• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

!!!(ROUND 2)!!! It graded My first pics by Robec Update last post Real Bummer

35 posts in this topic

You can find the new results in my last thread.

Just when you think you got a great shot of a coin you get a pic from one of the pros and realize you are way out of their league.

I have posted this coin a few times before but wanted to post Bob's pics.

Bob has done a great job with the pics and is kindly helping me submit this coin for grading.

If you would like please guess what the grade will based on these new stellar photos.

Thanks to Bob

1917LincMSobv_01_zps70c3947f.jpg

1917LincMSobv_04_zpsa4e20dec.jpg

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz271/jimstar2009/Robec/th_1917LincMSobv_11_zps8f9c3530.jpg[/img][/url]

1917LincMSobv_13_zpsd870ffd2.jpg

1917LincMSobv_12_zps63b55e63.jpg

1917LincMSobv_06_zps5e5bb9f6.jpg

1917LincMSrev_01_zpsb92fd6c5.jpg

1917LincMSrev_09_zps6ba527fe.jpg

1917LincMSrev_10_zpsfba90dda.jpg

1917LincMSrev_12_zps8ea35fce.jpg

That obverse looks almost like a MPL. Stellar photos. MS67BN looks like a couple of rim nicks on the obverse side and a few minor blemishes on the reverse.

Amazing pics! I need to send a few his way!

I'd love to see some of your toned Peace bucks through his lens. You get a lot of work done by Shane, right? He is definitely good, and I like the way Shane brings out colors, but I always love seeing a different perspective.

Amazing pics! I need to send a few his way!

I'd love to see some of your toned Peace bucks through his lens. You get a lot of work done by Shane, right? He is definitely good, and I like the way Shane brings out colors, but I always love seeing a different perspective.

Yes, Shane has done most, Mark Goodman here and there, and I've had Todd do a few recently, but these pics by Bob.... amazing.

Bob is an amazing photographer, no doubt about it.

He's able to really get all angles of this one, since it's raw. Coins behind plastic are much more difficult to pick up color like that.

Nice work Bob! (thumbs u

Robec RULES!!! Stunning photographic work!

I wonder if DCarr could stamp on some wide flat rims with his coin press ... then we could slip this in as an ellusive 1917 MPL. (HA)

This coin is gorgeous and deserves an MS67BN grade (IMHO).

First I want to thank Bob for his help and great pics.

Bob helped me submit my 1st coin to PCGS. I was thinking about sending this coin to NGC for quite a while hoping for a STAR designation and surely a 66 grade.

However I decided to give PCGS a shot. I was excited to make my 1st submission to PCGS. I have always felt that toned copper is very touchy ats, but I really felt that with the incredible strike and amazing in hand luster that this coin would make the grade.

I was wrong. code .91

Funny thing is that I just received a coin a few days ago in a PCGS 65BN holder that has eerily similar obverse surfaces. Strike and luster. Well except there is a lot more blue.

I want to rant, but it is what it is.

Jim

.91 (questionable color) is the "no-grade" most likely to be overturned on a second submission. It's easy to start to see a favorite coin as a worthless one when this happens. Take a deep breath and maybe try again. It is a fantastic coin.

most likely to be overturned on a second submission.

Exactly. I've had this happen ATS on more than one occasion with Lincoln Cents. Several years ago though.

It is a fantastic coin.

(thumbs u

.91 (questionable color) is the "no-grade" most likely to be overturned on a second submission. It's easy to start to see a favorite coin as a worthless one when this happens. Take a deep breath and maybe try again. It is a fantastic coin.

No worries. This is currently one of my favorite coins in my collection and it will take a whale to push it down the list.

I understand that what I collect and with toning to boot is difficult and sometimes not accepted. I have a few coins that I know will not grade but they are very attractive. Not all of those are copper either.

Honestly I thought it may be fun to take a shot at a top pop (66BN). Given the value of the coin I may take one more shot. Probably NGC. Then if it no grades it goes back to the album.

Jim

No worries. This is currently one of my favorite coins in my collection and it will take a whale to push it down the list.

I understand that what I collect and with toning to boot is difficult and sometimes not accepted. I have a few coins that I know will not grade but they are very attractive. Not all of those are copper either.

Honestly I thought it may be fun to take a shot at a top pop (66BN). Given the value of the coin I may take one more shot. Probably NGC. Then if it no grades it goes back to the album.

Jim

Send it to NGC. I think they will be able to see it for what it is and put it in a holder like it should be. PCGS...sigh... :facepalm:

Try again. Too often we give up, later sell, only to find the coin on display in a dealer's case, graded without problem.

I don't do it a lot but I persisted with one coin. It graded on the 8th attempt. A huge win.

That's a lovely Lincoln, and great images from Robec (as expected). I can't see a problem with it and I'd try it at least a few more times.

IMO NGC is just as tough as PCGS when it comes to colorful copper. Jump to NGC if you want that holder. But don't believe that PCGS or NGC will always say the same thing, or that the graders will remember it and give you the same answer. PCGS grades almost 10,000 coins a day.

Lance.

I've been told that PCGS is harsher on toned copper. They question color when it doesn't have certain characteristics they look for. I've not had this problem at all with NGC on the few toners I've sent in.

Great coin and pictures.

I've been told that PCGS is harsher on toned copper. They question color when it doesn't have certain characteristics they look for. I've not had this problem at all with NGC on the few toners I've sent in.

Great coin and pictures.

PCGS is harsher on toned copper -- but they slab all kinds of garish and cartoonish looking ASEs. That makes a lot of logical sense. :frustrated: