• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion

23 posts in this topic

I was looking at stuff on ebay with my daughter, I let her pick one for me, she likes the indian heads, seller said AU, I get the coin, and it looks like a video game token. its so shiny it looks like a proof, has some toning, but the edge is brown like a regular brown cent. probably cleaned. what do you experts have to say?

130737.jpg.af29cb0f46ae81d10eb6b52603d9c3bc.jpg

130740.jpg.0a59c05f8efbe18ee4a8af8c01f20b51.jpg

It's Counterfeit---date is askew for one thing (it's not centered). Surfaces looks and sound very STRANGE. It doesn't have the right 'color', either.

Agreed. Not a very good one either.

looks like it has been copper plated

makes an AU or lower MS brown look RED GEM

if you do not know what they are supposed to look like

It's either a counterfeit or highly polished, worth $1 at most. If you didn't pay too much more than that, and your daughter likes it, keep it and maker her happy.

I guess I'm missing something because I don't see the counterfeit part, but it has definitely been harshly cleaned and polished. The toning you see is not unusual on a piece that has been cleaned like this. It is a normal reaction for bronze that has had it protective patina removed and exposed to the air.

As it is the coin has very little value. I'd say less than a dollar if it is genuine. If you can return it, I'd do so.

Here is a Proof Indian cent from the same general era. You can use this to compare the placement of the design devices for counterfeit detection.

1896ProofCentO-1.jpg1896ProofCentR-1.jpg

I guess I'm missing something because I don't see the counterfeit part, but it has definitely been harshly cleaned and polished.

It doesn't look fake to me, either. Everything's in the right place, but it's harshly polished.

I didn't see the luster when I got it, made me wonder, thanks again, I think the counterfeit part comes from my original pic it was rotated to about 2 o'clock

It looks real to me. It also looks highly polished. This is not the type of coin you would want to spend any real money on to have in your collection.

He had no problem, offered to pay return shipping. I said I would pay that, I would have been happy with just refunding purchase price, Shipping is minimal to have it in hand

It looked like a new token at CECheese, polished, not lustrous like my ms lincolns. except fot the edge, it was tarnished. how lazy to go through the motions and not do the edge