• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curious..What was the biggest jump in a regrade you have experienced?

31 posts in this topic

I am thinking about sumbitting some coins for regrade, and out of curiosity; what has been the biggest jump you guys have experienced in a regrade attempt? I imagine it would probably just be a single point...but who knows, there could be a cool story out there!

I haven't had good luck with simple regrades, but have with cracking out and resubmitting.

I've had a couple of Lincoln proof crackouts go from 65 to 67.

Usually, one grade up...a number of times.

I got a non-FH to a FH once that probably had the biggest VALUE jump.

Then again, I also had a coin go from MS62 to Genuine....that was a BIG HURT.

jom

my best regrade/crossover was an 1862 trime graded MS63 Old ANACS, cracked out and sent to NGC came back MS65. That was a nice surprise!

I once saw a large, older dealer jump about 6-inches when he got back a regrade at a show…does that count? (No...he was angry.)

my best regrade/crossover was an 1862 trime graded MS63 Old ANACS, cracked out and sent to NGC came back MS65. That was a nice surprise!

wow! Usually it's the other way around!

I had an 1889 Morgan that was in an awful beat up slab. I cracked it out and shipped it to NGC for regrading and included the original tag from the slab in the flip.

It came back graded exactly the same. Imagine that?

I once saw a large, older dealer jump about 6-inches when he got back a regrade at a show…does that count? (No...he was angry.)

So you're saying he didn't actually grab his hat and do a little jig? :banana:

jom

Nope. I think his coin went down, judging by the jumping and swearing. I've forgotten how it was but he's still in the business.

In holder regrades, I think 4 grade points and that was very recently. Not super expensive price difference, but still a nice ~$2K jump.

Crack outs and assuming nothing done to the coin (cleaning), many years ago I had a VF25 regrade AU53. The VF grade was just insanely low. I've also had some wild swings on esoteric stuff and countermarked coins.

I am thinking about sumbitting some coins for regrade, and out of curiosity; what has been the biggest jump you guys have experienced in a regrade attempt? I imagine it would probably just be a single point...but who knows, there could be a cool story out there!

I had a buffalo nickel in PCGS VF-35 get dropped to an ANACS F-12... and then get bumped into an NGC VF-20 holder. Yes, the same coin at those three different grades.

I also had an ANACS VF-30 undergraded bust half get body-bagged by PCGS (for being "bent" lol ) and then end up in an NGC EF-40 holder.

Both of these scenarios happened a long time ago. Things are different now, I am sure.

I had a buffalo nickel in PCGS VF-35 get dropped to an ANACS F-12... and then get bumped into an NGC VF-20 holder. Yes, the same coin at those three different grades.

I'm guessing a 1920's S mint? I've seen some wild grade swings on these.

I'm guessing a 1920's S mint? I've seen some wild grade swings on these.

Yep.

Jumps of 1 or 2 grades are not uncommon for in-holder regrades. I have had coins jump 5 grades when cracked out.

I have had rare $20 gold coins go from XF45, AU50, early holders to AU58 years ago. There is quite a bit of variability of grading; but generally it is too much trouble submitting again.

A couple months ago I had a Saint no grade for cleaning at NGC. I put it on a windowsill for a few weeks, sent to PCGS where it graded MS64 and it CAC'd too.

If you tried submitting a details grade coin in the holder to the other service good luck! "Well, well, well, look at what the cat dragged in!" I can imagine the grading department saying.