• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have to sell of these, and am very torn

88 posts in this topic

In order to fund a new purchsae, I have to sell one of these coins. I dont want to, but you cant keep everything right?

I like certain attributes of both coins. I know the obvious answer is to keep the AU55, and that is what im leaning towards. But what would you do?

1798halfeagle.jpg

1800halfeagle.jpg

Ankur

I like the 1800 much more so I'd keep that one.

Which one do you like more? hm

jom

Seems like you've made a decision. I like the EF 1800 coin, but the other piece has a lot of non-monetary "character" including the gunk, cracks and die breaks.

jom

It's like picking between two children lol

Apparently you are somewhat apathetic, so why not sell them both and keep the cash on hand.

If they were mine and had to get rid of one, well I think having anything pre 1800 would be awesome, so I'd have to keep the 1798.

If they were mine and had to get rid of one, well I think having anything pre 1800 would be awesome, so I'd have to keep the 1798.

(thumbs u

The mint only made 4,500 of the 1798 and almost 40,000 of the 1800... But there is a huge price gap between the two so I would sale the less valuable coin and lower grade coin. I'm assuming that the purchase will be funded by only having to sale that one 1798 coin though. Both are awesome super rare coins!

Yeah but your about to adopt a new curtain climber ;)

I'd keep the younger 1800 dated munchkin and swap the older 1798 kiddo which had a rougher paper route.

Selling either won't be enough to fund my newp, but will take a big chunk out, that's for sure.

I need to slow down....

Some questions to consider:

What matches the rest of your set better?

Which one is rarer?

Which one would you be able to recover your funds better?

Which one would be harder to replace?

Which one has better eye appeal?

Which one is more original?

If you sell one, will that raise enough cash for the purchase you need?

If you really don't want to sell one, is there some other source of cash you can tap?

Based on these questions, and how I weight their relative importance, I would probably keep the 1798 and sell the 1800. But your answers (and importance) may be different.

There is something special about a US gold coin from the 1700's. I would make every effort to keep both coins rather than cannibalize my collection to buy new coins. Remember that most collectors buy at retail prices and sell at wholesale prices.

I paid a very fair price for both actually. The 1800 had some trade involved in which I benefited greatly. I could make good money on either. Lets just say the coin I am funding is one that does not come up very often, at least truly problem free.

Man this is tough...

jom

If that's the case, sell them both.

lol

jom

If you can sell something else---then I would.

Otherwise, I'd keep the more expensive higher graded one----I am assuming that they are one in the same.

Cannibalizing one's collection of nice rarer pieces to buy some other piece, unless you are getting an even rarer piece, is normally a sign that you should slow down for a bit.

I would definitely sell the sports cards, and keep the coins.

If selling one coin, I would sell the lower grade coin, don't much like the lower grades in anything.

The other piece is a 1807 $2.50 in PCGS XF45 CAC. Very few CAC examples have come on the market.

I wouldn't sell either of the coins to finance the purchase of this coin.

The other piece is a 1807 $2.50 in PCGS XF45 CAC. Very few CAC examples have come on the market.

I wouldn't sell either of the coins to finance the purchase of this coin.

+1

So you're selling one of these to buy a green bean? ;) Doesn't seem like a fair trade.