• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few coins I've picked up...

18 posts in this topic

...but couldn't image well until recently. I'm hoping to get feedback from forum members. Please feel free to give your honest opinion but if you don't like a coin please let me know what about the coin you don't like (thumbs u Thanks for any thoughts.

1788O.jpg1788R.jpg1913O.jpg1913R.jpg1937SO.jpg1937SR.jpg1938DO.jpg1938DR.jpg

A post thats really about the coins in the thread, odd for todays posting fair. :) I like them all but the 1913 the least due to the spots. Nice additions for your collection to be sure.

Nice coins all, Winston. I like both the 1913 and the 1937S for their color from the wash(the spots do not bother me as they are quite common on the early Buffs and I do not find them distracting at all) and what is not to like about the 1938D with its fantastic lustre.

Congrats on some nice pu's.

Jim

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it! That Mass Cent is VG8. I won it in a Heritage auction a while back. I bought it because of its character and affordability. It’s nice to read that others can appreciate the coin even though it is a low grade.

Regarding the type 1 buffalo nickel - I thought that most of the buffalo nickels that had some toning also came with some carbon spots but I have trouble trying to balance the originality of this coin with the carbon spots. Does the originality of the toning justify the carbon spots in this nickel? Could I find a better example that has some originality? I’m not sure so it was nice to read peoples’ opinions on that.

The last Buff a D/S?

Very nice images. How'd you shoot them?

Just 1938 D. Thanks. I use a Canon 60D with a 100mm Macro lens set on a copy stand. I plug the camera into my computer so I can see the images on my computer screen and shoot them in "live shooting mode" (or something like that) from my computer. I find that method of remote shooting from my computer to be extremely helpful for getting the coins in focus. Previously, just shooting directly from the camera, most of my coin images were just out of focus.

big caliber gun for bison

When I lived in Colorado I owned a Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. I tried shooting it with one hand and the recoil threw the gun back up into my forhead above the bridge of my nose. I was concussed and staggering around with blood dripping down my face and my brother was yelling at me "PUT THE GUN DOWN! PUT THE GUN DOWN!" lol I sold him that gun the same day and he used it to hunt Buffalo, Javelina, and other animals you wouldn't want to have mad at you.

A post thats really about the coins in the thread, odd for todays posting fair. :)

Some days are better than others but we usually do fairly well around here. Thanks for your thoughts (thumbs u

That massachusetts coin is fantastic!The 1938 buff is just the way I like them,but is it the picture or is the i in five washed out?

Thanks. It's scuffing on the slab that's making it looked washed out.