• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin Half

36 posts in this topic

At least some of these polished dies may be been created that way from inception, not merely re-polished.

Do you think the activity in Jimbucks' 49s around the IN G(od we trust) is grease on a fresh die or die wear on an older die?

Neither. I think it is an area of incomplete strike. I will refer you to my 1963 which displays identical effects, but around the whole motto:

1963NGCms66fblObvHR02_1.jpg

At least some of these polished dies may be been created that way from inception, not merely re-polished.

Do you think the activity in Jimbucks' 49s around the IN G(od we trust) is grease on a fresh die or die wear on an older die?

That's a very common effect on these. I do not believe this is die fatigue. It could be from grease or weak strike, but I am about to do a thread documenting the die states of one of these granite-like polished PL coins, and the early stage has this, but it actually seems to faide away as the die wears from mirrored to frosted. This does not rule out that it could be coincidental strike weakness, however.

Hey, I like my Franklin prooflike

1949_franklin_prooflike_obv.jpg

1949_franklin_prooflike_obvbig.jpg

1949_franklin_prooflike_rev.jpg

Was this Jason's old coin before he upgraded the slot in his type set?

I will also add that, whileit is designated PL, it is not the earliest stage of the die. Just like with coin grading, die states run on a continuum, and this is actually the latest stage of the Early Die State. Some of these show much better mirrors.

I sold this one, and at the time, I made comment of the curly, thread strike-thru below the chin.

Hey, I like my Franklin prooflike

1949_franklin_prooflike_obv.jpg

1949_franklin_prooflike_obvbig.jpg

1949_franklin_prooflike_rev.jpg

Was this Jason's old coin before he upgraded the slot in his type set?

I sold this one, and at the time, I made comment of the curly, thread strike-thru below the chin.

I just wished Coinman hadn't put his thumbprint on the reverse at 9:00. :)