• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1914 d help

33 posts in this topic

Before you spend the money for slabbing, show the coin to a trusted dealer or a trusted experienced collector to get an opinion on the coin's authenticity. This date has been heavily faked---usually an added mintmark on a 1914 cent or an altered/tooled 1944-D cent. If you can post a good pic here we can possibily give you some advice on what to do with this coin.

Looks to have already been cleaned. If you use lighter fluid I am sure you will reduce the value of this coin. How ever should you continue do not forget the matches.

My suggestion would be to sell it to your dealer I am sure he has given you a grade estimate. If you plan to keep the coin I would leave it raw until you are ready to sell.

The pic is not the best but I would say EF details.

If you have a membership you will probably spend about $50 with shipping. If not you can include that expense unless you find some one to do it for you in that case they will also charge a fee.

I said raw if you were to keep it as the holder will make a difference in your collection. Also if you trust your dealer (I would get multiple offers) save the grade fees and seller fees and sell it to him.

thanks for the advise, why would you keep it raw? is it bad to get it sent in and graded? i am ready to sell this coin i was wondering how much it would cost to send in and get graded?

Because if it has indeed been cleaned which I think it has it will come back as having been cleaned details only. Which is of no real help collector wise, and you have wasted about $50 or so dollars.

wheat

it was never cleaned... i took it to a coin shop and there was gunk on it to where you couldnt really see much he has a white bottle of coin cleaner and lightly touched the d and the weat ears.. he said it was safe it was like lighter fluid befor that it was in a holder for like 50 years never touched. the flash on the camera put a light color on the coin i think.

That is called cleaned and you can tell on several areas where it was cleaned.

If a dealer did that to your coin he needs to be in another business. It should have been left alone.

wheat

it was never cleaned... i took it to a coin shop and there was gunk on it to where you couldnt really see much he has a white bottle of coin cleaner and lightly touched the d and the weat ears.. he said it was safe it was like lighter fluid befor that it was in a holder for like 50 years never touched. the flash on the camera put a light color on the coin i think.

I posted this in the guess the grade thread about this coin :

VF (maybe xf) Details - Corroded and cleaned, the D looks a little funky however I think the coin is genuine. I don’t think it is worth sending in for a grade however it should be authenticated by a trusted dealer.

The junk on the coin was some type of Environmental damage that caused corrosion. It looks like the coin has some pitting on the lower right reverse near the leaf stems.

There is no way this coin will get anything other than a details grade.

It does need authentication. Details look XF and there appears to be some minor damage as well.

It's still worth several hundred dollars once confirmed genuine.

Good Luck!

That is called cleaned and you can tell on several areas where it was cleaned.

If a dealer did that to your coin he needs to be in another business. It should have been left alone.

wheat

I agree! And Wheat,I don't think your going to get through:(