• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading??

16 posts in this topic

To All,

I am curious; Do people in general dislike trading or is there another reason? Maybe it is a comfort level that is just not there.

I recently put up a post for trading and I have had no responses. I am not looking to make any money just a fair and even trade. I hope someone will chime in and maybe give me some insight as to what if anything, I am doing wrong or maybe what I am asking for in trade is just something that people are hanging onto.

I have essentially no use for trading. When one requests a trade they are not only requiring that someone else wants what they have listed, but also requiring that the person in question has material to trade back that is of interest. This is far more difficult to accomplish than a simple sale.

I think it is best to have "for sale or trade" post. Someone might be interested in what you got but does not have the items that you need. They can give you cash and you can then go purchase the items you wanted to start with.

I have essentially no use for trading. When one requests a trade they are not only requiring that someone else wants what they have listed, but also requiring that the person in question has material to trade back that is of interest. This is far more difficult to accomplish than a simple sale.

Yup. Also, the trade has to involve two items of equal or comparable value unless cash is added to the lesser valued item to make the trade fair to both parties. That's why money is so important to a working economy because bartering is so unwieldy.

I agree with the sale or trade comment. I also agree that there is no problem with just trading. I not only will trade coins but I trade other things I have also. I just traded a motorcycle for a boat, fixing the boat up and gonna trade it again. Nothing wrong with bartering provided each individual is statisfied with the trade regardless of equal value. People value things they want differently than others.

To All,

I am curious; Do people in general dislike trading or is there another reason? Maybe it is a comfort level that is just not there.

I recently put up a post for trading and I have had no responses. I am not looking to make any money just a fair and even trade. I hope someone will chime in and maybe give me some insight as to what if anything, I am doing wrong or maybe what I am asking for in trade is just something that people are hanging onto.

I trade coins frequently, both as a collector and in the store I work for. But of course, considerable luck is involved in both having coins that someone wants and simultaneously wanting the coins that same somebody has available.

Trading is good in principle. The problem is finding people who have what I want and want what I have. Its much easier to trade them electronic credits (aka cash), and have them send me the coin.

I'm not opposed to the concept of trading, but it is very hard to do it between collectors. Both parties have to have something that each one wants, and both of them have to place similar values on what they want to trade. Sometimes you also have to deal with collector sentiment, which is not worth anything in the marketplace.

Trading with a dealer can be far more fruitful, and I have made some very advantageous trades with dealers over the years. The thing that you have to remember is that it is almost always his retail price against your wholesale value. That is not always a bad thing if the item you are trading has gone up in value since you bought it. It fact it can be a very good thing for you because you can avoid paying income taxes on the item because you are trading "like assets."

I've gotten some very nice coins through trades with dealers. The main complication is that it often takes more time to complete the transaction than a straight cash deal. The drawback to that is that such a deal usually has be made at the dealers shop or at an inactive or somewhat inactive show.

This is my thinking concerning TRADES----the only time that I would be interested in a trade is, if I were UPGRADING. That would be the only time that I would have something of significant value to trade.

I suppose that there have been times, when I have liquidated certain different unwanted coins, to HELP pay for or defray the costs of another purchase BUT, in both instances, a significant add'l cash sum would have been required, as well.

Also, The chances of me getting a decent price for my items from the SAME person that I am buying from are very SLIM. IMHO. I, generally, have to shop items around for the best price, when I make a sale to generate needed cash for something else.

This scenario ALMOST happened to me, though, ONCE at a coin show----I had a PQ MS 63 and a dealer (with whom I was familiar) had a MS 64+ of that SAME issue. Unbelievably, he offered me a good cash value for my MS 63, so all I had to do was pay him the balance for the MS 64+. Ultimately, I didn't cut the deal with him, as I decided, that his MS 64+ was over-graded and was a little too expensive with respect to what I believed that it was really worth. It had been dipped and there were too many abrasions for my liking. I didn't want to get rid of my 63 AND have to pay a large sum for a coin that I didn't really think was solid for the grade. We DID come close, though, to making this deal and I HAD purchased from him, in the past, and I MAY, also purchase from him again in the future---only time will tell, if he ever gets something that I really need or want, again.

So, in conclusion, trades are possible just NOT very probable, at least, when dealing with the stuff that I am into. JMO.

I agree with the sale or trade comment. I also agree that there is no problem with just trading. I not only will trade coins but I trade other things I have also. I just traded a motorcycle for a boat, fixing the boat up and gonna trade it again. Nothing wrong with bartering provided each individual is statisfied with the trade regardless of equal value. People value things they want differently than others.

+1

IMO, trading works great under certain circumstances. I've traded a roll of junk silver pre-1965 dimes for 5 BU RAW Morgan Dollars once; and I've traded guns for coins and visversa.

It can be hard and even impossible to trade a coin for a coin sometimes. One person might be interested in what you have, but they only want to "give up" cash.

Also, from my experiences, it is MUCH easier if you post what you would like to trade for, instead of just saying "Trade for something of equal value."

One person could say they have "item X" which they consider is of equal value, but you might not think it is.

-Dave

I have traded over $4,000 in coins in the last two month. With a few Buds in the club that had coins I could use and that wanted coins I had. With the sets wanted that are now empty the trading is over till I get some more of the type coins they collect or run into someone that wants other coins still sitting on my trade page.

The trades almost never quite hit exact even but close enough. Panda Man -- The hard part you were trying to accomplish is finding someone that collects Pandas. That would be as hard as I found trying to trade Canada coins. There just aren't many collectors wanting those coins. The Canadian coins I have, have been listed for 2 years and will probably be there 2 more.

Good luck in your future trades.

Rick

PS. Trade sets listed --- click red signature line below!!! :)

Human nature is to think that if you accept someones offer and enter into a trade agreement, somehow you're the one who will eventually end up getting screwed.