• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1886 Morgan toned

22 posts in this topic

What do you think of this recent pick-up? I've had a hole in my album for a while and bought this while in a waiting room and only seeing the pics on my phone...impulse buy. These are the sellers pics and it is in an ICG slab.

1886_ICG_MS64_o.jpg

1886_ICG_MS64_r.jpg

Thumb print on the reverse around the word "United" and a few (though small) nicks make it look like an MS64 to me. Based on the color of the area surrounding the coin, it appears the white balance is a little to the "red shift" side in the images. It will likely be less pink in hand -- but I love that circle of blue on the obverse! (thumbs u

The thumb print gave me pause, but I am guessing it will be barely noticable in hand. This will get cracked out and put into a Dansco for my year set.

ICG graded it 64 which is what I would have guessed as well. To be honest I haven't had much issue with ICG grading on morgans. I am hoping the color pops in hand.

Deryk

Are you missing Kansas yet? Being a white type guy, I like this toner. Not over powering. Especially the obverse. The devise shows up well and the outer tone rings bring a touch of added class. For me, the reverse is a bit much and somewhat covers the eagle. Easily 64 and might get a 65. Difficult to tell without it in hand. Such is the way of toners.

Hope all is well with you. Thanks for the service you provide our country..

Chet

Chet there are things I miss about Kansas, but as far as that goes I don't plan on making my home in Kansas or SC which is where I am now. If all goes well I will end up back home in Montana.

Coin is in hand, it is a lot darker than the photos would lead to believe, not sure if I like it now that I have it in hand. Gonna have to think on this one and get the wifes opinion.

My advice to you is this: Darkly toned coins are often difficult to sell, and if you have reservations now, you will likely regret not returning it later. I would return it personally.