• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats your take on this eBay seller?

35 posts in this topic

Ebay Seller FB page

Seller: Coins.With. Equity.

First let me say that IMO a seller who labels all their RAW coins as "gradable MS" is asking for trouble/issues from buyers. Lets say a buyer purchased one of the "Gradable MS" coins, submitted it to NGC, and the coin came back "Details, polished"?

Do you interpret "Gradable MS" to mean, the coin will come back genuine if submitted to a TPG, or does it mean the coin will grade somewhere in Mint State?

Look at all the neg FBs. What makes a seller threaten other eBayers over the feedback left? Kind of whacky and rude to say the least what this seller said.

How does eBay even allow this seller to continue selling? I though that eBay was very strict on irate buyers and sellers. I thought eBay didn't tolerate sellers like this?

Also, Who or what is NGA? Are they even a legit TPG or are they, as some buyers claimed a "Basement grading company"?

I also have a hard time understanding how eBay goes about rating sellers. From a customer service stand point, this seller is in no way "top rated."

The current criteria for a seller to be "top rated plus" is simply low and purposeless.

•Proven track record of excellent service

•Ships quickly, with tracking provided on over 90% of items sold

•Has a minimum of 100 selling transactions per year

The first one applies to juding the sellers performance, as does fast shipping, but the other two IMO should be in the "Sellers who make eBay happy." category because amount of transactions and % of sales has nothing to do with how good the seller is to customers, just how good they are for eBay.

Does anything about this seller raise alarms? How uncalled for are his comments in the feedbacks towards buyers? What is your take on this guy?

-Dave

Everything about this seller raises alarms. I wouldn't even look at his inventory.

Edit: When I see even one comment like that to negative feedback, I also stay away from the seller. I always look at the negative comments of any seller before making any offers on their product. How a seller handles negative comments is a clear sign of their professional approach to selling. Or in the case of this seller, unprofessional approach.

In the past I avoided ebay like the plague because of sellers like that. Whenever I have run raw coins they do not bid strong, generally I lose real money on good coins. So I run certified with standard, plain Jane scanner images, 300-600 dpi. Pro images in my experience have done nothing for sales. The advantage with ebay is quick turnarounds on payment; in the past when I ran nice certifieds through numismatic auctions I would have to wait a long time before payment. Over the weekend a collector complained about an NGC and CAC coin saying he would be sending it to an ANA governor before it came back to me! He claimed he was a long term collector and wanted to judge all the grading services. I guess he will have fodder for another perfectionist thread at some coin site....

I know nothing of this seller, and I hate eBay. BUT, that being said... and I looked only at the page you linked... 21572 positives out of 21635 positive feedbacks seems like an extremely high rate of success to me. that's 99.71% positive.

If grading were that accurate, every collectable coin in existence should be certified.

Is there other negative information about the seller that isn't mentioned?

99.71% is very good, but maybe you have to consider all of the people that bought a coin, but aren't knowledgeable enough to know if it was a bad deal or not. Just saying :) I know I've left positive only to find out later that I was robbed.

To me, it's not the number of negatives. It's what was written by the buyer and how the seller responded.

I know he sells a lot of merchandise on eBay and dealing with the general public can be VERY difficult at times; however, if that's what he/she choose to do to make money, than at least be courteous and professional.

NGA and his current slabber of choice GSA are both self slabbing services. Coins should be treated as raw, and in most cases the barcode on the labels is not unique to that slab.

Self slabbing and failing to call the coin raw is deception. If he can't tell the truth on this, why would he be expected to be truthful otherwise?

One quick look at his inventory and I've concluded there's nothing I'd ever buy.

99.71% is very good, but maybe you have to consider all of the people that bought a coin, but aren't knowledgeable enough to know if it was a bad deal or not. Just saying :) I know I've left positive only to find out later that I was robbed.

+1. Out of those 99.71%, it is possibly that only a tenth of them or so can actually grade. Positive feedback also does not mean that the coin was accurately graded. I have purchased a few nice coins in third world slabs to crack out for an album, but I understood that the real grades were much less than the numbers on the holders (and I entered an appropriate bid level). The seller didn't mislead the product, so I left positive feedback.

I would stay clear just incase something goes wrong. Not worth it.

I do a little eBay stuff and when it comes to raw coins I do my best to as accurate as possible, sometimes even play it down a bit so if there is any discrepancy its to the buyers favor. It may not be totally fair to my pocket, but I would rather make a little money and have repeat business instead of making a lot one time only.

I buy off eBay but generally stick to NGC, PCGS, or the occasional ANACS due mainly to the fact that most of what I like is pricey and I don't like gambling. I purchase (and pay accordingly) a raw coin as if it were cleaned. Because of that, I don't generally leave negative feedback....except once when I refused to complete a transaction when the seller asked me to mail a money order to a person and address not associated with the account. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I wish I could afford to buy everything on my eBay watch list :insane:

This guy is merely proof that you can make a living selling to novice collectors by creating a nice package (slab) and putting in an average coin but implying it is better than it really is.

Is it his fault he has probably sold over 30,000 coins on Ebay or is it the uninformed buyers who continue to purchase?

What this guy is doing is no worse than any of the QVC and other TV snake oil salesman who dress up some state quarters and presidential dollars and sell them for retarded prices.

I have often thought it would be interesting to go to the bank and buy a roll of half dollars, put them in cheap slabs at my house and put them on eBay and see what kind of profit I can make.

I commend his business sense, but as a buyer I would avoid.

You commend his business sense that preys on uninformed buyers rather that try to make an honest buck?

It's what drives our country. I, like you, consider myself an honorable person with integrity who personally would not take this approach. That is also why I live paycheck to paycheck and my kids aren't driving around in new cars and sporting iphones.

But to ignore that this is what drives the U.S. Economy is foolish. Don't get me wrong there are some successful businesses and companies that maintain their principles but they are the exception, not the norm.

BTW, I have heard this same arguement made about the TPGs...it's all about making a buck.

Edited to say that I consider this forum to be an exception to the above said assumptions. I enjoy this place because the members DO have integrity and honesty.

You commend his business sense that preys on uninformed buyers rather that try to make an honest buck?

Every business "preys" on their customers in some form or fashion. This guy is crooked as the Tower of Pisa, no debate there. Buyers should start doing their own research before buying from him. Heck, with the internet.. the sky is the limit. I bet all those who got "burnt" by this joker has purchased a car before.. and I bet they went to all the sites that talk about cars (ie, Kelly Blue Book) and did some kind of research.. why are coins different? Im sure most of them are blinded by the plastic and not the coin. I looked at the guy's feedback. One buyer had commented that he asked about the grading company several times.. come on! Guess he doesnt have GOOGLE where he lives. Get burnt once, bummer... get burnt twice (by same dude), shame on you.

I was burnt once and I learned my lesson.. my lesson was "Impulse buying is bad, mmmmmm-kay". :roflmao:

Every business "preys" on their customers in some form or fashion. This guy is crooked as the Tower of Pisa, no debate there. Buyers should start doing their own research before buying from him. Heck, with the internet.. the sky is the limit. I bet all those who got "burnt" by this joker has purchased a car before.. and I bet they went to all the sites that talk about cars (ie, Kelly Blue Book) and did some kind of research.. why are coins different? Im sure most of them are blinded by the plastic and not the coin. I looked at the guy's feedback. One buyer had commented that he asked about the grading company several times.. come on! Guess he doesnt have GOOGLE where he lives. Get burnt once, bummer... get burnt twice (by same dude), shame on you.

I was burnt once and I learned my lesson.. my lesson was "Impulse buying is bad, mmmmmm-kay". :roflmao:

Fool me once, shame on you... Fool me twice, well I guess I'm not as wise I as thought.

As a capitalist, I have no issues with this or any seller profiting. IMHO, he is supplying the demand from novice coin collectors and budget collectors. If putting a high MS coin in a GSA slab and put MS70 on it gets you a $50.00 sale, whos fault is that?

BUT, the resposibility to understand what you are bidding on IS on the buyer. If the buyer felt "Taken" because the opinion on GSA being a "Basement TPG" was heard after the buyer won the coin, and left Neg FB, its 50/50. Yes, the buyer should have asked questions prior to bidding, but the seller also should have stated who GSA is. Not everyone knows of all the real TPGs and a novice collector might go on the fact that eBay says he is a "top seller."

BUT, the responsibilty to be honest and clear about what you are selling IS on the seller and being rude because someone disagrees with you is just stupid and pathetic.

What I do have a major problem with his the sellers comments towards buyers who left Neg FB. Not only are threats unproffessional, but completely uncalled for and a total deterent to future customers. I don't care if the seller had legit BU morgans for $20.00 a piece, I would never deal with someone who threatens lawsuits and spews BS at their customers.

-Dave

It's what drives our country. I, like you, consider myself an honorable person with integrity who personally would not take this approach. That is also why I live paycheck to paycheck and my kids aren't driving around in new cars and sporting iphones.

But to ignore that this is what drives the U.S. Economy is foolish. Don't get me wrong there are some successful businesses and companies that maintain their principles but they are the exception, not the norm.

BTW, I have heard this same arguement made about the TPGs...it's all about making a buck.

Edited to say that I consider this forum to be an exception to the above said assumptions. I enjoy this place because the members DO have integrity and honesty.

All I'm saying is I question what is commendable about this business model. It is profitable or he wouldn't have thousands of sales. My feeling is you simply chose the wrong word.

I doubt they are polishing modern stuff cut from mint sets that they are selling for $3.

Can you imagine shipping 80 sales/day or 400/week? or even finding them on the shelf when they 7000+ ongoing auctions?

All I'm saying is I question what is commendable about this business model. It is profitable or he wouldn't have thousands of sales. My feeling is you simply chose the wrong word.

George I often times find myself using the wrong words...lol. Commendable might not be the right word, but with 21k satisfied customers I would say he is doing something right.

Look at McDonalds...no one should be allowed to eat there but over a billion served.

99.71% is very good, but maybe you have to consider all of the people that bought a coin, but aren't knowledgeable enough to know if it was a bad deal or not.

Couldn't that also be true of sellers with 100% positive feedback?

99.71% is very good, but maybe you have to consider all of the people that bought a coin, but aren't knowledgeable enough to know if it was a bad deal or not.

Yes, and there are a number of sellers with 100% feedback, whom I consider to be unethical in their dealings.

Yes, and there are a number of sellers with 100% feedback, whom I consider to be unethical in their dealings.

I know many sellers like this. One of them doesn't have 100% feedback but I consider them to be the most crooked sellers on eBay. I wont name names here though.

One "type" of seller that bugs me is the ones that sell "unsearched Wheat Cent rolls" but put a silver dime or something on the end to try to get bidders to hype over the roll.

Now, I could understand a nice IHC or token on the end of maybe 1 out of every 500 rolls on eBay..But if one seller has 100 rolls listed and all 100 rolls have a silver dime on the end and the seller lists the rolls as unsearched? c'mon, talk about bait and switch.

I used to buy said rolls often, and I did get some rolls that I do believe were unsearched. Like the seller buys a bucket full and then rapid rolls them with a machine. But now, I am very cautious about buying WC rolls due to the abundance of sellers like this.

-Dave

I never understood the dime in the cent roll thing. Even if you have little knowledge of coins you should know than an "un-searched" roll wouldn't have a dime in it. Lot's of people are buying these and are happy with em (shrug)