• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Feld’s Coin Collecting Tips

19 posts in this topic

GREAT LIST MARK!

If I could humbly add one it would be to add to #15:

If you are faced with a coin that is truly special and/or virtually irreplaceable, it may be ok to stretch rather than facing non-buyers remorse.

The advice has been on Mark's website for several years:

http://www.markfeldcoins.com/collecting_tips.html

and posted on various coin forums.

It's a great read and worth revisiting regularly.

I thought I had already read them

Well, read them again (and eat your Wheaties, too). They are good for you! :D

I go by simple rules, buy the best coin you can afford for the grade and learn your series inside n out. Learn what is cleaned and what is not. Know what market acceptable toning is and what is not. Great list Mark!

I like his

16 and 17 collecting tips..

16. Don’t talk yourself into buying a coin. If something about it bothers you now, there is an excellent chance it will bother you as much or more later.

17. Don’t be lulled or suckered into a false/unrealistic sense of security by the strength of many areas of the market that we have experienced for several years now. There are good markets, and, while some current participants might not have experienced them yet, there are bad markets too – I promise.

I think when Collector's Society gets a Newbie collector, we direct the collector to this mandatory reading.

The collector gets great advise and acquaintance to a reputable dealer in the process.

Hey, that's a ^^

OP