• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question regarding selling etiquette

35 posts in this topic

If one wanted to sell an item on the moneymarketplace (or equivalent) forum, but the same item was for sale by another member for a higher price, is there an etiquette regarding whether or not one should post -- I have such an item, but have not posted, yet the other seller continues to repost the item for sale. BTW, this item is not necessarily on the collectors society forum. Thoughts on this?

Well, if the other seller continues to post the item FS, maybe the price is too high for the current market. Reguardless, I see no harm in offering something for cheaper than someone else is.

If one wanted to sell an item on the moneymarketplace (or equivalent) forum, but the same item was for sale by another member for a higher price, is there an etiquette regarding whether or not one should post -- I have such an item, but have not posted, yet the other seller continues to repost the item for sale. BTW, this item is not necessarily on the collectors society forum. Thoughts on this?

It may honk him off, but it's hardly unethical. It's called, "competition."

I've done this before but not in a way to intentionally undermine another seller but it was that I was more realistic in the price I wanted and needed the money soon so I listed something cheaper than the other perosn

Just ask him to not list his for a week or so, put the ball in his court

Why, on earth, should he do that?

There is no need to put the ball in the other person's court or suggest that he temporarily remove his listings.

So long as you don't link his thread inside of yours to show the readers what a deal they are getting by buying your coin, I think you should be okay.

I see nothing wrong with listing your coin. A little friendly competition never hurts.

Agree. List it for the price you need to get and don't worry about what anyone else is selling.

Yes. Price fixing is against the law, the thing one loses in an overpriced listing is credibility; the only thing you lose with underpriced ones is money but you gain timely use of money that is otherwise tied up.

Nothing at all wrong with listing the same coin for less money. Healthy market competition and capitalism at it's finest.

I see it on Ebay all the time. Sometimes the cheaper coin is of BETTER quality, too!

There is no need to put the ball in the other person's court or suggest that he temporarily remove his listings.

Common courtesy? Obviously if it bothers the OP enough to ask the question a little common courtesy can't hurt.

Common courtesy? Obviously if it bothers the OP enough to ask the question a little common courtesy can't hurt.

That doesn't sound like common courtesy to me - does it to you? If so, do you believe that any time a seller has an item to sell, which is already listed somewhere by someone else at a higher price, he should either not list it or suggest that the other person temporarily end their listing?

That doesn't sound like common courtesy to me - does it to you? If so, do you believe that any time a seller has an item to sell, which is already listed somewhere by someone else at a higher price, he should either not list it or suggest that the other person temporarily end their listing?

It obviously sounds like common courtesy to me or I would not have posted it. It amazes me with the integrity you show Mark, and I don't remember the specific post you asked, but I recall a thread that you started that the general consensus was that you were being too nice and worrisome. Yet you seem to have a problem with this. Obviously the OP does too or he would not have asked. I see no problem with a PM to the other seller saying what I was going to do. He would probably appreciate it. Maybe I'm too nice, I doubt it, but in a closed society as this I think it is a common courtesy, on ebay or someplace else I wouldn't worry about it. JMO

It obviously sounds like common courtesy to me or I would not have posted it. It amazes me with the integrity you show Mark, and I don't remember the specific post you asked, but I recall a thread that you started that the general consensus was that you were being too nice and worrisome. Yet you seem to have a problem with this. Obviously the OP does too or he would not have asked. I see no problem with a PM to the other seller saying what I was going to do. He would probably appreciate it. Maybe I'm too nice, I doubt it, but in a closed society as this I think it is a common courtesy, on ebay or someplace else I wouldn't worry about it. JMO

Why only a PM? Maybe start a thread about it. :D

Why only a PM? Maybe start a thread about it. :D

thats probably a better idea, to get more opinions. Since you suggested it, go ahead. You can take all the credit

I do think it would be a(n) (un)common courtesy to PM the other person as you just described above. But, to me, at least, that is very different from suggesting that the other person "not list his for a week or so". I think it's more likely that the recipient of that type of message would be upset, than it is he would be appreciative.

I see no problem with listing it at the same time. It would not be bad form to PM the seller of your intentions if you felt that was appropriate, but IMO it would not be necessary. The sellers coin could be overpriced; however, not all coins are created equal either. Just my opinion for what it is worth. Good luck!

edit: correction

Ok, I agree to the (un) common, however, I would rather not list something, than deal with the why is yours so much more than his?
This isn't a unique or rare occurence. Surely I could find 1000's of examples that match this scenario. The only difference between this is, most don't discuss it. Why? Because it isn't necessary.

Ok, I agree to the (un) common, however, I would rather not list something, than deal with the why is yours so much more than his?
This isn't a unique or rare occurance. Surely I could find 1000's of examples that match this scenario. The only difference between this is, most don't discuss it. Why? Because it isn't necessary.

Thousands? Here?

This isn't a unique or rare occurance. Surely I could find 1000's of examples that match this scenario. The only difference between this is, most don't discuss it. Why? Because it isn't necessary.

Thousands? Here?

BTW, this item is not necessarily on the collectors society forum.

Etiquette could conceivably come into play, but I've never noticed any difficulties in that regard. Certainly there are no ethical or moral issues to be concerned about!

(I assume you mean a "similar or like" item, and not the exact same one.)