• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another toned SBA....

16 posts in this topic

As I've stated before in this forum, I'm trying to assemble a nice colorfully toned set of the very short Susan B. Anthony series. If you read my post a few weeks back, I posted a Dansco set that was a mix of some AT and some NT. I picked a few and sent them off to PCGS to get slabbed. This will be a learning process for me, I know. That being said, I'm having fun and just thought I'd show my newest find while we await the PCGS results.

Picture17_zpsc379569e.png

Some direct light

Picture18_zps35a0482f.png

I like the striations going across the reverse. You don't see them very often but I think it looks super cool and I believe it would be hard to artificially produce that.

That coin looks beautiful.

I wish I knew if there was a certain environment that allows coins to tone better and faster.

My Sacagawea's are toning but not pretty like that. I have three rolls sitting in my safe but the door of the safe remains open most of the time.

I wish I knew if there was a certain environment that allows coins to tone better and faster.

My Sacagawea's are toning but not pretty like that. I have three rolls sitting in my safe but the door of the safe remains open most of the time.

First off, nice looking SBA there Bodin!

wdrob, the sacs are made of a different composition than the sba's and will probably never see this type of toning. They do tone in thier own way tho'.

Susan B never looked so good.

I have a buddy that had 3 or 4 similar to yours a few months ago. I'll see if he still has them.

I like the striations going across the reverse. You don't see them very often but I think it looks super cool and I believe it would be hard to artificially produce that.

I have pondered this statement quite a bit. Not saying it's wrong or right but I

appreciate you saying it. It gave me something to ponder. :)

I have pondered this statement quite a bit. Not saying it's wrong or right but I appreciate you saying it. It gave me something to ponder. :)
I think the short of what I was saying is that the coin looks wonderful and natural... to me! :)

First off, nice looking SBA there Bodin!

wdrob, the sacs are made of a different composition than the sba's and will probably never see this type of toning. They do tone in thier own way tho'.

Oooh! That was a mistake. I had just finished reading the Sacagawea thread. I meant SBA's. I have a couple of rolls of them.

I guess with patience I will eventually learn on my own. I have three or four different holder situations going on to see what starts to tone first.

I am guessing it is pure AT. While anything that improves the looks of those coins is ok with me, that ha almost the exact toning pattern of the hoard of high grade colorful buff nickels that was dispersed awhile back. Consider the coins are basically the same composition, it isn't a Hugh stretch to think it AT too. Little chance it grades at PCGS, who knows what NGC will call it.

Good luck on your submission - I feel they all are natural toned and been in either a Dansco or after market holder for 25+ years. I will be surprised if PCGS gives it AT.