• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your your most treasured coin, and value!

128 posts in this topic

i would say retail hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

$200

an 1881-s in hand an extreme ultra deeply mirrored coin with a really thickly frosted portrait

this is rare for any 1881-s ultra deeply mirrored and ultra deep frosty portrait;

:whee:

No particular reason but at the moment this one is my most treasured coin as for value, who knows, I know I paid way to much for it but just had to have it. Also who photo's pennies well? I would really like a better picture of this one.

Nick

IMG_8108_0542.jpg

IMG_8110_0538.jpg

Nice, never seen one of these!

No particular reason but at the moment this one is my most treasured coin as for value, who knows, I know I paid way to much for it but just had to have it. Also who photo's pennies well? I would really like a better picture of this one.

Nick

IMG_8108_0542.jpg

IMG_8110_0538.jpg

ALLGOLDPIECES047-1.jpgALLGOLDPIECES049-1.jpg

Here's a coin I bought for just above melt with many others of the same series. It's on it's way to be graded, I sent it off today. I think it's a solid 64 with a shot at 65. So, for now this is my most treasured coin.

That's a lovely '14-D Joe!!! :applause: I put the series together about 25 years ago and have been kicking myself for the last 5+ years for selling it in the early 1990's.

I don't have a MOST treasured coin. I've got maybe 6ish that are favorites. FWIW here's my most valuable coin...

DrapedBust_MS61.jpg

Nice Piece (thumbs u

That's a lovely '14-D Joe!!! :applause: I put the series together about 25 years ago and have been kicking myself for the last 5+ years for selling it in the early 1990's.

I don't have a MOST treasured coin. I've got maybe 6ish that are favorites. FWIW here's my most valuable coin...

DrapedBust_MS61.jpg

DrapedBust_MS61.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. I admit that I am very envious.

Carl

Here's a coin I bought for just above melt with many others of the same series. It's on it's way to be graded, I sent it off today. I think it's a solid 64 with a shot at 65. So, for now this is my most treasured coin.

Don’t want to be a kill joy – but I don’t see the 14 - D as MS 64 or 65.

It is very difficult to grade these from a photo, I can see it as Au 58 - MS 62 however what I cannot tell from your photo is how much luster the coin has, it looks a bit subdued. What is going on in the recessed area of the stars and letters ?

This is a rare coin in M5 65 worth around $25,000 .

Please post the grade when it comes in.

Did you get this on EBAY raw ??

DrapedBust_MS61.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. I admit that I am very envious.

Carl

This piece is what dreams are made of. :cloud9:

DrapedBust_MS61.jpg

HOLY !! WOW ....That's gorgeous!!

It is very difficult to grade these from a photo, I can see it as Au 58 - MS 62 however what I cannot tell from your photo is how much luster the coin has, it looks a bit subdued. What is going on in the recessed area of the stars and letters ?

No not e-bay. But I will say this. I have an MS-64 25-D and the 14-D looks better, more luster and the strike is better....Joe

Here's the 25-D purchased from the same seller, same collection....MS-64.

ALLGOLDPIECES066.jpgALLGOLDPIECES067.jpg

It has the same deal going on with the stars & letters as the 14-d I was showing. I don't know everything. Just a guess what the grade is. But I will say this. It does look like it has a shot at 64/65, that's all, just a shot.....But I sure don't feel as I need to defend myself on this guess....Joe

No not e-bay. But I will say this. I have an MS-64 25-D and the 14-D looks better, more luster and the strike is better....Joe

You can get lucky with these but it is something that does not happens often. 4 Years ago I picked a 1913 $2.5 raw on EBAy – for about $400. PCGS graded it MS 64 and Cac certified it. What concerns me is the discoloration in the recessed area of the letters and stars. I have seen many Gold eagles with this “dirty” look graded MS 62 but not higher. It is not unusual to see red spots on these coins because of the copper however from the photo this does not have that look.

If this comes back MS 65 you basically won the lottery .

Are the pictures yours ?? Don’t you have any other pictures of it ?

Did you send it to NGC or PCGS ??

Strike looks good – surfaces look smooth with the exception of what looks like a small nick between the L in Liberty and the star. You also have what looks like some minor rim damage between the right obverse 4 th and 5th star.

I posted picture of my MS 62 1914-D for comparison.

132026.jpg.d65de3f2fd0132f8697875738bb28b51.jpg

Did you send it to NGC or PCGS ??

Strike looks good – surfaces look smooth with the exception of what looks like a small nick between the L in Liberty and the star. You also have what looks like some minor rim damage between the right obverse 4 th and 5th star.

I posted picture of my MS 62 1914-D for comparison.

I think the rim damage your refering to was caused from the strike being off centered. Just a guess.....

1914-D ms-65....Quite a few blemishes....

1914-Dms-65.png

If your coin looked that that I would have guessed MS 64 or 65 without hesitation.

Looking forward to your post on the grade when it comes in .

1914-D ms-65....Quite a few blemishes....

1914-Dms-65.png

If your coin looked that that I would have guessed MS 64 or 65 without hesitation.

Looking forward to your post on the grade when it comes in .

I'll know in a couple of weeks or sooner. Thanks for your help. This is a new series for me and all I know about them is what I read. I have a couple back from grading for comparison, 1 MS-64 quarter eagle and an AU-55 half eagle from this series. I am sure no expert.....Joe

This series is probably the most difficult to grade. A common problem is when putty is used to smooth out blemishes on the coin to make it look like a higher grade. Many puttied coins have found their way into MS holders for both PCGS and NGC. Grading companies are very tight now so this is a less common occurrence for new submissions. I don’t see any evidence of putty on your coin however it is very difficult to see from a straight on photo.

Here's a close up of the imperfection you were referring to on the obverse. From what I read the planchets were not polished before striking and if you look closely you'll notice that the imperfection starts and stops where the strike is. This leads me to believe they were there before it was struck. The deal above the star looks raised to me. Like I said earlier just a guess as I am no expert, but I'm trying to be.....

ALLGOLDPIECES047-2.jpg