• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you were in my position, what would you ask for this coin?

87 posts in this topic

You win some you lose some.

When I get a bargain I look at it as redemption for a time a may have lost my arse.

Do not short change yourself.

However if you feel you may have some other gain by giving a client what you mutually feel is a bargain to jim/her maybe this could lead to further monetary gain in the future?

You win some you lose some.

When I get a bargain I look at it as redemption for a time a may have lost my arse.

Do not short change yourself.

However if you feel you may have some other gain by giving a client what you mutually feel is a bargain to jim/her maybe this could lead to further monetary gain in the future?

I couldn't have said it better.

It all balances out in the end but Mark should do what HE feels is the BEST for him, financially, and for the honor of his good name.

I would ask what I originally intended to when I placed my maximum bid. Why LOOSE money when you got a GREAT deal?! Pretend every buyer who sees it at your table has never seen it before. If they try to use the "I know you didn't pay much for it, so I wont let you make alot on it," Don't sell it to them, its not like you price the coin to take advantage of other collectors. Tell them cthat the seller made a profit and you intend to also make a profit. I obviously don't know if the seller made money or not on the coin but the coin is YOURS, price it according to FMV. IMHO, if someone offers you less than $300.00 don't take it because with a coin like that, someone WILL pay FMV or close to it without lowballing you.

I like the tonning and I BET that there is someone on here, at a show or on Ebay who doesn't mind paying more than the FMV for a nicely toned coin.

But if you start bitting your nails I have some of that pepper sauce you can borrow. (my son bites his nails, not me lol.)

-Dave

I like Shane's idea of consigning it to him!

It wasn't Shane's suggestion, but rather, DimeFreak's. ;)

Yet a great option when your having trouble with a price. No doubt its worth more than you paid for it. (thumbs u

Yet a great option when your having trouble with a price. No doubt its worth more than you paid for it. (thumbs u

You know, I am going to consider that option. If nothing else, it would be an interesting experiment.

You know, I am going to consider that option. If nothing else, it would be an interesting experiment.

It was DimeFreak speaking for Shane I'm sure...haha

It was DimeFreak speaking for Shane I'm sure...haha

And you are Shane, speaking for LincolnF4n, right? :D

Mr. Feld, you are most ethical and while an expert such as yourself may regard that nicely toned Morgan dollar at a sizeable premium, there are tons of those out there. To my thinking the principle is who is benefitted and who is hurt by any given transaction. If the answer is no one or unknown then go ahead.

Mr. Feld, you are most ethical and while an expert such as yourself may regard that nicely toned Morgan dollar at a sizeable premium, there are tons of those out there. To my thinking the principle is who is benefitted and who is hurt by any given transaction. If the answer is no one or unknown then go ahead.

Thank you, and please feel free to call me Mark.

Who's this L1ncolnF4n?

Your twin, but unlike you, a con man, hence the name "L1nconF4n" ;)

Mark,

I'm disappointed that you would attempt to bold a typo of my name that was never made ;)

-L1ncolnF4n

This type of situation comes up every once in a while. And when it does, I usually have a difficult time deciding what to do.......

I viewed, liked very much and placed a maximum bid of $423 for this coin.

But I won it for only $258.

If I'd had to pay my maximum bid of $423, I would probably list the coin for sale at approximately $500.

But since I won it for only $258, 1) I admittedly think that my bid was possibly/probably higher than the coin deserved and 2) I would feel like a pig asking $500 for it.

What would you do if you were in charge of pricing it? Thanks.

For the record, the coin is not currently for sale. And, in order to avoid the potential issue of spam, I will not sell it to anyone who posts to this thread or contacts me as a result of this thread.

What is the gray sheet value? What you paid is irrelevant to what you would sell for, IMO. If you got a good deal, go ahead and make some money.

Well let me chim in on the subject since I happen to be an underbidder on that very coin....

I bid $200 ($235 w/buyer premium) becuase I thought I could get at least $300 to $350 for the coin on Ebay so I think that's the fair market value and I personally wouldn't list it for less than $350 based on it being a 65*. While the color isn't crazy it is attractive and there is at least some coverage on both sides. I usually consider common dates in 65 to be worth around $150-200 bucks and if this coin had the color without the star then I would value it at say $250. The market has spoken in reference to the star designation and generally I get at least a 50% premium for a star regardless of the color and many multiples of that when the color is monster.

$325-350. I do not think it is as nice as you apparently did (at least based on the photos), and neither did anyone else.

After re-examining the images of the coin, I have to agree with the above comment. Normally your picks are delightful to behold, but to me, this one is really hideously ugly, with an irksome unbalanced toning, and a very annoying and distracting vertical scraping right in front of the nose of Miss Liberty, made even worse by the way one of the scrapes touches the tip of her nose. Who'd want to put such an unattractive specimen in their collection regardless of grade or other attributes? Sometimes a coin can be so terribly ugly it becomes desirable out of strangeness, but definitely not this time. Could be you'll have a tough time getting rid of it for even a tiny profit, and it would probably be tougher to dispose of were it almost anybody else selling, but certainly good luck, please let us know if and when it sells.