• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think its fake?

15 posts in this topic

Looks real to me. Is the seller from China? Zero feedback? Looks like a real one that was severely cleaned but it still has old crust in the right places for a cleaned coin.

Fake ...

It is the new Chinese "fallen 4" variety. Do you see how the "4" is lower than then other digits in the date? In the 1850s all four digits were punched into the die at one time. It might slant to the right or left, but only for all four digits, not just one.

Beyond that the Ms. Liberty's shield is strong while the rest of the design looks "ghostly." The digits in the date are not right either. The reverse is a reasonable copy although it does have some lumps such between "F" and "A."

what would you pay for this?

I would say that the guys who make this stuff should spend ten to twenty in the state pen. ;)

please tell why not? what do you see.

it was my first thought to.. just feel like something is wrong

I thought I answered you question two minutes before this post.

please tell why not? what do you see.

it was my first thought to.. just feel like something is wrong

I thought I answered you question two minutes before this post.

Probably was posting to Toms post while you were posting Bill.

I wouldn't pay more tha $5 for it

reverse has blebs popping up from field and letters look bad

blow up the picture and check the letter M in AMERICA

stars in obverse also are funky and color is off (although that may be how the sellers silver coins look)

and it has been damaged and cleaned to help fool the people looking for a steal

I'm not convinced that the obverse and reverse pictures are even of the same coin.

The reverse picture appears to be of a genuine coin (not possible to be 100% sure from that picture, however).

The 1854 obverse is positively a modern fake.

Well the crustiness of the reverse sure fooled me into thinking it was real. I am grateful to Bill for pointing out the dropped 4 in the date. I would not have known that if he hadn't pointed it out.

Well the crustiness of the reverse sure fooled me into thinking it was real. I am grateful to Bill for pointing out the dropped 4 in the date. I would not have known that if he hadn't pointed it out.

I agree with Mr. Carr - the reverse looks to be a genuine coin and the obverse, a counterfeit.