• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perhaps THE most beautifully toned Capped Bust Half I have ever seen....

192 posts in this topic

After reading some of the further comments here, I checked the listing again, thinking bidding had gotten to some astronomical number. It was still at the $1997 it was when the thread started.

In the grand scheme of things, $2k isn't all that much money anymore, for just about anyone living in Western Civilization. Even making minimum wage, a person could easily save up enough to buy this in a few months or so, if they really wanted it.

I understand that it is aggressive for the date, series, and grade...but it's not, say, the cost of a new (or even decent used) car, and even if someone was "buried" in it, that's not that much dirt.

I believe that when I started the thread, the high bid was ("only") approximately $1100-$1200 hammer. But, I agree with you that the current level isn't likely to put someone that far underground.

I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of the bidders are forum members. Such a strong endorsement on an open venue with the heard like mentality of normal collectors and you have a recipe for a bidding frenzy.

After reading some of the further comments here, I checked the listing again, thinking bidding had gotten to some astronomical number. It was still at the $1997 it was when the thread started.

In the grand scheme of things, $2k isn't all that much money anymore, for just about anyone living in Western Civilization. Even making minimum wage, a person could easily save up enough to buy this in a few months or so, if they really wanted it.

I understand that it is aggressive for the date, series, and grade...but it's not, say, the cost of a new (or even decent used) car, and even if someone was "buried" in it, that's not that much dirt.

I believe that when I started the thread, the high bid was ("only") approximately $1100-$1200 hammer. But, I agree with you that the current level isn't likely to put someone that far underground.

I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of the bidders are forum members. Such a strong endorsement on an open venue with the heard like mentality of normal collectors and you have a recipe for a bidding frenzy.

I'm gonna watch it when it hits the block---that's for sure!

There are 41 people watching this one----that is the most that I've ever seen on one coin!!!

The AU55 Chain Cent has 140 people watching.

WOW!!

High tracking numbers of that nature aren't as uncommon as you seem to think. I have a coin consigned to the sale, which currently has 121 viewers. And it's not in the (rarity or excitement) class of that Chain Cent.

There are 41 people watching this one----that is the most that I've ever seen on one coin!!!

The AU55 Chain Cent has 140 people watching.

WOW!!

High tracking numbers of that nature aren't as uncommon as you seem to think. I have a coin consigned to the sale, which currently has 121 viewers. And it's not in the (rarity or excitement) class of that Chain Cent.

That's interesting. The Walkers that I watch never get that high. ;)

By the way, I find the high bid of $1899 on this lot to be rather interesting. Why wouldn't you bid $1900?

Maybe it's the consignor bidding and wants to get what he paid. Somehow that wouldn't surprise me.

By the way, I find the high bid of $1899 on this lot to be rather interesting. Why wouldn't you bid $1900?

Maybe it's the consignor bidding and wants to get what he paid. Somehow that wouldn't surprise me.

I think your comment is speculative and unfair.

I think your comment is speculative and unfair.

P.S. Ankur: Are you the direct under bidder?

Ankur, do you have any idea what the current high bidder's maximum bid is? Unless he told you personally, for all you know, his bid could be much higher than that.

And do you know whom the consignor is and what his commission rate is? If not, you don't know what he would net for the coin, based on any particular bid.

Finally, for the consignor to bid, he would need to do so under a separate account. And if he were to do that and ended up as the winning bidder, he would likely have to pay more than 20% to continue to own his own coin.

I do not know who the consignor is. I am not the direct under bidder.

What I am stating is an opinion, or speculation, and is not based on any inside information. The bid amount of $1899 just seems odd.

I am also SPECULATING, that the consignor is recieving 100% of hammer since he has consigned his entire collection of gold stickered coins.

This is my opinion, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

What I am stating is an opinion, or speculation, and is not based on any inside information. The bid amount of $1899 just seems odd.

I am also SPECULATING, that the consignor is recieving 100% of hammer since he has consigned his entire collection of gold stickered coins.

You don't sound as if you have a grasp of how the bidding works. The current bid is a result of a combination what the current under bidder bid, what the bidding increments are and what the high bidder bid. For all you know, the current high bidder placed a bid that is thousands of dollars higher.

ok. my mis-interpretation.

Just don't outbid me. ;)

I have been looking for what I would call a naturally toned "monster" Capped Bust Half Dollar for some time and this is the closest that I think has come to market in some time.

ok. my mis-interpretation.

Just don't outbid me. ;)

I have been looking for what I would call a naturally toned "monster" Capped Bust Half Dollar for some time and this is the closest that I think has come to market in some time.

Good luck

I hope he is getting more then 100% of hammer for that consignment. MJ

Interesting. It jumped from $1100-$1200 to the slightly less than $2,000 mentioned by keigwin in the span of about 9 hours on the 21st.

Sadly, the images wont show you what it really looks like, but is is wild looking and gorgeous.

Based on the current bidding, it appears that one or more other bidders share my enthusiasm. For the record, I have already been outbid.

The image doesn't even really hint at how beautiful this one is

I had the opportunity to view this coin in the Heritage viewing area. The Gold CAC sticker is well deserved, this is a solid 55. A bit too much wear to be a 58. The Gold CAC sticker doesn't say anything about the absolutely stunning toning on both the Obverse and Reverse. Those colors are alive. When the coin is tilted under the viewing light, incredible green, blue, rose and gold pockets of color emerge around and with in the devices. Simply stunning

I must agree with Mark, easily the most beautifully toned CBH I have ever had the privilege of viewing. I just don't know how to determine the value.

Now I'm faced with the dilemma of seeing a truly uniquely toned CBH, a kind of coin which may never be available again, and not bidding on it. Guess I'm going to sleep on it.

Carl

Carl,

I dont think anyone knows how to value this. This will definetly go nuts towards the end.

It might have already gone nuts. I would not use the word "definitely", no matter how strongly I felt. ;)

I also got the chance to view this coin. I think it is a solid 53+, borderline 55.

The toning, however! Wow, Mark was not exaggerating when he said it was absolutely outstanding. This is the most vivid rainbow I've ever seen on a Bust Half, and it was a true pleasure to be able to view it.

I still think this coin is worth $500. The big money boys collecting Capped Bust Half Dollars by Overton would not want this coin for more money, because it is too low grade in a very common marriage. I hope the winning bidder wants to keep this one forever.