• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this color?

24 posts in this topic

It does look odd but has the coin been like that since you bought it? If so, at the very least the color is "stable". (shrug)

I would look out for possible damage at 2 o'clock on the obverse as it is getting rather dark there....

jom

Honestly I'm not a big fan either, my gut is telling me I made a bad choice.

As I acquired more coins over time with toning, I've grown to dislike it.

At least I have next to nothing in it. Thanks for all the opinions,

Scott

Bought it 10 years ago, one of my early raw Morgan purchases. It's been in a Dansco ever since. The color seems odd to me. What do you think?

Scott

I wouldn't say I'm a real big fan of that tarnish. The surface is a little "washed out," but it's still a nice coin. That's not to say it's cleaned and re-tarnished, but what's going on is along those principles. That's why the tarnish just sort of lays there, buzzed out, rather than jumping off that surface at you. Again, I think it's an OK coin, no real problems with it. The tarnish, due to that surface, just isn't as lustrous as it perhaps otherwise could be.

<<From the pics, the surfaces look dead. I'd guess the color was added to help hide this>>

I couldn't agree with you more. A great example of what not to buy.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that unless you've been hanging around these forums too long.

My first reaction on opening the thread "That looks suspicious." I'm not a fan from those pictures, whether its genuine or assisted its hard to tell.

It's most likely natural, but the pictures certainly do not do it justice.

<<It's most likely natural, but the pictures certainly do not do it justice.>>

It's how the coin looks in hand, it's not a pretty example.

No big deal. Selling it for bullion (if it's low grade) might actually make you money. Put the dough toward a better example.

jom

<<It's most likely natural, but the pictures certainly do not do it justice.>>

It's how the coin looks in hand, it's not a pretty example.

Not pretty and not original are two different things, of course. This is an 1897-P, which isn't usually found with bright luster. Moderate to heavy satin is typical of this issue. The color itself seems natural in appearance, based on bad pictures. I reserve final judgements for in-person examination.