• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do dealers say this....

30 posts in this topic

I make an offer at a reasonable price, and the reply is "I have more in it than that".

So what??? It is entirely irrelevant. I don't care what they paid, market value is market value.

For the same reason anyone says anything during a negotiation: it's part of the process.

The dealer is telling you that he doesn't like to take a loss on any individual coin regardless of market conditions; therefore, if you want his coin, you have to pay his price.

This is valuable information and extremely relevant to whether or not you and he will consumate a transaction for this coin.

Whether it's welcome information is, of course, another question. ;)

I make an offer at a reasonable price, and the reply is "I have more in it than that".

So what??? It is entirely irrelevant. I don't care what they paid, market value is market value.

It's a negotiation tactic and the chances are that they paid far less than what they are claiming. Although a dealer occasionally gets buried in a coin, you under no obligation to bail out the dealer.

They are trying to play hardball. They are hoping that by telling you they are going to take a loss, you will feel sorry and at least give them what they supposedly have in it. When dealers claim this, I often don't play their game. When a collector says this (for example, in the Marketplace here) I am more likely to trust them.

You are correct on all counts. However, the dealer can ask WHATEVER HE WANTS. It's his/her coin so they have the right to sell it for whatever they want. They may go out of business asking too high prices but that is THEIR problem not yours.

You answer should be "next".

jom

It's a polite way of saying your offer is in fact not reasonable based on current standards, at least from his perspective.

If the seller in fact has "more in it than that", then it is definitely relevant.

This just happened to me on Thursday. A customer offered me greysheet bid on a key nickel in MS-65 with a sticker. I told him that his offer was hundreds of dollars less than what we paid for the coin. He was thankful to receive this information, since it served to inform him that what he thought was "reasonable" was not based on current true market conditions.

Perhaps a cynical reply would be "you need some tax write-offs, I am here to help".

Actually, if you started by saying "Perhaps you need some tax write-offs. . ." (with a friendly smile), you might change the tone of your negotiating session to more friendly than confrontational, which could be useful to you either right then or in the future.

edited to add: James brings up a good point. What sort of dealer you're talking to makes a significant difference. If you're talking to one of those old grumps who always prices his coins too high and never seems to sell anything, one sort of response would be appropriate. On the other hand, if you're talking to a dealer who's known for charging market appropriate prices and fast turnover of his inventory, then another sort of response would be appropriate.

Maybe leading off with a reasonable first offer the dealer figured you for a chump. I know even as kids we never lead off with what we were willing to pay.

It is a polite way of saying your reasonable price is , and they don't want to waste any more time with you. You are going to have to find your market value from somebody else.

It all boils down to whether you believe the dealer or not and what more (if anything) you are willing to pay for such a coin. When a dealer tells me something like this, I MIGHT pay more for the coin, if I think it's worth more and, if it is a dealer with some kind of integrity (in my mind). Otherwise----I'LL PASS.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok

and for what its worth i only have one side of the story and i cant see the coin in hand to determine what is reasonable to my minds eye

but be that as it may

many people, correct or not; have different perceptions of "market value" and its defination

and of course to the seller it is clearly RELEVENT---------- in his mind and that is all that matters

i have yet to meet a coin i could not do without

It means your offer was too low even to make a counter offer. You need to seriously reconsider your offer or pass alltogther.

+1

Webster Dictionary should have your phone number. :grin:

JimBucks- May I ask what the coin was?

I got some advice from another dealer once about this kind of "pickle." He said "Sometimes the Nickel is better than the Dime." Sometimes its just not worth it to wait longer just to make a little more money.

If I have another dealer or a collector want to sell me a coin, I make an offer and if they reply with "I have more in it than that," Here are some question that I ask them. It helps me get a feel for where the seller stands.

-How long have you been trying to sell the coin?

If the seller has had it for a while (over a year or so) they are a bit more likely to take a slight loss. As long as the price doesn't put me in a hole as the buyer.

-What is the least they are willing to take for the coin? Lets say you offer the seller $100.00. The seller says he can't sell it to you for that. Lets say the seller has $360.00 invested in the coin. Say his is willing to part with it for $275.00 and you don't mind paying a little more and you know what the coin is worth; ask if he will take $250.00.

If he says no, oh well. The seller now has an offer to use for comparison. Maybe he will come back to you after three other buyers only go as high as $200.00.

Good luck!

-Dave

They are trying to play hardball. They are hoping that by telling you they are going to take a loss, you will feel sorry and at least give them what they supposedly have in it. When dealers claim this, I often don't play their game. When a collector says this (for example, in the Marketplace here) I am more likely to trust them.

Or the dealer might be honest, and your offer might be too low ;)

Opinions over quality and value vary from one person to the next.

If the dealer is honest then you are receiving valuable information.

I'd change that slightly: If the dealer is honest then you are possibly receiving valuable information.

What the dealer paid could be meaningless because the market could have changed or the dealer could have not know the market when he purchased the coin. Way too many dealers don't know the market well for what they deal in. Or it could be you that does not know the true market and are out of line with your offer.

Because they do?

I am certain that I have invested more in my wife than "market value" would reimburse me.

That doesn't mean if you offer, I can't truthfully state I have more invested, and am hesitant to accept the offer without protest (I have to make myself feel guiltless, after all...).

Because they do?

I am certain that I have invested more in my wife than "market value" would reimburse me.

That doesn't mean if you offer, I can't truthfully state I have more invested, and am hesitant to accept the offer without protest (I have to make myself feel guiltless, after all...).

Along those lines:

Could it not be said that, because a knowledgeable dealer liked a coin at X dollars, that there is, by default, at least a small market for that coin at X dollars? If this savy person was willing to pay X for a coin, might not others be, too, regardless of what wider current market trends say?

Because they do?

Shouldn't this response be on the marketplace?.........................Just sayin', (if you are really trying to unload your wife)

If the dealer is honest then you are receiving valuable information.

I'd change that slightly: If the dealer is honest then you are possibly receiving valuable information.

What the dealer paid could be meaningless because the market could have changed or the dealer could have not know the market when he purchased the coin. Way too many dealers don't know the market well for what they deal in. Or it could be you that does not know the true market and are out of line with your offer.

I find it funny how many potential buyers get upset with a seller that he won't take their "reasonable price." After all, they got that price from another dealer's Blue Sheet, so why won't the seller part with his CAC stickered example for that amount?! It must be that the seller is part of a conspiracy! He's just being mean and deceitful! :ohnoez:

While the historical price that someone paid is irrelevant to the current market value, some collectors use old price guides as a basis for what they think they ought to pay. When I was dealer I had a collector come up to my table with a Whitman Morgan dollar "Red Book." Everyone of the prices in that book were below the Gray Sheet bid prices. Come to find out the book was over three years old, and there had been a spurt in Morgan dollar prices after the book had been published.

There are also premiums for a coins that are REALLY nice for the grade. While a run of the mill or a "C" coin might sell for less, a really nice original coin is often worth a premium.

While the historical price that someone paid is irreverent to the current market value, some collectors use old price guides as a basis for what they think they ought to pay. When I was dealer I had a collector come up to my table with a Whitman Morgan dollar "Red Book." Everyone of the prices in that book were below the Gray Sheet bid prices. Come to find out the book was over three years old, and there had been a spurt in Morgan dollar prices after the book had been published.

There are also premiums for a coins that are REALLY nice for the grade. While a run of the mill or a "C" coin might sell for less, a really nice original coin is often worth a premium.

Not only is it irreverent to the current coin market value (which I wholeheartedly agree with, being a good practicing Catholic that would not lie about a coin),

it is sometimes irrevelent to the buyer and the seller, and on rare occasions, to both.

While the historical price that someone paid is irreverent to the current market value, some collectors use old price guides as a basis for what they think they ought to pay. When I was dealer I had a collector come up to my table with a Whitman Morgan dollar "Red Book." Everyone of the prices in that book were below the Gray Sheet bid prices. Come to find out the book was over three years old, and there had been a spurt in Morgan dollar prices after the book had been published.

Not only is it irreverent to the current coin market value (which I wholeheartedly agree with, being a good practicing Catholic that would not lie about a coin),

it is sometimes irrevelent to the buyer and the seller, and on rare occasions, to both.

I think those people who try to ban revelry with their irrevelent attitudes should lighten up. Why can't the people loosen up every once in a while? Though I must say, a discussion of revelry seems a tad irrelevant to the topic at hand, and for that, I heartily apologize.

Okay I used the wrong word. "Irreverent" should have been "irrelevant." :blush:

That's ok...johncurlis used a made up word...

:whistle:

Actually, you didn't, and that is my point. The right word fits, regardless of reason.

I am cognizant that the intention of my thoughts are frequently misunderstood.

Being irreverent toward the present market and market grading is a good thing.

That's ok...johncurlis used a made up word...

:whistle:

Baloney.

I think those people who try to ban revelry with their irrevelent attitudes should lighten up. Why can't the people loosen up every once in a while? Though I must say, a discussion of revelry seems a tad irrelevant to the topic at hand, and for that, I heartily apologize.

That is not bad, not bad at all.......