• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you puposely take a loss for something you want worse?

61 posts in this topic

I'm not in a coin situation but I thought I would post the question anyway. Would you or have you puposely taken a finacial loss on a coin or peticular item to get something you wanted more?

I understand your question to be would I (or anyone else) sell one coin for a loss in order to buy another one.

My answer is yes, if it was the only option I had available and I wanted another coin badly enough.

Recently, I have started buying a few coins again. I am prioritizing those that I consider the most difficult to get to complete my world coin sets as opposed to their "investment" prospects. But I admit that these are all modest purchases. (I have only ever bought three coins for which I paid $1000 or more, though I have owned many that I sold for more.)

If there is a coin I want and I need to free up capital, I don't mind taking a loss on a coin. Usually, said loss does not amount to more than 15% of my original cost to buy the coin. Selling at a discount makes for a quick sale, a happy customer, and a happy me, as it gives me $$$ to buy something else.

I've done it, too. Never lost more than 10 %, though. Many other times, I've MADE MORE money, so it either balances or else keeps you ahead. But the answer to the original question is YES. I DON'T recommend making a habit of it, though.

No! Never!

Well, actually, yes. Been there, done that. Bought a coin from a dealer and, just a few months later, saw a higher grade (both were same TPGS and same year/type of EAC) that I wanted. I took ~$500+ loss (give or take a little from memory) in order to cycle the rest of the cash back into the new one (went from 4 figures to 5 figures).

yep! Sometimes you get bored with something and find something new you like. I've sold some bullion, etc for less than what I paid for due to spot price to get a numismatic item that i was happy with

I'm not in a coin situation but I thought I would post the question anyway. Would you or have you puposely taken a finacial loss on a coin or peticular item to get something you wanted more?

Without reading any other response, I can simply state that I've done that numerous times.

So, heck yeah I would!!!!!!

(If I had to.)

Well it's good to know that it's pretty unanimous. My situation is not numismatic related. I have a custom motorcycle that is worth about $8000 and I'm wanting to trade it for a ski boat. I don't ride the bike much, it's not built for 2 people, and I already have another bike that I'm keeping. I've had offers on 2 boats already and both have a value of about $5000. They are nice boats, older models, but I'm thinking of trading and taking a loss on the bike. Thanks for all ya'lls comments.

Sure, I'd do it.

If you have lost interest in something, and it does not please you any more, why not let it go, even at a loss? Sometimes taking a loss an putting the proceeds into something with better prospects makes a lot of sense. If something appears to have a brighter future than the loser of an item you have, it makes sense to get the money out of the "dead" investment and put it into something better.

Don't do it Bobby !!!!!!! "A boat is a hole in the water that you continue to throw money into" Famous words from my buddy who bought one and discovered how true it was :) Just kidding but a heads up just the same. Enjoy while you can because nothing is guaranteed in life.

Well it's good to know that it's pretty unanimous. My situation is not numismatic related. I have a custom motorcycle that is worth about $8000 and I'm wanting to trade it for a ski boat. I don't ride the bike much, it's not built for 2 people, and I already have another bike that I'm keeping. I've had offers on 2 boats already and both have a value of about $5000. They are nice boats, older models, but I'm thinking of trading and taking a loss on the bike. Thanks for all ya'lls comments.

After having owned several boats in my lifetime, I found that the two happiest days of my life were when I bought a boat and when I sold the boat.

wheat

After having owned several boats in my lifetime, I found that the two happiest days of my life were when I bought a boat and when I sold the boat.

wheat

That's what I'm worried about! lol

if its a trade, maybe they will throw in some other stuff to sweeten the deal, life jackets, ski's, couple kegs, etc
That would be good. That stuff adds up also.

if its a trade, maybe they will throw in some other stuff to sweeten the deal, life jackets, ski's, couple kegs, etc

Unless they are getting another boat, they won't need them. It's always the little things that cost the most.....don't even get me started on what the real cost of golf is

Unless they are getting another boat, they won't need them. It's always the little things that cost the most.....don't even get me started on what the real cost of golf is

I know, I have a nice set of Ping G-15's. Were'nt cheap. lol