• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy coin on Ebay -

74 posts in this topic

PCGS says it's cleaned unc. Seller claims it's a proof.

If you believe PCGS it's probably about a $80 coin.

Seller wants $19,950.

Seems to be an Ebay violation advertising it as a proof.

What's the deal with this seller?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1893-Columbian-Silver-Half-Dollar-PROOF-COIN-PCGS-UNC-Details-/190710169326?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2c67363eee

Careful, no one likes when you judge the holy "Julian". :o

The coin has been posted for months, and there is about as likely a chance of it selling for that asking price as there is that pigs fly. To each his/her own.

Listings like this aren't against any eBay rules that I know of. A bit funny, but not against any rules. (shrug)

=====================

PS -- To answer your question "What's the deal with this seller?":

Well, he has a lot of nice material in his inventory, and he has a WHOLE LOT of coins that are graded but for which the listing states that they are "under graded". There are even several coins in inventory that are details/genuine graded, and the listing says that they disagree with the grading company. In short, the "deal" with this seller is that he's very well known in the numismatic world, and he is of the opinion that only his opinion matters.

So, if he thought it was a proof when he bought it, do you think he paid proof money? If not, are there ethical questions (if I'm not mistaken dealers that are members of certain professional organizations have a duty to treat buyers and sellers with fairness)? I'm not making any judgements, just soliciting opinions. Funny how some thread discussions lead to other discussions.

I don't see how its an eBay violation he clearly states it's their opinion its a proof.

Nick

Nick, I am not at all certain, but suspect that it might be an EBay violation. That is, to include the word "Proof" in the listing title of a certified coin that has not been graded as such. At the very least, I think it could be construed as "keyword spam".

I don't see how its an eBay violation he clearly states it's their opinion its a proof.

Nick

Nick, I am not at all certain, but suspect that it might be an EBay violation. That is, to include the word "Proof" in the listing title of a certified coin that has not been graded as such. At the very least, I think it could be construed as "keyword spam".

Good point, Mark, that's how I happened to come across.

Agreed. seems like keyword spam violation.

Nick

Don't know about any violation but that thing looks like the reverse was wiped with steel wool.

The reverse shows heavy die polish on fields - the mint did it

How many Proof Columbian Half's were minted in 1893?

In 1892 there were 104 proofs are believed to have been struck of the Columbian half dollar, represented by the first 101 coins produced in addition to the 400th, 1492nd, and 1892nd pieces.

I know of only a handful of proof examples for 1893, there maybe more.

The only thing I can say for sure about this seller is that since he feels every coin in his inventory is "undergraded" he expects to get paid for the value of the next grade. He'll list his items as buy-it-now or best offer, but believe me, he's not willing to budge. I've made him offers on a few Morgans & was willing to pay a premium when compared to similar examples which recently sold on Heritage. It's a shame because he does have a lot of beautiful coins.

Don't know about any violation but that thing looks like the reverse was wiped with steel wool.

I don't know how you can determine that from those images. Especially since PCGS saw the coin in hand and determined that it had been cleaned.

I don't know how you can determine that from those images. Especially since PCGS saw the coin in hand and determined that it had been cleaned.

I agree. If pcgs graded the coin as cleaned I'll go with that....

His prices are laughable, plain and simple.

But he has been in business a LONG time and his stock is constantly changing so it is going somewhere. Most of his stuff is very nice and he does have a client base for it.

The major reverse lines are on the fieild and go under the devices. When grading services say 'cleaned;' they do not say where or how. I agree that PCGS has seem the coin in hand, and may have felt that the coin was chemically cleaned too much, or manually cleaned somewhere I can not determine from picture.

NGC and PCGS have both graded 1893 Columbian Expo halves as proof.

proof sold - look at obverse stars and reverse sail lines

Careful, no one likes when you judge the holy "Julian". :o

Yea, no kidding.. I was dragged out into the town square and whipped for speaking out against said dealer.

By the way, the "make better offer" is a mirage.. doesnt exist.

But I have to agree, he does have some nice stuff.

I wondered that after I got to looking at it closer. They were pretty much going in the same direction instead of cleaning hairlines that go everywhere. It's hard to tell by the pics but could be one or the other as far as I can tell.

Keep in mind that the Columbian "proofs" were not struck on a medal press, and the dies received only cursory polishing and proof-finishing.

LeeG has the details in his book draft.

If the coin is a proof then why does he not re submit to PCGS??

If PCGS rejects it then submit it to NGC, if NGC rejects it then it is not a proof. !!

Seriously I think he is delusional for listing this coin as a proof with that price.

I am leaning towards BS, but would submit to NGC for the PL.

Since there is no mint record of any proofs struck, I feel both NGC/PCGS would be reluctant to call another one proof.

I am reminded of a test, of sorts, from long ago, for such coins:

Based on the appearance and credentials of the coin, would its seller still offer it as a Proof, if business strikes were more valuable than Proofs, rather than the other way around? ;)

Julian is one of those dealers that a lot of people respect. However, when I look at his inventory, everything is described as undergraded or undesignated proofs, and his listed prices are often multiples of what the coin is worth. If his coins were really what he said they all were, it would seem like he would resubmit them and get some validation. I don't trust him, and I don't like his methods. Sorry if that steps on some toes, but it seems every couple of months a thread gets posted about this guy.

PCGS says it's cleaned unc. Seller claims it's a proof.

If you believe PCGS it's probably about a $80 coin.

Seller wants $19,950.

Seems to be an Ebay violation advertising it as a proof.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1893-Columbian-Silver-Half-Dollar-PROOF-COIN-PCGS-UNC-Details-/190710169326?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2c67363eee

I agree. If this coin is not a proof, and it's not. Why then is the seller allowed to list it as such? If it was a proof wouldn't it say "PROOF" on the slab? Now he wants to sell it for WHAT!! $19,950!!! I guess if he listed it at $20,000 it would scare everyone away.... doh!