• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

advise on ms-70

21 posts in this topic

i got some ms-70 coin cleaner.

can some give me some advise on how to use it?

what gives the best results and so on.

i know some of you think :pullhair:

and before you go crazy im just gonna try it on some junk silver coins first.

but i cant find anything on youtube or anywhere else.

any help here

I have used ez-zest dip. Don't know if it works the same way but it is very powerful. I've used mine just to dip off an ugly toning or just a quick rinse to clean. I only dip in 3 second intervals if needed. Too much can eat away luster really fast.

Most people advise distilled water but to be honest, I do a 3 sec dip while I have lukewarm water running and quickly rinse it off. Then I lay it on a plush type paper towel and pat dry. I've never seen any damage to my coins, but to each thier own method. I also use tongs when I dip so no fingers are covering any areas of the coin.

so just dip 3 sec and rinse in water..

and repeat if needed

do you use destilled water?

MS70 is not the same thing as coin dip. Dip is an acid that east a layer of oxidized metal off the coin. MS70 is a powerful detergent that dissolves built up surface contamination and some of the products of oxidization, without eating the metal itself. Follow the directions on the bottle.

Has anyone here used ms70 & still have a coin grade?

I use MS70 on almost every non-modern coin I submit. That's several thousand coins a year. They practically all grade unless it turned the coin an odd color - and blue isn't an odd color.

Has anyone here used ms70 & still have a coin grade?

I use MS70 on almost every non-modern coin I submit. That's several thousand coins a year. They practically all grade unless it turned the coin an odd color - and blue isn't an odd color.

Recomended for BN lincolns? Someone posted one a while back that was a gorgeous blue or purple afterward

My understanding is that MS 70 is similar to Acetone in that it doesn't harm the luster when used properly.

Dipping the coin in that jewelry cleaner stuff (which IS an acid) will instantly (and I mean instantly) alter the luster on a BU coin. The question then becomes is the ugly whatever worth removing at the expense of altered luster?

If you use this stuff dip for just a few seconds and then rinse liberally with warm water. I've even heard of people diluting dip to lessen the effects of the acid.

It's really a last resort thing.

If you use it on lower grade coins and remove all the gunk around the letters and numbers, it will come back as cleaned.

...only if you damaged it in the process, or it had cleaning damage, before-hand, which you subsequently revealed. MS70 does not damage coins, unless you are use it to turn copper.

I was talking MS70 - if you use it on a G or VG and remove all the dark junk around letters/devices, there is a chance it will details grade cleaned

My experience on original coins is that you really have to be experienced to not damage the coins. Most products remove some actual metal on the coin's surface as Anthony Swiatek showed in an article in his report a long time ago with high-tech metalurgic analysis. Acetone is completely non-reactive to metal. will just remove pvc, etc.. Ultrasonic cleaners with the right solution are generally non-damaging. You can't put the genie back in the bottle once the original surface of a coin is affected.

I don't know how NCS does it, but I have found original coins with a little pvc or similar foreign material to be much, much better when they come back, silver comes back sparkling and lustrous.