• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This seems suspicious

186 posts in this topic

For what it's worth, while I have not been impressed with his way of trying to do business, I believe Dennis.

And this reinforces my thoughts on how JimBucks took liberties with his accusations.

I find the above post to be a fairly sufficient reply to all of the people throwing stones. I'm not saying that I would be the first collector to go out on a limb and purchase some high dollar coin, but I do think the above post is more work than most scammers would do if in this same situation.

Again, I have not done any business with Dennis Mugno, nor do I plan to do so in the near future, but I at least hope the accusatory tone of some people's posts settles down a bit.

okay i was told about this post from a potential customer just now on the phone whiling we in the middle of discussing a purchase.

I know my post on the moneymarket forum looks specious, but please hear me out. I am a salesman at Liberty Gallery, located in NY. Our address is 2050 sunrise hwy, massapequa park, 11762. We aren't afraid to show that information.

One of the first posts in this thread said they called the office, and I know exactly what happened. Me nor the 2 managers were here, and there was a new guy who just started 2 days ago who only picks up the phone at the secretary's desk. The female voice hes talking about is another new saleswoman we hired about a month ago(michelle). Between the both of them, they have no clue how to handle an incoming call, nor do they know what theyre talking about.

Michelle, who you saw copy my exact post, (without my consent), thought it would be a good idea to spam all the coin collector forums with my post. If you look at the dates when she posted them they are all after mine and all in HER name. I put about 3 hours of work into that list that has now been deleted, due to her stupidity.

My plan was to find 1 coin collector message board, and see if I could find anyone interested in our inventory. I AM NOT A CON-ARTIST. I run our eBay account as well, and you can check our feedback. userid: liberygallerycoins (without the T, i know iam an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and miss-typed it).

We are a legit business that has sold thousands of coins in the past year alone. Like I said we offer 30-day refunds on all purchases. If you prefer using a credit card, we have no problem with that. Most of our first time clients do use a cc, because they can easily chargeback the purchase.

Now, towards the post where I (dennis mugno) was trying to buy a bank account # to open a paypal account, if you look at the date, that was back in 2008. 4 year ago... I remember having a problem with my paypal account that was linked to my own bank account where it got limited for a month or so due to some bullcrap on ebay where i sold something, sent it out, and the buyer tried to say i never sent it, and tried scamming me. So I had to look for another way to open a paypal account for my ebay store i was running back then, without having to actually open up a new back account since my only one was linked to the limited paypal account.

Now that is completely irrelevant to what is going on now with my ebay/paypal account. We are verified and have positive feedbacks from buyers and sellers. This is all a huge misunderstanding and I completely agree that my post looked like a con, considering the other factors; with my competitor sales associate trying to copy my idea so she could make sales and there make more commission. Michelle is not in the office right now as I type this, but trust me, I will make her take all those other posts down. I would like to (if you guys&ladies give me a chance) show this and only this collector's forum that I am a legit seller, and show that we do run a completely honest operation out of an office that I addressed above.

I never should have given Michelle the link to my posting, I had no idea she was going to try and spam other forums. I've been apart of forum communities before, thats not the way to earn the trust of the specific forum's members.

All I wanted to do was get involved in this forum with other collectors, and try to find a way to get coins they've been looking for, and we currently have. So far Ive had 4-5 interested buyers that ive kept in contact with, but because of this post most of them have backed off, and i really dont blame them.

Please, not only the moderators, but to the members of this forum, give me a 2nd chance. I will not let any of you down, if we make a deal, you WILL get that coin at the price we AGREED on. I will make sure every collector is 100% satisfied with their coins we sell them.

I just wanted to let you guys see my side of this misled confusion.

Thank you for your time,

Sincerely,

Dennis Mugno

Good Evening Mr. Mugno.

I am the person that placed the phone call.

Your explanation is not without logic.

Heaven knows the scenario you have presented is not the first time it has happened to a company.

Please note that I ended my Post by stating "...draw your own unbiased conclusions...". This was not in jest or without a hidden meaning.

You have the right to have your company re-evaluated in light of your Post.

But (there is always a "but"), it would be very helpful to have an explanation of the

entity listed as tucows.com.co. and its relation to your firm, and the establishment of the website on 31 May 2012, which is now disabled thru Servers in Canada.

I have already found out about the Pittsburg routing, so that is a mute point.

In closing, welcome. Your firm will either be found to be a welcome addition, or something will occur that will lead to its acceptance demise if your firm proves to not be acting in an honorable manner.

The direction, I think is yours to take.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

This seems to be a problem in todays society, people are afraid to call a duck, a duck, and when somebody else says, look at that duck, everybody says prove it. in the end jimbucks was right, and deserves the credit for pointing that out, he had a gut feeling, based on inconsistencies in the post, enough other people had the same gut feeling, or it would not have been checked into. just because he is vocal, does not mean to discount everything he says, as I have stated before, I agree with alot of what he says, I don't automatically excuse everything around me because, thats the way its always been done, or thats just the way it is. Some of you younger people don't know any different, so thats a valid excuse, but jim is older as am I, and have seen many changes in society, we don't just accept everything at face value. There may be a lesson to be learned here, As Ronald Reagan said "Trust, but verify" JIM, KEEP ON DOING WHAT YOU DO!

I'm no spring chicken (being 58 years old), but I know something about ducks.

It's fine to publicly call a duck, a duck, even without proof. Because if you are mistaken, there is no harm done to the duck. However, without proof, it's not fine, either legally or ethically, to publicly label someone a crook. Because if you are wrong, that person could be seriously harmed.

In this case, the same result would likely have occurred if everyone had dealt with facts, rather than accusations based upon suspicions.

If it smells bad, looks bad, sounds bad, and seems bad...Its probably bad..

Jimbucks was ultimately right. Regardless of how he phrases his posts, its not up to him for you to decide to agree with his methods or not. My uncle who was an Attorney once said "the law might not see this act as illegal, but I know a criminal act when I see one." JImbucks noticed that many things that did not sit right with him. He skipped over the beans and went right to the steak by calling the guy out.

Mark, I can see your point and I, to an extent, agree. In this world, word of mouth travels. And yes, in some but few, cases one bad opinion can harshly damage an individuals reputation.

Just like with eBay. I could have 100 positive seller FBs. But then one person who is clueless buys 3 of my items and leaves negative FB for all three. That would damage my seller performace and some eBayers may skip over my listings without even checking my 12 month FB history because of one persons arrogance.

IMHO, Jimbucks was correct, but caution should used in future situations like this. Maybe a PM to a forum ADMIN asking to "check up" on a certain member because something seems fishy. no harm in that right?

-Dave

This seems to be a problem in todays society, people are afraid to call a duck, a duck, and when somebody else says, look at that duck, everybody says prove it. in the end jimbucks was right, and deserves the credit for pointing that out, he had a gut feeling, based on inconsistencies in the post, enough other people had the same gut feeling, or it would not have been checked into. just because he is vocal, does not mean to discount everything he says, as I have stated before, I agree with alot of what he says, I don't automatically excuse everything around me because, thats the way its always been done, or thats just the way it is. Some of you younger people don't know any different, so thats a valid excuse, but jim is older as am I, and have seen many changes in society, we don't just accept everything at face value. There may be a lesson to be learned here, As Ronald Reagan said "Trust, but verify" JIM, KEEP ON DOING WHAT YOU DO!

I'm no spring chicken (being 58 years old), but I know something about ducks.

It's fine to publicly call a duck, a duck, even without proof. Because if you are mistaken, there is no harm done to the duck. However, without proof, it's not fine, either legally or ethically, to publicly label someone a crook. Because if you are wrong, that person could be seriously harmed.

In this case, the same result would likely have occurred if everyone had dealt with facts, rather than accusations based upon suspicions.

If it smells bad, looks bad, sounds bad, and seems bad...Its probably bad..

Jimbucks was ultimately right. Regardless of how he phrases his posts, its not up to him for you to decide to agree with his methods or not. My uncle who was an Attorney once said "the law might not see this act as illegal, but I know a criminal act when I see one." JImbucks noticed that many things that did not sit right with him. He skipped over the beans and went right to the steak by calling the guy out.

Mark, I can see your point and I, to an extent, agree. In this world, word of mouth travels. And yes, in some but few, cases one bad opinion can harshly damage an individuals reputation.

Just like with eBay. I could have 100 positive seller FBs. But then one person who is clueless buys 3 of my items and leaves negative FB for all three. That would damage my seller performace and some eBayers may skip over my listings without even checking my 12 month FB history because of one persons arrogance.

IMHO, Jimbucks was correct, but caution should used in future situations like this. Maybe a PM to a forum ADMIN asking to "check up" on a certain member because something seems fishy. no harm in that right?

-Dave

Dave, I must disagree with your opinion that JimBucks was "ultimately right". Based on the post by the seller, I do not believe that he is a "crook", that he was or is trying to rip anyone off or that it was accurate or fair or right for JimBucks to make reference to "hot" coins. Yes, he was "right" to be suspicious, but went too far and ended up being "wrong".

Dj Coins, if I may be so rude as to suggest you take it a step further and leave no doubt as to whether you run a legit operation or not, not because I think you need to or not, but because the misunderstanding now exists whether warranted or not, I would post a picture of your storefronts internal to leave no doubt you are legit. I would also write your screenname here on a piece of paper that shows in the pic. Again not because I would need it, but that is what I would do if I was involved in such a misunderstanding. That should leave no doubt and Im sure youd be able to reinstate your sales list with such proof.

okay i was told about this post from a potential customer just now on the phone whiling we in the middle of discussing a purchase.

I know my post on the moneymarket forum looks specious, but please hear me out. I am a salesman at Liberty Gallery, located in NY. Our address is 2050 sunrise hwy, massapequa park, 11762. We aren't afraid to show that information.

One of the first posts in this thread said they called the office, and I know exactly what happened. Me nor the 2 managers were here, and there was a new guy who just started 2 days ago who only picks up the phone at the secretary's desk. The female voice hes talking about is another new saleswoman we hired about a month ago(michelle). Between the both of them, they have no clue how to handle an incoming call, nor do they know what theyre talking about.

Michelle, who you saw copy my exact post, (without my consent), thought it would be a good idea to spam all the coin collector forums with my post. If you look at the dates when she posted them they are all after mine and all in HER name. I put about 3 hours of work into that list that has now been deleted, due to her stupidity.

My plan was to find 1 coin collector message board, and see if I could find anyone interested in our inventory. I AM NOT A CON-ARTIST. I run our eBay account as well, and you can check our feedback. userid: liberygallerycoins (without the T, i know iam an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and miss-typed it).

We are a legit business that has sold thousands of coins in the past year alone. Like I said we offer 30-day refunds on all purchases. If you prefer using a credit card, we have no problem with that. Most of our first time clients do use a cc, because they can easily chargeback the purchase.

Now, towards the post where I (dennis mugno) was trying to buy a bank account # to open a paypal account, if you look at the date, that was back in 2008. 4 year ago... I remember having a problem with my paypal account that was linked to my own bank account where it got limited for a month or so due to some bullcrap on ebay where i sold something, sent it out, and the buyer tried to say i never sent it, and tried scamming me. So I had to look for another way to open a paypal account for my ebay store i was running back then, without having to actually open up a new back account since my only one was linked to the limited paypal account.

Now that is completely irrelevant to what is going on now with my ebay/paypal account. We are verified and have positive feedbacks from buyers and sellers. This is all a huge misunderstanding and I completely agree that my post looked like a con, considering the other factors; with my competitor sales associate trying to copy my idea so she could make sales and there make more commission. Michelle is not in the office right now as I type this, but trust me, I will make her take all those other posts down. I would like to (if you guys&ladies give me a chance) show this and only this collector's forum that I am a legit seller, and show that we do run a completely honest operation out of an office that I addressed above.

I never should have given Michelle the link to my posting, I had no idea she was going to try and spam other forums. I've been apart of forum communities before, thats not the way to earn the trust of the specific forum's members.

All I wanted to do was get involved in this forum with other collectors, and try to find a way to get coins they've been looking for, and we currently have. So far Ive had 4-5 interested buyers that ive kept in contact with, but because of this post most of them have backed off, and i really dont blame them.

Please, not only the moderators, but to the members of this forum, give me a 2nd chance. I will not let any of you down, if we make a deal, you WILL get that coin at the price we AGREED on. I will make sure every collector is 100% satisfied with their coins we sell them.

I just wanted to let you guys see my side of this misled confusion.

Thank you for your time,

Sincerely,

Dennis Mugno

:taptaptap: As much as it sounds like a legit apology..I am having trouble buying it.

1- "Michelle, who you saw copy my exact post, (without my consent)"

which you then added:

2- "I never should have given Michelle the link to my posting, I had no idea she was going to try and spam other forums."

Which is it? Did "Michelle" sneak a peak at your post or did you show it to her?

3- "there was a new guy who just started 2 days ago who only picks up the phone at the secretary's desk"

4- " The female voice hes talking about is another new saleswoman we hired about a month ago(michelle). Between the both of them, they have no clue how to handle an incoming call, nor do they know what theyre talking about."

:facepalm: BS. How do you have sales people who can't handle incoming SALES CALLS?! Shes been working for you for a month and yet she doesn't possess the proper knowledge to take phone orders or ask for basic info so someone who is qualified can get back to them?

5- I googled the address and Liberty Gallery, Liberty Coin(s) and a couple other combos of the name nothing came up. I looked at a website which has listings by state of coin dealers, galleries and auction houses. All that came up on that road was: Collectors Corner Coins & Jewelry, 400 Sunrise Hwy, Massapequa Park, NY 11762.

6- "My plan was to find 1 coin collector message board, and see if I could find anyone interested in our inventory. I AM NOT A CON-ARTIST. I run our eBay account as well, and you can check our feedback. userid: liberygallerycoins (without the T, i know iam an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and miss-typed it)."

IMHO, your plan was to throw a dart at a Google Search of Coin Collector Forums and see what would happen.

As another member here stated, you have several Ebay accts. Also, I searched that eBay member ID on Ebay and nothing came up. YES I even tried it with the proper/correct spelling.

You can also change your eBay ID very easily, so I don't see why you would not correct your error.

:mad:I wish I could thow an explitive in here when I say "you are full of _-_-_-_"

Give up and move ATS. The critics are SO MUCH NICER! :/

-Dave

Perhaps next time I will be quiet, and a new post will go up about how many people got ripped-off for untold amounts and someone on this forum should have been astute enough to identify "suspicious" activity and invoke their right to voice their opinion and encourage additional investigation.

Scams appear to be more and more prevalent these days, and those that are suspicious deserve to be investigated.

Next time it may be more productive to do what I simply suggest, investigate, rather than take the lazy man's approach and criticize me for my opinions. Those who did investigate -- congratulations -- it wasn't that difficult to sniff this out.

Thank You.

Perhaps next time I will be quiet, and a new post will go up about how many people got ripped-off for untold amounts and someone on this forum should have been astute enough to identify "suspicious" activity and invoke their right to voice their opinion and encourage additional investigation.

Scams appear to be more and more prevalent these days, and those that are suspicious deserve to be investigated.

Next time it may be more productive to do what I simply suggest, investigate, rather than take the lazy man's approach and criticize me for my opinions. Those who did investigate -- congratulations -- it wasn't that difficult to sniff this out.

Thank You.

I and others have pointed out suspicious coins and/or sellers on a number of occasions. And without making reference to things such as "crooks", "coward" or "hot" coins.

If you are of the opinion that I took a lazy man's approach in this instance, so be it.

Thank You.

Good Eevening, Mr. Bucks.

Your original presentation of the issue is certainly a service to the members. I don't question your intent. I do not and did not view your Post in the vein of Presidential election cannon fodder....well, truth be told, not completely.

I have not detected a call by the members for you to be quiet (as most would wish in a Presidential race).

Rather it is a reasonable request being proffered by some members to consider less titillating descriptions of the suspicion by the choice of words used.

Granted, absent DNA and poetry inspired declarations of innocence, we would be less entertained, but (blah,blah), a person would be more inclined to consider the seriousness of your call to arms, if the choice or words were less Pattonesque, and slightly more Jeffersonian.

Then again, there is our current VP....but (blah, blah) that is another story.

Sincerely,

John

So , an employee sets up an ebay account for a place he works at, not the owner, and names it after the company, (with a mis-spelling), and the mgrs and anybody with any experience leave a bunch of inexperienced people to run the shop. and still no explanation for the coin sold and resold on craigs list. just a few inconsistencies. Any of you business owners on this forum operate your businesses this way? Just wondering.

Thank You.

I and others have pointed out suspicious coins and/or sellers on a number of occasions. And without making reference to things such as "crooks", "coward" or "hot" coins.

If you are of the opinion that I took a lazy man's approach in this instance, so be it.

OK. My opinion is my opinion, and in this instance appears to be accurate.

Let's move on.

Thank You.

So , an employee sets up an ebay account for a place he works at, not the owner, and names it after the company, (with a mis-spelling), and the mgrs and anybody with any experience leave a bunch of inexperienced people to run the shop. and still no explanation for the coin sold and resold on craigs list. just a few inconsistencies. Any of you business owners on this forum operate your businesses this way? Just wondering.

Ummm,

I think my boss does, but I am not sure, because I can't find him. He left some days ago cursing about my choice of words in a draft.

Since then, everybody around here keeps answering the phone while laughing.....

just checkin, aparently, from what I'm reading here that is the status-quo in the numismatic industry. Having a background in other types of retail establishments I'm not familiar with that type of managerial technique. I only used to work half days, read: 12+ hrs. but I guess if it works for you.......................................

a think a picture or pictures of coins and a piece of paper with todays date, etc would help

this keeps getting better and better, if you really want a hostage note, how about todays news paper, and a broken slab mailed to us to show how serious you are

Your wishes are my command. When I get in the office tomorrow I will post a picture of our office and some of ours coins with tomorrow's newspaper or something.

As for this website from Canada or something, I dont have a clue what your talking about with that, I dont handle our website..

To the post saying the Michelle thing didn't make sense: I told her what I was doing, she said "cool, can I see what you posted?", and I messaged her the link. As for her telling him to hang up in the background, the only thing I can think of since I havent spoken to her yet, is that she didn't want the new kid to mess anything up with a potential client... Then again I dont know why she would tell him to hang up, honestly, I have no idea what the heck she was thinking. Whomever posted that call-convo, thank you. Now I have an idea of how some of the employees here treat our potential customers, I'm telling the boss about this tomorrow. Obviously she didn't want to deal with whoever was on the phone, because she knew we weren't there. Wow this is frustrating me now.

And yes, we (the managers) do go out for lunch together once and a while and leave the 2-3 salesmen with their duties, or they can go out and get lunch themselves too. This was when one of the posters called. This employee thats currently at the secretaries desk, is here for a week evaluation, so far he has lied to us, said he had experience in sales and specifically the sales of gold&silver coins, and that he had his own client book.. But he didn't and has no clue how to sell on the phone, so hes going to finish the week up front take care of doing some paper work, patch calls into the appropriate offices and such, and be told that we dont need him on friday.

Yes I just started using my personal eBay account to sell as a request by me to my boss to start trying to sell online instead of just cold dialing, it had a different name before hand obviously so I had to change it... my eBay feedback - yes I know most are from us buying coins, because we do buy some of our inventory from eBay that we resell on the phones, but I have made 4 sales and so far got 1 positive feedback from them, waiting for the other 3 to leave them, they already got their coins. And I will admit, I have taken photos of the same coin from a different auction for a couple of the sales.. Either my boss who has the key to the vault at all times wasnt in for me to take the pictures or I was at home listing the coin. But its always the exact same grader,grade, & mint as the coin we are selling.

I feel like im on a trial.. its like every sentence is being completely over-analyzed, I tried to make a summary of what had happened and now the more I defend myself the more you guys are trying to make me look like a conman. I understand you dont want scammers trying to sell on your message boards, but I WILL prove to everyone that Liberty Gallery is a real business, and to the OP, I have nothing against you at all... It is mostly my fault for letting michelle spam other websites, its my fault letting this under experienced kid take incoming calls from potential new clients without us being there and making sure hes not just blowing them off.

Again, I thank you guys for letting me see a few things differently about my co-workers, And how they act when management isn't around.

I will post pictures tomorrow. around 3-4pm eastern.

In my opinion it's not worth the legal risk to use the words the OP used.

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard.

Good Evening again, Mr. Bucks,

At the risk of causing a Patton charge (maybe justified), it may actually not be funny, given some rulings from the bench.

I do believe you have also (heard) read funnier in your lifetime.

Lets not be to VPish with comments of your life experience......

In my opinion it's not worth the legal risk to use the words the OP used.

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard.

In that case, you need to get out more. And apparently, you haven't yet been sued for libel.

It seems that at least 30% of the women that live on Long Island are named Michelle.. They story is so goofy it has to be true.

MJ

It seems that at least 30% of the women that live on Long Island are named Michelle.. They story is so goofy it has to be true.

MJ

I've also heard that many people who live on LI are retarded. Bring on a class action suit.

Good Evening again.

I have only one observation (well, maybe a few).

The "defense" is not causing a "conman" response from members.

The lack of substantial information, that members of the Board have come to expect, is.

I would also comment that a number of members have supported your right to prove the worth, integrity and honor of you and your firm.

Maybe some substantial boss facetime on the Boards would be helpful in this situation.

Defense of your firm/boss, which of course is to be admired, does not mean you have to attack your own integrity via bossitis.

It has the appearence of Pluto v. Tracy.

Good Evening again.

I have only one observation (well, maybe a few).

The "defense" is not causing a "conman" response from members.

The lack of substantial information, that members of the Board have come to expect, is.

I would also comment that a number of members have supported your right to prove the worth, integrity and honor of you and your firm.

Maybe some substantial boss facetime on the Boards would be helpful in this situation.

Defense of your firm/boss, which of course is to be admired, does not mean you have to attack your own integrity via bossitis.

It has the appearence of Pluto v. Tracy.

Not exactly sure what you mean, but for lapse of information (I am retarded on the implied intellect required to fully absorb your post) I will for now agree with you.

Thank You.