• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Birthday Brandon (brg5658)!!!

21 posts in this topic

HI everyone, thanks for the kind wishes. :):blush:

Every year around my birthday, I try to pick up something that is special for my collection. This was my third year having that philosophy, and the piece already arrived last week. See the three special pieces below that mark that time of year where I feel a bit older. ;)

Thanks again all,

-Brandon

==============================

1863_Aschermann_Tobacco_NGC_MS65RB_composite_zps33612a09.jpg

1793_Peru_8Reales_PCGS_AU58_composite.jpg

1790_Ibberson_NGC_PF65BN_HalfPenny_compositejpg_zpsa08cc8e2.jpg

All of them are gorgeous and clearly very special. Does the 2011 coin have an proof like tendencies in hand?

Yes, it certainly does. Those images were taken by Todd Pollock (via the previous owner Catbert) before it was put behind plastic. Thus, they are better than I can get of the coin. It's referred to as a "bronzed proof" from the literature I have with it, but almost all of the DH342 pieces were struck this way (I have three examples, and they all have clear die markers that they came from only one set of dies). The other two pieces I have were designated as MS by NGC, not PF -- so, I'm not convinced it's truly a proof in the sense that it was double (or more) struck by the dies at extremely high pressure. (shrug)

Regardless, that coin is one of my favorites and has been the basis of my Avatar on all coin sites I frequent.

All of them are gorgeous and clearly very special. Does the 2011 coin have an proof like tendencies in hand?

Yes, it certainly does. Those images were taken by Todd Pollock (via the previous owner Catbert) before it was put behind plastic. Thus, they are better than I can get of the coin. It's referred to as a "bronzed proof" from the literature I have with it, but almost all of the DH342 pieces were struck this way (I have three examples, and they all have clear die markers that they came from only one set of dies). The other two pieces I have were designated as MS by NGC, not PF -- so, I'm not convinced it's truly a proof in the sense that it was double (or more) struck by the dies at extremely high pressure. (shrug)

Regardless, that coin is one of my favorites and has been the basis of my Avatar on all coin sites I frequent.

For some reason I saw "PF," but my mind registered "MS." I'm sorry for my naive question. It looks great. I would have no problem accepting it as a proof or specimen striking.

Happy Birthday Brandon! I like that philosophy. I also subscribe to that theory, but this will be the first year I buy myself a nice coin! I have until early fall to decide.

Those coins are beautiful, but your 2011 purchase really jumped out at me! Nicely done.