• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need of some advice.

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I've well dug myself into a hole.. I've spent quite a bit of money purchasing US silver coinage. Fact of the matter is, I'm in need of money to pay for school and I resorting to selling off a good amount of these coins. But problem is, I'm completely clueless as to how to sell these coins. I've purchased many based off of their weight in silver, and I'm hoping I can sell them for a fair rate. I'd prefer not to go into a hock shop and just unload for minimal cash. selling for $10 an ounce is out of the question here. These coins hold some value and I'm wondering if any of you have some advice. I've considered Ebay? Or maybe coin shops. But most coin dealers are looking to turn a profit as well. I'm wondering if there is a way to evaluate these coins and get a good fair price for them.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you all for reading. I look forward to speaking with some of you and hope that some of you will give me some good sound advice that will help me through this, despite not knowing each other very well. Thanks again.

-Gar

How did you "evaluate" them when you bought them - just by their "weight in silver", or by other means too? If only by their silver content, why would you expect to be able to sell them for more than that?

In other words, are most of them bullion coins? If so, you need to be realistic about what they are worth. If they are bullion coins, they are worth more than the $10/oz figure you mentioned.

You haven't provided enough information for people to be able to be of much help.

how/where did you buy them?

most large cities have weekly/monthly coin shows and usually a buyer/seller is paying well for generic seller - cash in hand now

frequently if enough dealers in an area, someone will be offering a competitive price - call around

If they're only worth cull (melt) value then I'd sell them to a local coin shop. Search around for the best price.

If any have add'l numismatic value----I'd take them to a show and try to sell them for the best price there (dealer or otherwise).

If you would be willing to send them to someone to evaluate them I would guarantee that there would be many here, including myself that would give you at least spot for them unless they're a bunch of dimes. I don't know why but dimes routinely go for less then spot, if they are "junk silver".