBHpXF45obv_06_zpsfabcba5f.jpg

1830CBHpXF45rev_09_zps5973c74e.jpg

It looks like the luster is there on both for AU 50 grades, even though the wear may be right for a 45. Both definitely have luster for at least a 45 and the color should bump the market grade up a bit regardless.

Great coins!

The 1829 looks like an O-112A just from sight. Of course that die was reworked and is known to be Prooflike and at least somewhat reflective.

I think the 1829 is an AU50-53 depending on the luster. The wear is actually a light rub over the design.

The 1830 is an XF40 or 45, again, depending on the luster. This piece has a few points of substantial wear on the obverse that go beyond the rub of an AU grade, telling me it should be more of an XF. The weak reverse strike does not affect the grade.

Very pretty halves! Lovely color. Both are keepers, for sure.

My first guess was 45 and 40. But I think PCGS got it right. The reverse of that 1830 die marriage (it's an O.119, BTW) is always flatly struck.

The 1829 is an O.105.

Lance.

The 1829 is an O-105, correct.

I had the 1830 down as an O-101, but now looking at it, it may actually be a 119.... PCGS calls it a Small O on the label. Do they designate Medium O, or did they just get it wrong? It is throwing me off because it is an early die state - there is no lump in the A of States as Overton says there should be.

The 1829 is an O-105, correct.

I had the 1830 down as an O-101, but now looking at it, it may actually be a 119.... PCGS calls it a Small O on the label. Do they designate Medium O, or did they just get it wrong? It is throwing me off because it is an early die state - there is no lump in the A of States as Overton says there should be.

Jason,

I think O-119 may be correct. I do see recutting on the Obverse 0. That would be in an EDS so having A1 not filled or partially filled could be expected. Peterson says to look at the R in LIBERTY. Is there a tine in the tail? If so O-119.

Don't know whether PCGS or NGC designate Medium O, but O-119 is the only die marriage with the Medium O. So I don't see why they wouldn't make that attribution.

Carl

I guess this is what one would call a tine? Looks more like a die chip to me, but it is definitely a raised anomaly on the tail of the R.

Bingo. That's exactly like the pic Peterson shows. Also, Lance posted earlier that O-119 was the correct attribution.

Very nice busties.

Carl

As I said, it is an O.119. Look at the position of the stars and denticles. Look at the O in OF relative to the U in UNUM.

Great coins. Wish they were mine. :)

Lance.

I guess this is what one would call a tine? Looks more like a die chip to me, but it is definitely a raised anomaly on the tail of the R.

Bingo. That's exactly like the pic Peterson shows. Also, Lance posted earlier that O-119 was the correct attribution.

Very nice busties.

Carl

Yeah, a couple of people had mentioned the 119.

Is there any premium associated with the Medium O, since this is the only die with it?