• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Never seen a toned JFK like this...

29 posts in this topic

I bought a Crescent Toned 67 Kennedy from him once for $55.00 'Buy it Now' with about 10 or 12 people watching it. I just swooped in and bought it.

After nearly two weeks I never received it. He claimed that it must have been lost in shipping. Finally after a month I just asked for a refund and received it. He said he contacted 'Authorities' and I might be asked about it later. I have yet to hear anything from anyone.

Did it get lost in transit or did one of those 10 or 12 people watching it offer him more after the sell and he decided to let them have it???

Never know.

I noticed that after that transaction, the prices of his toned Kennedy's went sky high. Coincidence? (shrug)

When did hideously ugly toned coins start deserving huge premiums?

I think that all depends on who owns it. If certain people on this board owned, and presented it in a thread, they would get a (worship) from some of the kiss a s s e s but if others own it then it will definitely be hideous.

I think that all depends on who owns it. If certain people on this board owned, and presented it in a thread, they would get a (worship) from some of the kiss a s s e s but if others own it then it will definitely be hideous.

Exactly...

My experience on this forum tells me otherwise. While there might be a few members who would not criticize a coin like that in order to be polite, I don't know of any kiss a s s e s on this forum. Perhaps if you are going to insult people, you should do it to their face and list their names.

I too beg to differ. Looking at that coin I find it hard to believe the toning is pure and legit. PCGS makes mistakes just like everyone else. The white dots indicate to me a coin that was most likely mildly dipped at some point.

The toning is not particularly attractive in the photo provided and I love me some great toning.

Is it attractive...maybe. Is it $3,600 attractive? Never will any 1967 coin be that attractive IMO.

I would say that this coin has seen some extreme conditions, whether or not they were natural only the guy who subjected them to those conditions can know :devil:

What this reaffirms to me is that if you have wildly tones modern coins, PCGS is your friend.

What this reaffirms to me is that if you have wildly tones modern coins, PCGS is your friend.

Kinda reminds me of some of the toned ASEs Ive seen in PCGS plastic.

Kinda reminds me of some of the toned ASEs Ive seen in PCGS plastic.

To be fair, those toned ASE's probably do exist in NGC holders as well.

NGC just doesn't have TrueView equivalent photos. In order to get the full scope of color, the coin would need to be photographed before being slabbed.

My experience on this forum tells me otherwise. While there might be a few members who would not criticize a coin like that in order to be polite, I don't know of any kiss a s s e s on this forum. Perhaps if you are going to insult people, you should do it to their face and list their names.

I'm with Paul, and I think your comment is way out of line.

Chris

I don't think that wdrob's comment is that far off the mark. There are a lot of coins on eBay (even some from members here) that are "creatively" described as "rainbow" toners. While I would never touch the Kennedy for $3600 (or really any amount), that doesn't mean that someone doesn't love it. Though, I would probably describe it as "garish" not "hideous".

I consider Paul (Lehigh96) to have a wonderful eye for attractive toning, but even a couple coins in his current inventory are not eye appealing in my opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I don't think that wdrob's comment is that far off the mark. There are a lot of coins on eBay (even some from members here) that are "creatively" described as "rainbow" toners. While I would never touch the Kennedy for $3600 (or really any amount), that doesn't mean that someone doesn't love it. Though, I would probably describe it as "garish" not "hideous".

I consider Paul (Lehigh96) to have a wonderful eye for attractive toning, but even a couple coins in his current inventory are not eye appealing in my opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Brandon,

There is a big difference between the liberal use of the words "rainbow toning" to attract potential buyers and calling people names. And I really don't care if Wdrob calls people names, I just think he should tell us who he thinks the brown nosers are on this forum.

Paul

I think the coin is "OK" but obviously the price is way out there. I do like the reverse a lot but not at $3600.

I should point out my view that the seller has the right to sell at whatever price they want. That doesn't mean he'll sell it though...

jom

For what its worth I consigned a very similar toned Kennedy to Shane in same grade and TPG couple years ago and we were both pleased to see within one hour it was bid up to $1000

I think an in hand evaluation is really necessary for this coin. Those pictures aren't great. With blazing luster, the coin may be killer in hand - although the colors are highly unusual on a Kennedy (and thus make me suspect its originality). Again, that's something an in-hand look would tell.

The premium, however, is utterly ridiculous - and I don't care who owned/owns it. Gorgeously toned silver Kennedys usually trade in the $300 range. Maybe his finger slipped and he put an extra 0 on there?

I too beg to differ. Looking at that coin I find it hard to believe the toning is pure and legit. PCGS makes mistakes just like everyone else. The white dots indicate to me a coin that was most likely mildly dipped at some point.

The toning is not particularly attractive in the photo provided and I love me some great toning.

I do not think the white spots are the result of dipping. More likely, they are areas of the coin where grease was struck into the surface and milk spots developed. Milk spotting typically does not tone uniformly with the metal around it.

I think everyone has been too quick to judge the coin. The images are mediocre at best, and probably juiced. The colors are probably much more subtle in hand, and with the right combination of luster, the coin could appear very attractive. I'm not sure how anyone can reasonably assess whether the coin is AT or NT based on those images, but I see no indicators that the coin is blatantly AT.

With regards to the price, I agree it is unrealistic and far too high (by several multiples). Nevertheless, it only takes one person to click a couple of buttons on a webpage, and the seller is likely testing his luck. In my opinion, I have seen a few toners sell for what I felt were ridiculous prices on eBay in the last couple of months, so I can't blame the seller for taking a stab at it although he is unlikely to succeed.

To be fair, those toned ASE's probably do exist in NGC holders as well.

NGC just doesn't have TrueView equivalent photos. In order to get the full scope of color, the coin would need to be photographed before being slabbed.

NGC to my knowledge has stopped grading ASE toners. I havent seen any recently graded ones up for sale. If someone has one I would love to see it.

I rarely even see any previous slabbed examples as well. Toned proofs are even more rare in NGC plastic.

Take any bright silver coin to the coal regions of West Virginia for 6 weeks and they will be toned/tarnished.

Worth melt on 40% silver to me....

You're ignoring the melt value of the slab. There's a demand for plastic, you know. A lot of collectors make that mistake, you're not the only one.