• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the value?

17 posts in this topic

I certainly hope it's more than $300. Reviewing the coin I'd say it's probably an MS65 and I plan on sending it in to CAC for hopefully a gold sticker.

I felt the value was somewhere between $350 - $500 but they weren't willing to come down that much since they bought it for $925. So in the end I spent what I consider to be a large premium on this one. However, I think it'll probably be with my collection for the next 20 years.

I certainly hope it's more than $300. Reviewing the coin I'd say it's probably an MS65 and I plan on sending it in to CAC for hopefully a gold sticker.

I felt the value was somewhere between $350 - $500 but they weren't willing to come down that much since they bought it for $925. So in the end I spent what I consider to be a large premium on this one. However, I think it'll probably be with my collection for the next 20 years.

I don't dissagree that it could go MS65 and I am conservative when adding toning premiums. Some of the experts who consign for folks might come along and provide their input as well. In the end all that really matters is that in the end you are happy with your purchase.

If you actually bought it, did you not have a perceived value when you did? the market for coins like that is very bifurcated, the common folk like that are answering here, who might pay a 20% premium for that color... and then there is the toned Morgan minority, who might pay 4-10x premium, depending on how it 'fits' in their collection and interests.

I'm happy with it, I know I bought outside of the market price range and I figure if I were to sell I'd walk away with a $200 loss. So my reasoning goes I only need to find $200 worth of enjoyment in the ownership of this coin over the many years it'll be within my collection.

I'm happy with it, I know I bought outside of the market price range and I figure if I were to sell I'd walk away with a $200 loss. So my reasoning goes I only need to find $200 worth of enjoyment in the ownership of this coin over the many years it'll be within my collection.

And that is what is important. I too have paid what many would consider "moon" money for coins that I truly enjoy.

As an aside, when estimating the value of toners, I find that it is often useful to view the data in terms of multiples of guide value (either a retail price guide or greysheet, etc.). When looking at several pieces, you can get an idea of what someone who regularly collects toned coins might pay. I estimated the normal coin without color would retail for approximately $100 and figured that the toning might bring a 2x-4x premium ( used 3 as the high end previously). If the coin did end up with a gold bean or ended up in a 65 holder, then this would obviously change the math.

Since you asked about pricing toners, I also thought a discussion about how I arrived at the multiplier that I did would be relevant, and thus will discuss what I felt were the factors that increased the value. First of all, your coin has complete toning on at least one side of the coin, which is usually significant. Second, the toning is on the obverse, which many toned collectors prefer. Third, the toning is even and attractive. Fourth the coin even has a bit of textile toning, which is highly desirable (and that I initially missed and hence the reason that I said I could see 4x). Textile bag toning is rare, and highly prized. It is also difficult to replicate; thus, many collectors are even more willing to pay large sums of money since they are almost surely NT (and your coin clearly is - there is no doubt there). The limitations are that the colors are more pastel. Many pay more for coins that have an extreme amount of luster that make the toning "pop" in hand, and the market tends to value coins with vibrant colors more highly. Also, the colors themselves also affect the analysis. Some colors, such as emerald green, are farther along the toning spectrum and are much rarer. I hope this doesn't confuse you; it's just my thoughts on what I consider when pricing toned coins.

Finally, keep in mind that properly pricing these can be highly subjective, and the value is highly dependent on the collector base that purchases these. Some collectors like certain coins more than others. If you ever sell, the key is finding someone with similar tastes as you. Buy what you like and find desirable, but keep in mind, that when it comes to sell, others may value the coin differently.

And that is what is important. I too have paid what many would consider "moon" money for coins that I truly enjoy.

As an aside, when estimating the value of toners, I find that it is often useful to view the data in terms of multiples of guide value (either a retail price guide or greysheet, etc.). When looking at several pieces, you can get an idea of what someone who regularly collects toned coins might pay. I estimated the normal coin without color would retail for approximately $100 and figured that the toning might bring a 2x-4x premium ( used 3 as the high end previously). If the coin did end up with a gold bean or ended up in a 65 holder, then this would obviously change the math.

Since you asked about pricing toners, I also thought a discussion about how I arrived at the multiplier that I did would be relevant, and thus will discuss what I felt were the factors that increased the value. First of all, your coin has complete toning on at least one side of the coin, which is usually significant. Second, the toning is on the obverse, which many toned collectors prefer. Third, the toning is even and attractive. The limitations are that the colors are more pastel. Many pay more for coins that have an extreme amount of luster that make the toning "pop" in hand, and the market tends to value coins with vibrant colors more highly. Also, the colors themselves also affect the analysis. Some colors, such as emerald green, are farther along the toning spectrum and are much rarer. I hope this doesn't confuse you; it's just my thoughts on what I consider when pricing toned coins.

Finally, keep in mind that properly pricing these can be highly subjective, and the value is highly dependent on the collector base that purchases these. Some collectors like certain coins more than others. If you ever sell, the key is finding someone with similar tastes as you. Buy what you like and find desirable, but keep in mind, that when it comes to sell, others may value the coin differently.

Yep, I too use basically the same pricing standards you just listed above. I've been chatting with Shane for over a year now and he has really helped me in accurately pricing stuff in the past.

I felt this should get a 3x - 5x premium and I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't feel it have a good shot at an upgrade. So I basically paid 4x MS65 guide value... Really hoping its a 65 :-)

Yep, I too use basically the same pricing standards you just listed above. I've been chatting with Shane for over a year now and he has really helped me in accurately pricing stuff in the past.

You're definitely approaching the market wisely by consulting with someone experienced with this niche of the market. Shane, without doubt, is clearly very experienced and I would consider him an expert. He won't steer you wrong, and he is great to work with.

Also, since this is conspicuously missing from my first post, for whatever it is worth, I actually like the coin and think it is very nice for the grade. I also find the colors very attractive. Congratulations and happy collecting.

Since you asked about pricing toners, I also thought a discussion about how I arrived at the multiplier that I did would be relevant, and thus will discuss what I felt were the factors that increased the value. First of all, your coin has complete toning on at least one side of the coin, which is usually significant. Second, the toning is on the obverse, which many toned collectors prefer. Third, the toning is even and attractive. Fourth the coin even has a bit of textile toning, which is highly desirable (and that I initially missed and hence the reason that I said I could see 4x). Textile bag toning is rare, and highly prized. It is also difficult to replicate; thus, many collectors are even more willing to pay large sums of money since they are almost surely NT (and your coin clearly is - there is no doubt there). The limitations are that the colors are more pastel. Many pay more for coins that have an extreme amount of luster that make the toning "pop" in hand, and the market tends to value coins with vibrant colors more highly. Also, the colors themselves also affect the analysis. Some colors, such as emerald green, are farther along the toning spectrum and are much rarer. I hope this doesn't confuse you; it's just my thoughts on what I consider when pricing toned coins.

Kenny, thanks for your insights into market pricing for toners. I'm not a big fan of textile toning, but now I understand why it carries a bigger premium. I'm new to collecting and scratch my head at some of the premiums paid for toning. This certainly helps in my education.

Eric,

Whether it gold stickers or not it is a beautiful coin. As coinman said the colors are even and attractive and it has distinct textile toning. The colors are not the most desirable but they are nice. This coin was handled by Brandon Kelly and by Andy Kimmel. These are two dealers with an eye for really nice coins. The fact both handled it is an indication that it is pretty special. I have bought toned dollars from Andy for over 20 years. Only a few from Brandon but they are nice.

Value of coin- hard to say but I would buy it at $500 with no hesitation. I would not probably not pay $1000 gold stickered or not.

Anyway-beautiful coin. ENJOY!!!

Phillip

The coin arrived today. After seeing it in hand there isn't any hope of a gold CAC. It's a nice MS64 certainly but not MS65.

I think I can put a fair estimate on the price around $400-$500 so I paid a somewhere between a $200-300 premium for this coin. I'm not disappointed but like most everyone else it's always nice to buy in or at the money.

Still a great looking coin and it glows even in low lighting.

The coin arrived today. After seeing it in hand there isn't any hope of a gold CAC. It's a nice MS64 certainly but not MS65.

I think I can put a fair estimate on the price around $400-$500 so I paid a somewhere between a $200-300 premium for this coin. I'm not disappointed but like most everyone else it's always nice to buy in or at the money.

Still a great looking coin and it glows even in low lighting.

If you are happy with the coin, that is all that matters!! Ive paid "moon" money for some of my toners because I just couldnt leave the store without it.. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the coin you bought.. would be a great addition to my collection.. Good grab!