• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sad News posted by CBC

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Albemarle, NC

"A Concord real estate company owner said Tuesday he wants to start a reward fund to help find the person who killed an 81-year-old Albemarle coin dealer during a robbery last week.

Police say Eldridge Roger Gibson was shot during a robbery around 5 p.m. Thursday at B&G Coins, the West Main Street shop that he operated for decades. Gibson died of his wounds late Thursday night.

Albemarle police say the man suspected in the robbery and killing drove off in Gibson's 2010 pick-up truck. That vehicle was discovered Saturday at City Lake Park in northwest Albemarle.

Lancaster said Gibson, whose wife died several years ago, continued to operate his shop on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. He said Gibson told him he'd run the shop for 30 or 40 years."

More details are available on the Charlotte Observer website.

I didn't know Mr. Gibson. Whoever did this is the lowest form of life on the planet.

See more journals by CBC

What horrible news. I hope they catch the perpetrator soon and he gets fully punished. Good people are trying to earn an honest living while these dirtbags are preying on them. Very sad. Prayers to his family.

What horrible news. I hope the catch the perpetrator soon and he gets fully punished. Good people are trying to earn an honest living while these dirtbags are preying on them. Very sad. Prayers to his family.
+1

It's the lowest form of life that preys upon the elderly. I hate hearing tragedies like this. They will get caught trying to move the stolen goods. Have all the dealers look out for the inventory that was stolen. Does anybody have a list to post? Let's get the word out there.

Having a Gold Bullion store and listed in the state for the sales of gold is very risky. My friend Justin has a Silver and Gold store and has been challenged a few times. With all the guns and cameras he has there, one of these days he may get caught off guard. I worked there for a few months and it is a life risking business. They will get the guy as he was surely photographed in the cameras. It's a shame the way we are at risk every day due to the way we humanly handle criminals compared to the early days.

Rick

Update:

"Albemarle police say they have made an arrest in the Halloween robbery and slaying of an 81-year-old coin shop owner.

Police say Ryan Anthony Efird was taken into custody earlier Wednesday without incident. Efird, 45, of Albemarle, is being held without bond in the Stanly County Detention Center.

He has been charged in connection with the death of Eldridge Roger Gibson.

Gibson, longtime owner of B&G Coins on West Main Street, died late Oct. 31, a few hours after being shot inside his store. Police obtained surveillance video of a man who they said was inside the store for about 20 minutes.

Video showed the man leaving B&G Coins with two bags, then getting into the victim’s white pickup truck. That truck was found abandoned a few days later in an Albemarle park.

State prison records show a Ryan Anthony Efird of Albemarle has a lengthy record of arrests on various larceny and breaking-and-entering charges. He served an eight-month prison term in 2011 for felony breaking-and-entering, according to state records."

I hope they got the right man, and that he never again sees the outside of a cell.