• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man O Man.... Blood will be shed over this one

51 posts in this topic

Very pretty, but technically lacking for the grade. The whack in the hair is deep. Bumped 2 grades for color.

My sentiments exactly... But... Most beautiful obverse I have ever seen... looks like a bag toned Morgan!

I wonder, has anybody ever seen that many reed marks on a Roosie before?

I think the toning is nice, but I have seen much prettier Roosevelt Dimes. Combined with the built in bump with grade (I would grade this coin MS66 at the max because of the hit on the head), I wouldn't be that excited about owning this coin. It will likely sell for an exorbitant premium, albeit one that I don't think will likely be justified (but of course, all I have to rely on is the Heritage Auction photos).

Roosies are not cool enough to be on the CAC list ( thank GOD!) But to answer your question.... in a hypothetical situation it would most likley not... still a gorgeous coin... Im glad everyone so far dont like it,.. might have to give it some action

Not into Roosies. As far as dimes are concerned, personally I'd rather have a MS-68 Mercury. But more power to those who collect the Roosies.

I'm not bragging or disrespecting the coin, but seriously, I have many in my set(s) that are, at least aesthetically to my eye, substantially prettier than the subject coin. Of course, I would never bother to get any of them certified for a numeric grade, so I don't know what role that will play in the high bid.

There are about 1 billion or more Roosevelt dimes in the world, this one is nice, but I get these in change every day. What am I missing?

Best, HT

You get them in change in that state of preservation and with that type of appearance? ;)

You could also state that there are a gazillion unc. Morgan Dollars in this world and then ask what you were missing about a high grade unc. that is beautifully toned.

I love the negative responses as a potential bidder.... But am blown away by some of the remarks... I would love to see some pics of Roosevelt dimes that have nicer toning than this one here. Sure I have Roosies that are much more wild... But to find a Roosevelt dime with toning that is smooth, no breaks whatsoever, and wild is a whole different ball park. Also, because of the size of these coins I can count on one hand how many times I have seen X+Y (4th-5th Blue + Glossy Black) combined with 3rd cycle toning.... Long story short.... If you have Black Spectrum Roosies... Lets see some pics because I don't believe for one second that there are many of them in existence.

I LOVE it but wont be a bidder. I am seriously tempted to do a Silver Roosie set and am making plans to start later this year.

Overall, I'd rate my reaction to that coin as: meh.

The impaired luster on the obverse due to the black toning is really hurting it for me. If you doubt that the luster is impaired, compare it to the luster on the reverse. You quickly see that the luster is lacking. That Coinfacts picture looks to have been taken under intense light and then oversaturated - in hand, I'll wager the coin is quite dark. It has also been bumped a full grade for the toning (I'd grade it a mid-grade 66, based on the large marks in prime focal areas). Yes, the toning is smooth and rather attractive once you get away from the black - but that doesn't make up for the rest of the coins. I'd be a buyer at the right price, but that right price is going to be a fraction of what it probably winds up selling for.

My usual disclaimer: these opinions are based on my interpretations of the photographs presented, and may change based on an in-hand viewing.

There are about 1 billion or more Roosevelt dimes in the world, this one is nice, but I get these in change every day. What am I missing?

Best, HT

You get them in change in that state of preservation and with that type of appearance? ;)

You could also state that there are a gazillion unc. Morgan Dollars in this world and then ask what you were missing about a high grade unc. that is beautifully toned.

Thanks Mark, I had no idea that this type of strike and toning was so rare on these, I better start paying attention more.... :boo:

I love the negative responses as a potential bidder.... But am blown away by some of the remarks... I would love to see some pics of Roosevelt dimes that have nicer toning than this one here. Sure I have Roosies that are much more wild... But to find a Roosevelt dime with toning that is smooth, no breaks whatsoever, and wild is a whole different ball park.

I think the coin is very pretty, but it's a matter of aesthetics. Going ONLY by toning and color, I have numerous Roosies that I personally consider a lot more attractive than that one. If required to nitpick, I'd say that the minor negatives for the subject coin include a lack of meaningful color on the reverse, and color rings that are just too small to "wow" me all that much. A dime is a small coin, and that little circle of color amounts to only a few millimeters. It would be more attractive if the color rings were expanded toward the edge, thus encompassing Roosevelt's portrait.

Again, is the coin not just pretty, but very pretty? Yes! It just isn't close to the prettiest I've seen or own -- and absolutely zero of my Roosevelt dimes cost me more than a couple of dollars or so.

I love the negative responses as a potential bidder.... But am blown away by some of the remarks... I would love to see some pics of Roosevelt dimes that have nicer toning than this one here. Sure I have Roosies that are much more wild... But to find a Roosevelt dime with toning that is smooth, no breaks whatsoever, and wild is a whole different ball park. Also, because of the size of these coins I can count on one hand how many times I have seen X+Y (4th-5th Blue + Glossy Black) combined with 3rd cycle toning.... Long story short.... If you have Black Spectrum Roosies... Lets see some pics because I don't believe for one second that there are many of them in existence.

I don't know what happened to them, but there were a boatload of incredibly toned high grade examples in Brian's collection when he was #1 in the registry. It looks like most of them are now in Nick's collection, but some of them definitely rivaled this one.

As for the negative comments about the coin, I am baffled. I don't like terminal state toning either but the area that is affected is so small and the other areas so incredibly toned, that I am inclined to ignore it. I would like to see the coin in hand though to ensure that the luster is not muted before I would pay moon money for this Rosie.

Stole this from coinfacts for you all

26266549_2200_zps033819cf.jpg

I like it better now, but would still call it a technical 66. To me, the toning premium is already built into the grade, but I don't think bidders will see it that way. Regardless, I wouldn't go crazy and bid moon money for it.

I would want to see it in hand to convince myself it was natural toning - but no use, as I would never want to pay multiples of white for that coin, and I have to think that is what it will cost.

I would want to see it in hand to convince myself it was natural toning - but no use, as I would never want to pay multiples of white for that coin, and I have to think that is what it will cost.

Many many multiples

Many many multiples

Or not, I just looked at the price guide. I feel like I am in the twighlight zone. Why is an MS67 Roosevelt valued over $1,000?

I think the True View is image is oversaturated and this is leading to some of the "wildness" that the toning exhibits.

Many many multiples

Or not, I just looked at the price guide. I feel like I am in the twighlight zone. Why is an MS67 Roosevelt valued over $1,000?

very hard in full bands.... very very hard! 1957 is harder and than 1958 is like a witch hunt