• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perhaps THE most beautifully toned Capped Bust Half I have ever seen....

192 posts in this topic

I don't know exactly when this coin hit the $2K make but my guess was pretty accurate.

However, I played around with the photos and I still can't see how anyone can tell whether that coin is correctly graded or not from that awful photo. What I can tell...just based on the photo...I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pay much more than the one I already own of that date....again...by the photo.

Anyway, I'll be curious to see where it ends up...

jom

I don't know exactly when this coin hit the $2K make but my guess was pretty accurate.

However, I played around with the photos and I still can't see how anyone can tell whether that coin is correctly graded or not from that awful photo. What I can tell...just based on the photo...I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pay much more than the one I already own of that date....again...by the photo.

jom

With 20 days to go I'm guessing much much higher. MJ

It'll come around again, why doesn't anybody want to keep it?

The person selling this coin is selling all of his 200+ gold stickered coins in one fell swoop...........It might even be more then 200+

MJ

I was offerred this coin TWICE a few years ago, and passed both times feeling it was priced too high. It was before CAC existed.

Stupid stupid stupid! :makepoint:

Ankur, if you can say, what price or prices were you quoted? Thanks.

I was offerred this coin TWICE a few years ago, and passed both times feeling it was priced too high. It was before CAC existed.

The first time I think it was in 2007 or 2008 and the price was $900!

The second time I saw it at a show in 2009 and it was $1200 I think.

:makepoint::insane:

The first time I think it was in 2007 or 2008 and the price was $900!

The second time I saw it at a show in 2009 and it was $1200 I think.

:makepoint::insane:

Thanks. By the way, how impressed (or not) were you with its color?

That is one reason I passed. The color made the coin glow as if it was radioactive! I wasn't confident it was NT. Clearly I was wrong.

I think it's NT, and apparently, so did CAC. But that doesn't mean you were clearly wrong.

jom

With 20 days to go I'm guessing much much higher. MJ

Yeah, I take that back. I didn't mean accurate. I meant that I didn't go over...like the "Price is Right!". lol

Whether the coin is worth going much more I don't know...that picture just isn't good enough.

I think this one also glows, I love it.

The image is very big so I will provide a link:

1828 Half

That is a nice one...kind of reminds me of my 1823...colorwise anyways...so much so I thought it WAS my coin...until I saw the date.

jom

Not really...I took the above photo earlier and tried to enhance it in photoshop to see if I could decipher it a bit better. It didn't help....this must have been taken on one of Heritage's "bad photo days". heh

Does anyone know if this coin has been in an auction recently...maybe a Stacks auction...last year??? Ankur???

jom

I would love to see the REAL color of this CBH. The Proof Walker that MJ bought from Mark didn't show the color well in the Heritage photo, either, and it was stunning when re-imaged. :luhv:

little better?

bustcolor.jpg

Just a little. It doesn't even really hint at the true color/beauty of the coin. Based on that image, it's about a $400 coin. I bid multiples of that and have been outbid by more than one bidder already.

I bet mark will be the winner of this!

I bet I wont. As much as I like it, I am through bidding on it. Call me a wimp ;)

You are in a bit of a bind then. If you do bid we'd just call you a clown. lol

jom

I've also been watching this one since it was posted. My favorite toning effect is this type of magenta and purple smattering surrounded by neon rainbow colors. Coins with this effect are few and far between, especially a slider Capped Bust half.

The 1831 deserves a strong bid, but at a certain point, dealers have to remember that this is a business, and if you can't make any money on it, then it is just as well that it end up in the hands of another.

1956Do25.jpg

little better?

bustcolor.jpg

Just a little. It doesn't even really hint at the true color/beauty of the coin. Based on that image, it's about a $400 coin. I bid multiples of that and have been outbid by more than one bidder already.

Looks like a "mushy" strike to my eyes, anyone else agree?