• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a coin from your birthyear.

37 posts in this topic

If I did that, people would know approximately how old I was. lol, we can't have that. ;)

What's the 64 for in your user ID----Could that be your birth year?? ;)

Nope. Keyman as a user name was not available so I counted up the number of key/semi-keys I had locked way at the time. ;)

looks like i am youngest so far, MCMLXXXVI :) also this is not my pic, got it from pcgs

Looks like I got you by a couple of years :P (if I got the roman numeral correct :) )

6B40D448-0541-4337-8417-4546792A760D-4429-0000058E00FD271F_zps63a54460.jpg

Birth year....OK, this is close but not quite the exact year:

Alexander2.jpg

lol, aside from the joke that is in very nice condition, i have never seen a roman coin (i assume) with such a nice strike like that

Birth year....OK, this is close but not quite the exact year:

Alexander2.jpg

lol, aside from the joke that is in very nice condition, i have never seen a roman coin (i assume) with such a nice strike like that

Not Roman - that is Macedonian. It is a bust of Alexander the Great, and probably dates to 300-280 BC (without looking up exactly which variety it is). That one is in very good condition with a fine style, but the relief on these is impressive. That is either a drachm or tetradrachm, and these are surprisingly weighty coins. They are quite affordable in circulated condition (~$300 for an F+ example).

Here is the 1949-D half dollar from my birth year set. I posted the 1949-S ATS. At one time the 1949-D #1 among the 1949 Franklin Haves. Now it only holds that honor in MS-65 or better. During my years as a collector each of the P, D and S 1949 dollars has held the #1 position at one time or another. All of them have sold for high prices at one time or another. Now if you had bought them years ago, you would be losing a good part of your investment.

It is no wonder that I have little faith in the high prices for modern coins.

1949-DhalfdollarO.jpg1949-DhalfdollarR.jpg

Tetradrachm, 28mm, 16.9 grams. Pamphylia region of Asia, Aspendos mint year Δ =year 4 (209-208 BCE). Price #2882. FDC.

This was kept for me by my maternal grandfather, Nikokles, magistrate of the city appointed by Ptolemy IV ‘Philopator.’

:)