• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin Half

36 posts in this topic

Until recently, I had no Franklin Half dollars. After looking around at all the different coins, I began to really like the way these coins look, so I decided to buy one. I didn't want to spend too much for my first one because I don't know too much about them yet, so I kept it under $40.

It too me a few days to find one, and I've come to the conclusion that I prefer one that's not proof like and lustrous white. I'm sure I'll eventually get one of those, but this one really caught my eye and I'm happy to own.

1958franklin1a.jpg

1958franklin1b.jpg

1958franklin2a.jpg

EDIT: I've seen a few labeled FBL and saw that my bell looks similar, but not on slab. Can someone tell me what I might be missing here?

Thanks!

It's good that you prefer non-prooflike examples, as they are extremely rare. ;)

Yours did not receive the FBL designation you asked about, because the lower set of horizontal lines on the bell is conspicuously interrupted/mmissing.

It's good that you prefer non-prooflike examples, as they are extremely rare. ;)

Yours did not receive the FBL designation you asked about, because the lower set of horizontal lines on the bell is conspicuously interrupted/mmissing.

I see that now. Thank you. Close :)

Nice coin!

But proofs with toning can look pretty nice!

Yes, I saw a few, but they were a little more than I wanted to spend. I like the looks of these coins, so I'll prob get another soon enough.

:) I just love the way these look.

Nice coin!

But proofs with toning can look pretty nice!

Anything looks nice after Phil Arnold runs it through the magical PCGS TrueView juicer. ;)

This is also new. It was inexpensive and appears to be a common date, but first Mercury dime :)

1944dime1.jpg

1944dime2.jpg

The Mercury Dime displays unnatural/artificial color, looks circulated and may have been cleaned, as well.

Your Franklin is a nice coin and worth about what was paid. The FBL designation is desired but elusive since some coins weren't well struck. Even when they are the very bottom line on the bell has breaks that you should be aware of.

These pretty coins have a lot to like because of the huge fields they possess. In high grades they are nice to look at. Franklin's also take on very pretty natural toning, mostly from original mint set storage.

The entire set is one of those series that's pretty easy to find at a very reasonable price as well.

The Franklin you bought appears attractive, and displays fairly common mint set toning. Everything you need to know to get started collecting Franklin Halves can be found in my Registry set, which is linked below in my signature. I also discuss the FBL designation in depth. I highly recommend you read the information there if you intend to collect Franklins (which is a fun set to do - as you can tell).

Unfortunately, I agree with Mark concerning your Mercury dime. I don't know how much you paid for it, but I would return that and call it a lesson learned.

The Franklin you bought appears attractive, and displays fairly common mint set toning. Everything you need to know to get started collecting Franklin Halves can be found in my Registry set, which is linked below in my signature. I also discuss the FBL designation in depth. I highly recommend you read the information there if you intend to collect Franklins (which is a fun set to do - as you can tell).

Unfortunately, I agree with Mark concerning your Mercury dime. I don't know how much you paid for it, but I would return that and call it a lesson learned.

I'll take a look at your set, thanks. Looking fwd to getting more. The dime I paid $4 for and I don't intend on getting any more unless its slabbed.

Thank you all for your opinions!

Just for the record, your Franklin cost you $40. It cost it's original owner (or some past caretaker) the price of the coin plus $17 plus insurance and mailing costs (minimum) to get it slabbed.

It's probably a really good idea to only send in to be graded coins you think will be valued at, say, $100 minimum. My advice would be to just buy them slabbed rather than doing that yourself without guidance. The pitfalls and disappointments are many.

My advice would be to just buy them slabbed rather than doing that yourself without guidance. The pitfalls and disappointments are many.

Yeah, I'll be getting Franklins that are already slabbed for sure. Thanks for the advice!

Until recently, I had no Franklin Half dollars. After looking around at all the different coins, I began to really like the way these coins look, so I decided to buy one. I didn't want to spend too much for my first one because I don't know too much about them yet, so I kept it under $40.

It too me a few days to find one, and I've come to the conclusion that I prefer one that's not proof like and lustrous white. I'm sure I'll eventually get one of those, but this one really caught my eye and I'm happy to own.

If you feel like it, take a look at my #1 set posted here on the boards just about a year ago. I recently sold off my partial #2 set of toners to free up some needed cash :( .

If you feel like it, take a look at my #1 set posted here on the boards just about a year ago. I recently sold off my partial #2 set of toners to free up some needed cash :( .

I just did and I'd have to say that I liked them all! Nice collection and I hope that you're able to get those back one day.

While you didnt pay much so youre fine as far as that goes, I am going to offer a different opinion about your Franklin as others just to show you that coin collecting has different twists and turns and it will be some time before you find your niche. I dont like the Franklin that much. And the reason is that for an MS 65, it has some bag marks and a big hit in a prime focal area, that being the bell. It has the 2 coin clanks right on the bell crack, and then the big gauge just left of the eagle on the right side of the bell. I think there are a lot nicer 65s out there with their marks in less focal areas. Usually the same hits in the fields rather than devices turn out to look a little less obvious. Its not an ugly coin and I think the obverse is a 65, but I think the reverse is a 64. The hits left of the D and dollar and above the F in half along with the bag marks I mentioned above to me shouldnt be on a 65.

I am going to offer a different opinion about your Franklin as others just to show you that coin collecting has different twists and turns ....

And I appreciate it. Everyone sees something different, so it's helpful. I want to see why someone doesn't like it or if its a waste in their opinion. It'll help me be more selective when shopping around.

I don't know all that much yet, but I'd have to ask whats up with the scratching over the eagle and other places. Is that the way it toned? I'm sure it looks a lot different in hand.

I don't know all that much yet, but I'd have to ask whats up with the scratching over the eagle and other places. Is that the way it toned? I'm sure it looks a lot different in hand.

The scratching that you are talking about is when the die was repolished. Basically the die had gotten enough use, but was still in decent enough shape, that the techs at the mint decided to repolish it. The repolished dies then stamp the repolishing marks (e.g. the scratches) into the planchet when the die is used. Sometimes repolishing marks are subtle, sometimes they are right in your face. In this case they are right in your face. 1949 S is a known date/mm for producing Franklins with PL characteristics, and the PL Franklins are often created from repolished dies.

If you can find it, I would recommend the Rick Tomaska book, "The Complete Guide to Franklin Half Dollars", (1997) published by DLRC Press. IMO it is the most informative of the books on Franklins. Tomaska also has a more recent offering called, "A Guide Book of Franklin and Kennedy Half Dollars", (2011) published by Whitman.

I think for a beginner you did fine with your coin. IMO the coin is reasonable for the grade. Franklins often have a lot of nicks and dings, as the simple open design does not hide hits. For example, in the whole series, there is only one coin that has ever been graded 68 (and IMO it is NOT), and 67's are very rare given the tens of millions of Frankies that were minted. Personally for me, the relative lack of luster on your imaged coin lowers it's appeal a bit. However, I realize the lack of luster could simply be because of the way the coin was imaged, and that in hand (e.g. in reality) the coin may have a nice amount of underlying luster.

BTW, 1958 P Franklins can often have blueish toning. Yours appears to have this. FWIW, 1958 D Franklins will often have green or red toning. One thing to remember about coins is that not all coins of the same grade look the same. I specialize in collecting Franklins, and my birth year is 1958, so I've got a good slug of 1958 P and D material. Here is a 1958 that is also graded MS65 (by PCGS).

1958MSFrankie.jpg

1958MSFrankieRev.jpg

I wish you well in collecting coins in general, and Franklins in particular. They are a great series to collect, and you can get a lot of attractive examples of the date/mm's in the series for very reasonable prices.

Thanks for posting that. Cool looking coin. Thanks for also explaining those scratches. I'm learning a lot here. Appreciate it!

We ALL started as Newbies. The only way to learn is to keep asking questions. These boards are a great place to ask them. All of us here are still learning.

Just be aware that unfortunately you are going to make some bad purchases. We ALL have. It is called paying your tuition. There are unscrupulous sellers out there that are more than happy to rip an uneducated buyer. Just remember two basic rules in coin collecting. First, only purchase coins with disposable income. Second, and IMO most importantly, HAVE FUN!!! It is a GREAT hobby, and you can have a LOT of fun purchasing neat coins and meeting other coin junkies.

Hey, I like my Franklin prooflike

1949_franklin_prooflike_obv.jpg

1949_franklin_prooflike_obvbig.jpg

1949_franklin_prooflike_rev.jpg

Very nice. All of my Franklins are proof but, I would like to get a nice MS one day. A PL would be an added bonus.

Hey, I like my Franklin prooflike

1949_franklin_prooflike_obv.jpg

1949_franklin_prooflike_obvbig.jpg

1949_franklin_prooflike_rev.jpg

Was this Jason's old coin before he upgraded the slot in his type set?

I sold this one, and at the time, I made comment of the curly, thread strike-thru below the chin.

Thanks for posting that. Cool looking coin. Thanks for also explaining those scratches. I'm learning a lot here. Appreciate it!

We ALL started as Newbies. The only way to learn is to keep asking questions. These boards are a great place to ask them. All of us here are still learning.

Just be aware that unfortunately you are going to make some bad purchases. We ALL have. It is called paying your tuition. There are unscrupulous sellers out there that are more than happy to rip an uneducated buyer. Just remember two basic rules in coin collecting. First, only purchase coins with disposable income. Second, and IMO most importantly, HAVE FUN!!! It is a GREAT hobby, and you can have a LOT of fun purchasing neat coins and meeting other coin junkies.

Best response in any thread in a long time! Take it to heed! Buy what you like, but do it with disposable income and have fun. You will have a long of learning along the way, so try to enjoy it.

Franklins can be blah and toned franklins can be cool. I have a few nice ones, as do many of the folks on the boards...but if memory serves, see if you can get Skyman to post a couple of his special ones ;)

At least some of these polished dies may be been created that way from inception, not merely re-polished.

Do you think the activity in Jimbucks' 49s around the IN G(od we trust) is grease on a fresh die or die wear on an older die?