• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of my most enjoyable+rewarding transactions, ever, as a dealer - updated

35 posts in this topic

So, here's some background, and the reason that I feel the way I do about the transaction....

I have this wonderful client, who is incredibly trusting, gracious, polite, pleasant, patient and generous - an absolute pleasure to work with. Oh, and as an added bonus, he has a very good sense of humor and really knows how to make fun of me. ;)

Months ago, he told me that he would like my assistance in acquiring a Pan Pac $50, either a Round or Octagonal, though his preference was for the latter.

I knew it would take some time, due to the scarcity of the coins and my predisposition to be picky.

I began the search, and over the next few months, located/examined approximately ten examples, which failed to (pun intended) make the grade.

Last week, while at the Baltimore show, I received a call from Kathleen Duncan of Pinnacle Rarities, who knew I was looking for the coin. She is easily and deservedly one of my favorite coin dealers, and more importantly, one of my favorite persons on the planet.

Kathleen had seen a worthy Pan Pac candidate in the inventory of a dealer with whom we each do business. So she let him know I was looking for such a coin and put him in touch with me. The transaction was completed shortly thereafter.

Thanks to Kathleen for her assistance, to the dealer who owned the coin, for being easy to work with and to my client.

For me, in this business, there is nothing more enjoyable or rewarding than finding that special coin - no matter what it is - for a client, and making him or her a happy collector.

For those who wish, please feel free to guess the grade. But be warned, I shot the image quickly and do not feel it is a good one upon which to make an accurate grade guess.

Kathleen is aces. You are more like a pair of sevens. Not bad.

Great coin and that has to be satisfying for both you and your client. Congrat's

MJ

My #1 dream coin......

You ain't kidding :) ! I have DREAMED of owning one of those for decades, now.

I once, maybe fifteen years ago, very nearly pulled the trigger on a damaged example, and in retrospect should have done it. Even damaged examples bring big money today.

My preference would most definitely be for an octagonal example!

Mark,

Thanks for sharing. That is a fantastic coin/disk/ingot. I hope you derive enough satisfaction from transactions like this to make up for the occasional chatboard weenie attack and the random idiotic comments that sometimes get tossed your way.

Just another day at the office.... well done sir, as always.

My guess is MS66, which I think might be low.

Like The Highlander there can only be one. There is a single PCGS 66 that I know of and that is the single highest graded of this issue. There are about twenty 65's and about 120 in 64. The toughest thing about this issue is the propensity to be monkeyed with. I would need my hand held on a purchase like this.

One of my close friends has a NGC 66 and it's a thrill to behold

MJ

Thanks for sharing this deal, Mark, and it looks like it was a mega-win/win situation. You are "the man" in situations like this as I have seen you lauded on the other grading fourm.

I know very little about a coin like this but based upon what appears to be a flattening of the feathers on the reverse I'd guess some level of AU. That said, I'd still be honored to own that coin.

Add me to the list of people who would prefer an Octagonal who will most likely never own one! I know that the round is more expensive, but that Octagonal... man it's just special.

There are about twenty 65's and about 120 in 64.

You have to wonder how many of those are regrades Nearly one third the entire mintage grading 64 or better? I don't believe that.

There are about twenty 65's and about 120 in 64.

You have to wonder how many of those are regrades Nearly one third the entire mintage grading 64 or better? I don't believe that.

Agree .MJ