• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A first for me and I need a little help from NGC and the forum...

76 posts in this topic

Today I received the following note from an Ebay buyer who bought a blue toned dime from me in an old NGC no line fatty holder.

i received the coins and was very upset i will wait for your explanation before filing a claim as the counterfitted toning on your dime was removed from NGC and reslabbed. I have sent the images which I'll be emailing you to investigations at NGC and eBay as it is illegal to re slab a fake toned coin

Michael

He didn't wait for a response he filed a fraud claim with ebay and then sent me a link to his website which shows his images of the supposedly fradulent slab and conveniently my business card.

Website claiming fake slab with my business card next to the slab

Here is a link to my original auction...note I even mentioned that there was some chipping on the corner of the slab which is pretty common for this old holders.

1963 Proof Dime NGC PF68

So can members here or NGC staff please post their opinions as to the authenticity of the slab and toning? The color is very typical of a coin that toned in the holder which we know happened all the time with these old slabs and I have dozens of other examples.

I offered the buyer $200 dollars if he sent the coin to NGC and they said the slab has been tampered with or the toning is AT...I don't believe he plans on doing that but the offer stands. I plan to send him a link to this thread once the opinions start getting posted. The bottom line is the coin is still fully sealed as it has been for the past 20 plus years and the toning is as NT as it gets but I can make the buyer believe it.

The chips are there, but there is nothing in the image to suggest that the integrity of the slab and the certified coin were ultimately compromised. The toning looks normal and acceptable. Your auction description clearly states that "[t]here is some chipping on the front top edge of the slab[,] but it doesn't affect the integrity of the slab in any way." There was full disclosure of the slab damage. You have done nothing wrong, the buyer doesn't know what he is talking about, and I would appreciate it if you would forward me his eBay ID so that I can block him.

Edited to add: I have dozens of NGC old no line "fatties" and there are some that have similar chipping in the same locations. This is not unusual.

P.S. This also illustrates why I hate selling items on eBay that are valued at less than certain levels; you are forced to deal with novices who have no clue what they are doing or dealing with. At the very bottom of the pricing tier is usually where all of the pain in the butt bidders are located.

I think I would offer to pay return shipping and refund in full, this should satisfy eBay completely. I doubt if the buyer even verified the cert#. He may well be in violation of the terms of the icloud site by making a false accusation as well.

Get the coin back, spend the money for return shipping and save the balance of the $200 you offered. Then let us know his eBa ID, please.

The slab has obviously never been tampered with and the tone looks natural to me.

This seems over the top for a $33 coin.

The buyer clearly has no clue what he is talking about. The slab has not been compromised, and the toning is completely and unquestionably original. Offer a full refund, get the coin back, block the buyer, and tell us his name so we can also block him. No use dealing with insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

I have no concerns about the coin or the holder.

Shane, if you think it might help, please feel free to let the buyer know what my background is and have him contact me. I would be more than happy to vouch for you, the coin and the holder.

Life's too short to worry about people who lack common sense and reason. If he got the coin in hand and didn't like it since you have a return policy he should just take you up on it, period.

Making such a bold accusation in my world SCREAMS that this person is just trying to bust your chops. He better be an expert on AT/NT to take such a position. Ask him about his credentials.

In your communications with E-Bay I'd underscore the fact that he doesn't know what he's talking about but sure likes to hear himself talk anyway. He has complained to E-Bay, and WILL leave negative feedback. This is guaranteed.

If I were you I'd wait til you get the coin back, refund him his $33 then we can have a block party. Since you should have his home address I'd follow up by having 6 yards of pea gravel dumped in his driveway............but that's just me.

In my opinion, from what was shared in this thread, the buyer has quite a bit to learn about coins, slabs and human interaction.

I bought a few slabs that had massive chips on the edges.. but everything else was fine. As for the toning, I can send you pictures of my Dansco that is filled with blue Roosies...

Ill piggyback off what Mark said, send him my email.. I would more than happy to vouch for you.

kenneth.b.forsythe@us.army.mil

New quote from unhappy buyer "Counterfiet Toning".. Im coining this phrase.

(:

you think with over 3200 feedback the guy would know more

ask him about this coin he has for sale - a $33 coin with a BIN of $2500

tell him SMS coins are not that rare in 68 and he is committing fraud trying to imply it is a pop 1

1966 NGC SMS MS68 he has for sale

You are p i s s i n g up a rope with this guy . I would just cut my losses and totally block this guy and just give him the dime to be rid of him.

wheat

Ebay was quick to find in his favor without contacting me but that's really no surprise and I have no problems honoring my return policy I just think it stinks that I have to refund his original shipping price after all the he has pulled but it is what it is :facepalm:

I can certainly afford to lose $4 shipping but on principal alone...the seller loses once again which seems to be common place on ebay. Their methods and policies leave a lot to be desired and only fuel these type of buyers to continue in their ways.

you think with over 3200 feedback the guy would know more

ask him about this coin he has for sale - a $33 coin with a BIN of $2500

tell him SMS coins are not that rare in 68 and he is committing fraud trying to imply it is a pop 1

1966 NGC SMS MS68 he has for sale

That is ironic, isn't it?!

I contacted him about it and he claims that his coin came from a roll and is MS, not SMS. I told him that he should take that up with NGC. But that in the mean time, since NGC labeled it as SMS, his listing, stating that the population is 1, is false and misleading.

lol....I don't know how he has the feedback he has...I seriously asked if he was on medication last night and he said yes but the coin was still tampered with...true story lol

I truly do not know how many people have access to that account. If you read the about me page, it talks about a non-profit helping inner city youth. It has another website listed and says they take donations - it could possibly be legit and kids are doing some buying and selling.

Shane,

sorry to hear of this crazy situation. I guess if you drive enough you will eventually get a flat tire. It would take alot to have a negative effect on your stellar reputation. Aside from the headache im sure this gave you, I wouldn't worry about any long term negative. Just some crazy people out there I guess.

Nick

Shane, I wouldn't really worry about it. In the worst case scenario. eBay orders you to refund his money, which he had the opportunity to do all along. With regards to your reputation, anyone with two eyes any reasonable modicum of intelligence can see that you have not altered the coin. Your reputation won't suffer (you have a stellar reputation as it is, and people will tend to trust you over some bidiot). I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It's a shame that it's happened Shane. Clearly as all stated, the buyer didn't know a thing about what he was talking about. Sometimes I think ebay should make people fill out a pychological questionare from time to time to verify they are still somewhat sane. lol

Sometimes I think ebay should make people fill out a pychological questionare from time to time to verify they are still somewhat sane. lol

The results could be very interesting and disturbing.

Also Shane, for the record, I would warn the buyer about his potentially libelous statements on his website that pictures the coin, an image of your business card with your name and contact information displayed, and the heading "fake toned and re-slabbed NGC coin." To me this would anger me the most about this whole ordeal. I would also advise the buyer that you did not authorize the reproduction/unauthorized publishing of your insignia on your business card on his website, and that he is infringing on your intellectual property rights.

e-Bay is a breeding ground for loonie bin buyers and flippers. You sir, happened to snag one one of these on the back of their head. Catch and release while they are still breathing.

Take a deep breath, move on and don't let these pitfalls knock your stellar reputation.