• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

On the heels of the recently sold 1995-W Silver Eagle we have..

26 posts in this topic

.....this one:

Lincoln Cent

OK, I must be missing something here (again). What's the big deal about a 2010-D Cent in MS67? I don't get it.... meh

jom

$4994

I don't get this either. I don't collect cents, but this one makes none.

There looks to be some kind of mark on the reverse at 4:30. Hope someone will explain this to us.

From the description: "March 2013 PCGS Population Report states that 717 examples of the 2010-D have been certified, but remarkably, only the present piece attains the MS67 Red level. That makes it the single finest certified at PCGS, and thus a prize for the Registry Set enthusiast."

So called rarity and price will decline as more 2010-D's are certified from the mintage out of Denver of 2,047,200,000 cents.

I suspect the buyer will be long gone by the time this is truly worth an amount approaching what was paid . . . say the year 2213.

top population (1/0)

and if you think you can find one just as good, good luck

you could look through thousands, and spend hundreds of hours, and still probably not get one

but congrats if you do+

clearly there are some people in this industry with much more willingness and dollars to spend on items for their collection/investment, than us meager collectors who would really scratch our heads about popping $50 for it.

From the description: "March 2013 PCGS Population Report states that 717 examples of the 2010-D have been certified, but remarkably, only the present piece attains the MS67 Red level. That makes it the single finest certified at PCGS, and thus a prize for the Registry Set enthusiast."

So called rarity and price will decline as more 2010-D's are certified from the mintage out of Denver of 2,047,200,000 cents.

I suspect the buyer will be long gone by the time this is truly worth an amount approaching what was paid . . . say the year 2213.

Totally agree.....gotta be some more in the offing. It's KINDA like the '09 MEL NA dollars. The pops were WAAAAY low, well under 100 TOTAL. Got lucky, made and sold a few in MS65 for very decent $ ($350's), and just this year, the pops have increased dramatically. Needless to say, the $350 MS65 days are LOOOONG gone.....just as will happen to this coin.

And, just as an aside, that spot at 4:30, as jpcienkus mentioned, is a grade breaker to me. I'd like to see what it would grade submitted raw tomorrow.

So, when it's all said and done, 5 grand for that coin is absolutely nuts and the buyer is certifiable, registry points be damned. But that's just my opinion.

The coin is literally one federal reserve brick away from being a 10c coin. The coin is recent and I expect that the population will explode in the coming years and the price will drop significantly.

Good find. I'm not sure I'd even spend that much on the coin.

I wonder if the buyer from the OP's link is investing in Pepto Bismal.

Crazy money. IMHO. Again, I could think of a lot of better coins to use that on and I agree that quite a few will be 'made' in the days to come.

The price is absurd, but to the defenders of this insanity, comparisons to coins from other series are apparently not relevant, even though collectors and "investors" make this type of decision all the time.

That's not fair. We all know PCGS graded coins are worth 20X! C'mon...get with the program!

I still haven't a clue why this one went for $5K. There were 14 bidders on this and at least 2 that drove the price. Amazing....

jom

Crazy money. IMHO. Again, I could think of a lot of better coins to use that on and I agree that quite a few will be 'made' in the days to come.

The price is absurd, but to the defenders of this insanity, comparisons to coins from other series are apparently not relevant, even though collectors and "investors" make this type of decision all the time.

As most Lincoln Cent collectors will tell you, the 1909-s VDB is considered the key to the series. With $5,000, you could buy a MS65 RD example. If you prefer PCGS plastic, you could still get one for about the same price.

I do not collect Lincoln cents and never have. But even though it's actually a common coin, the '09-S VDB still has a "mystique" to it and I would rather have it over any modern US coin in this price range.

Just another example of "you dont have to be smart to be wealthy"!

Someone may have needed it to win in the Registry. If that was the case, money was probably no object.

From a numismatic perspective, 2010 cents were produced with the most horrible quality, spotted planchets, and superb-gems are very hard to come by. This is a tough coin, but $5000 was made possible by the registry phenomenon only. This would have been $200 in NGC plastic.

The PCGS Registry is one of the major players in the bifurcation of the market over the past decade. Obviously this is stupid money IMO, but if you want to be on top you have to spend it. Remember, there has to be an under bidder that wanted to be on top too.

Right now there are hundreds of people going through rolls of these. I expect there to be several of these graded in the next few months and this coin will be worth just a few bucks.

edited: kant speel

At this price this is clearly a foolish buy. MS-67 leaves a lot of room from a higher graded coin to come out the woodwork. Add to that the possibility that the toning I see on this piece might spread. This thing is zinc with a thin layer of copper, which ads up to unstable. All you need is on spot, and this thing is a penny in a plastic holder with a grading number on it that does not match reality.

I also find it excessively ironic that the PCGS Price Guide, which is usually extremely high on moderns (read as it often prices coins at multiples of their true value even in PCGS plastic), values this coin at $1,750. Is there something (e.g. variety, etc.) that we are missing?

Edited to add: I looked at the population report for this coin and it is 1/0 in PCGS plastic. At NGC, there are 118/1. The winning bidder should be concerned that the 68 or one of the 118 67s will find its way into a PCGS 67RD holder (or better). With the addition of even a single coin, I think the price will plummet.